Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Metal cutting question...

Anyone know what kind of a blade I would need to cut through a heavy-duty 14-gauge powder-coated steel stand?

I just bought one of these http://www.everlast.com/workout-kits.html) from a jackass who doesn't know how to use a measuring tape - he told me it was between 6'4 - 6'6 tall from base to top... its 7'3 1/2 without any mounting hardware on the top, 7'4 1/2 with the hardware. I have a 7' ceiling in my basement and can't go above that

So now I have to decide to either call him back and yell till he takes it back or cut 6" out of the middle, I have no concerns that the stand will still be stable after the cut and redrill of holes but I don't know what to use to cut the stupid thing.

I have a saws-all... not sure what blade will work? Is this regular cutable metal or something hardened and more difficult?

Any suggestions?
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default Re: Metal cutting question...

Any metal blad will probably work fine on that. It's pretty lite.

Personally I like a grinder with a cutting blade best for cutting metal, but the saw-zall will work too.

(Schuylkill County)

The book answer is you want a tooth per inch that keeps at least two teeth on the metal at all times. But that looks pretty thin and IIRC 32-48 is a pretty small blade that will clog up more than it cuts.

I would say a trip to your local Harbour Freight for a $15 grinder and use the cut off disk.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Farbmeister View Post
    The book answer is you want a tooth per inch that keeps at least two teeth on the metal at all times. But that looks pretty thin and IIRC 32-48 is a pretty small blade that will clog up more than it cuts.

I would say a trip to your local Harbour Freight for a $15 grinder and use the cut off disk.
    I don't have a local Harbour Freight

Don't think I have access to a grinder either but I'll look around.

Going to have to drill some holes too... Hooray!
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Clarion County)

It's probably cold rolled lite gage steel and should not be too tuff to cut,good luck!!

(Washington County)

Pretty much any metal cutting blade in the sawzall should do it. I doubt it's hardened.

Vince
    www.bloomautomatic.com - Golf Ball Launchers for AR-15, SKS, FAL, and many others

www.bloomautomatic.com/lbsc - Long Branch Sportsman's Club, Long Branch, PA

Quote Originally Posted by dman View Post
    It's probably cold rolled lite gage steel and should not be too tuff to cut,good luck!!
    Local Lowes or Home depot, Ace Hardware?

pipe cutter prolly could do it too, mind you you will need more then just bolts and holes to put it back together, looks like it may be one piece up and down with curves at either ends, how do you plan on "Piecing" it back together?

A smaller pipe or steel rod inside might work well, but there will always be some sway at the joint. Maybe go to a muffler shop and ask them to bend you an other pipe or flange (Spread) the one you already have to the same pipe is actually the part you bolt on...
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Lawrence County)

i'm gonna go the opposite way here and say CUT A HOLE IN YOUR CEILING!!!! YEAH BABY! MAKE THAT BASTARD FIT! hahahaha

nah, just go buy a cheap grinder from home depot and a cut off wheel... OH YEAH, AND A GOOD SET OF EYE PROTECTION! cut that shit outside... it makes a mess....
    "Do not use K-9 advantix on cats"

(Beaver County)

Bring it to me this weekend and we can toss it in the bandsaw and cut it, and weld it back together. It will take 15 min to do. If your not in the mood to drive, a 4" grinder (Beg, borrow, or steal from a friend or relative...) with a simple $2 cut off wheel will do the job. Welding it would be the strongest way to put it together....do you or any pals of your weld? Get 2 or 3 cut off wheels, your going to make 2 cuts...you may wear one cutt-off wheel down before you finish.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
    Local Lowes or Home depot, Ace Hardware?

pipe cutter prolly could do it too, mind you you will need more then just bolts and holes to put it back together, looks like it may be one piece up and down with curves at either ends, how do you plan on "Piecing" it back together?

A smaller pipe or steel rod inside might work well, but there will always be some sway at the joint. Maybe go to a muffler shop and ask them to bend you an other pipe or flange (Spread) the one you already have to the same pipe is actually the part you bolt on...
    thats not an issue - the upright support is actually 2 pieces that sit on top of each other with a round metal tube inside that is used to connect them, so there won't have to be any rejoining, just redrilling new holes... if I had to deal with rejoining or bending i'd be taking it back.

thanks for all the advice guys!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast