Rear Sight: Novak® Lo Mount Carry
    Grip: Hogue® Rubber
    Frame: Large
    Finish: Black Anodized Frame/Melonite Slide
    Material: Scandium Frame/Stainless Steel Slide
    Overall Length: 8.7"
    Weight Empty: 32 oz.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

First and foremost I would like to point out that this is not your grandfathers 1911. It does not please the 1911 purist, nor does it carry all of the atributes that made the 1911 so legendary. The SW1911PD is a modern, sophisticated side arm wrapped in a classic package designed for enhanced PD and civilian carry alike.

With the invention of the polymer pistol the world changed, for professional and civilian carry alike the name of the game was weight. The less weight anyone had to lug around the easier the job was and the less that sidearm was left home. Many firearm companies stepped up to the challenge and began offering "Air Weight" and "Ultralite" models. This was acomplished by using soft aluminium and then molly coating it to harden the surface. Smith & Wesson saw this niche in the market and responded with the industries best and brightest.

Scandium is a light weight alloy, tough as stainless tool grade steel but light as aluminium. Combined with a Melonite finish the pistol has extrodinary luster and corrosion resistance. The rest of the market is in shambles trying to catch up.

Having a stainless slide and Scandium frame gives the sidearm amazing ballance when a loaded magazine is inserted and yet you will be hard pressed to notice an unfavorable recoil penalty for such weight.

Combined with the new alloy, the SW1911PD combines all of the favorite updates to this classic sidearm. Novak low mount three dot sights, light weight skeletonized hammer and trigger, beavertail grip safety with firing pin block to prevent discharge when droppped, and a picatinny rail for mounting the latest in light and laser technology. Controversially the SW1911PD utilizes an external extractor instead of the internal version. This was done to enhance reliability.

Let it be remembered that even JMB himself had given up on the internal extractor in his later designs.

The SW1911PD shoots as nice as it looks. The pistol has superb lock up and extremely tight slide to frame fit. The internal parts are thick and heavy, and the MIM steel is kept to a minimum. The barrel is a match grade barrel with a clean polished feed ramp. I have had no problem shooting all of the popular hollow point rounds, as well as lead cast ammo. The sidearm comes with two 8 round magazines and works exceptionally well with the Wilson Combat 42D mags.

I have been carrying the SW1911PD for about 6 months and I could not ask for a better sidearm. At the range it consistently outshoots me, and during the course of the day I hardly know it is there. I trust my life and lives of those I care for with this sidearm everyday.

The SW1911PD combines all of the modern features offered by the polymer pistols in a 1911 package. For a modern update on this old classic I think you will be hard pressed to find anything superior.

Last edited by JDePietro; January 12th, 2009 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Grammer, an S here a comma there.

Default Re: Review: SW1911PD

simply stunning gun, and i believe you when you say its accurate on the range. whats the value of this gun??? and i simply love the accessory rail on the bottom

Quote Originally Posted by JDePietro View Post

The SW1911PD combines all of the modern features offered by the polymer pistols in a 1911 package. For a modern update on this old classic I think you will be hard pressed to find anything superior.
    [/LEFT]
    JDePietro,

I own only two 1911s: the SigArms GSR Carry (commander sized) in SS, and the S&W Model 108282 full sized in SS.

Both companies have great customer service.

Both 1911s feature external extractors, firing pin block safeties along with all of the more desirable pistol qualities--- rounded edges, Novak lo-mount sights (GSR tritium night sights), checkered back & front straps, and minimal to no MIM parts.

Having said that, though both carry well, the GSR is a better shooter than the S&W out of the box. I am dead accurate (X-ring) with the GSR, while with the S&W not so much. BTW, I am not the greatest shot.

For my money, though the S&W is not to far behind, the Sig is the one I trust to protect my life.

Stay well.

---elston
    Last edited by elston32; January 11th, 2009 at 11:55 PM. Reason: punctuation

"I have always been fond of the West African proverb: 'Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.'" - Theodore Roosevelt, January 26, 1900.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ! - King Leonidas I, 480 B.C.
    When seconds count, the police are only minutes away. - modern adage.

But it has a rail......

Otherwise a beautiful gun. I've been looking at a S&W 1911 I'm thinking of buying....
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

Great review, and a beautiful gun!
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Bucks County)

I like the fact S&W lost the BILLBOARD that used to be on their 1911, or maybe they still have on another version, I dunno. A handsome looking piece, for sure, except for the rail..not a fan of that.

Quote Originally Posted by QuakertownRich View Post
    ...except for the rail..not a fan of that.

My sentiments exactly!!

Stay well.

---elston

"I have always been fond of the West African proverb: 'Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.'" - Theodore Roosevelt, January 26, 1900.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ! - King Leonidas I, 480 B.C.
    When seconds count, the police are only minutes away. - modern adage.

(Chester County)

good review, i love my sw1911pd 4.25" , i wish it had rails though! hehe it would look even nicer with a full length rail, full length dust covers are SEXY
    Last edited by c.sander; January 12th, 2009 at 01:22 PM.