Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default What are you thoughts on a single action pistol for defense?

I was looking at Kimber pistols today and I like the feel of them very much. The only thing I'm unsure about is the one I'm looking at (Ultra II) is a single action. Just wondering how that would work in the heat of the moment when you need to fire it and you don't have to time to think about pulling the hammer back. You could also carry it with the hammer back and the saftey on but again you'd have to remind yourself to remove the saftey and seconds count. Thoughts, opinions? Thanks

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: What are you thoughts on a single action pistol for defense?

1911's are fine and my primary pistol of choice. Not so fond of Kimbers but I do own one.

Manipulating the safety is a non issue because its placement is such that it is extremely ergonomic to engage and disengage and becomes an instinctive part of the drawtsroke and gun handling of the 1911 in general.

Don't let the manual safety dissuade you from choosing a 1911 pattern pistol.

I BELIEVE THAT IF YOU PRACTICE WITH IT ENOUGH AND PRACTICE DRAWING IT LIKE YOU WOULD IN A COMBAT SITUATION THAT IT WILL BECOME 2ND NATURE TO AUTOMATICALLY COCK IT OR DISENGAGE THE SAFETY. I THINK YOU WILL BE FINE BY GOING WITH THE ULTRA II

(Centre County)

You shouldn't be carrying or using ANY gun for self defense that you are not intimately familiar with. You should know all of it's functions without having to think about the steps to bring it to ready. Also, a SA 45 is safest in condition 1 (or called cocked and locked, round in chamber, hammer cocked, safety on). Then when needed you grip, flip the safety off and you are ready to go. If you decide not to carry or store it with the hammer cocked, it has to be automatic that if you need it you must cock the hammer.

I must reiterate; do not carry a gun that you don't know how to operate blindfolded. That gun should be an extension of your self. If you have to think about what to do with the gun......it's too late.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    You shouldn't be carrying or using ANY gun for self defense that you are not intimately familiar with. You should know all of it's functions without having to think about the steps to bring it to ready. Also, a SA 45 is safest in condition 1 (or called cocked and locked, round in chamber, hammer cocked, safety on). Then when needed you grip, flip the safety off and you are ready to go. If you decide not to carry or store it with the hammer cocked, it has to be automatic that if you need it you must cock the hammer.

I must reiterate; do not carry a gun that you don't know how to operate blindfolded. That gun should be an extension of your self. If you have to think about what to do with the gun......it's too late.
    Good post..
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Lancaster County)

Thanks Ron, by the way this is Dave Clark in Lititz. My S/N is dlclarkii. Well I'm sure I'll get use to a gun once I buy it and shoot it at the range frequently.

Single Action Pistol? Why not?

I am talking about a Colt SAA style. I have the Ruger Vaquero Bisley.

.45 long colt. Shoots a big hunk of lead. Load it up, load it down. Even will fire the .45 colt short, the schofield. I can't remember what its offical name is.

Cowboy action, home defense, deer hunt if you have good sights.

Ever look down the muzzle? You can roll a bowling ball down that.

I never have, and hope I never will, but if you cock that and point it at the badguy, odds are he will put his hands up and simply surender.

At least they did that in the western movies.

(Chester County)

Agree on C&L...don't agree on hammer down on loaded chamber.

There is absolutly zero reason to ever carry with your hammer down, or at half-cock on a 1911 w/ a loaded chamber.

If you can't get over having your gun C&L, then carry empty chamber and rack one in during your draw stroke (also stupid, but at least it's safer than dropping a hammer on a loaded chamber, or counting on being able to thumb a hammer back).

The 1911 is a wonderful design, but if your unwilling to carry it C&L pick a different gun.
    Also, an Ultra II is probably not the best place to start with the 1911 platform.

(Allegheny County)

I carry a 1911
    Train so that when you grip the gun your thumb is resting on the safety. When you come up from low ready to the fire position you take off the safety.
    It is part of the drawstroke, practice it as such
    I like an extended thumb safety, very easy to work.
    When you get familiar with it it wont just be part of your draw but also part of your grip.

When i shoot my GLOCK or other guns now i feel like my thumb is just out there is space, and its odd to not have that thumb rest. i have gotten very used to it.

(Centre County)

Dave, thought it might be you. You'll learn it like you learned the Ruger. Just keep practicing.

theicemanmpls, that was my first thought too. I have a Ruger NMBH in 45 LC and it is a big bore. Had a guy look at it (not real closely) and said what is it, a 22? Told him to look at the barrel. He looked and just went "Holy S**t" LOL

synergy, I agree that it should not be carried that way but some do even against the solid arguments why you should carry C&L or none in the chamber. I'll say "told you so" when they shoot themselves on the thigh, foot or worse, the rotten potatoes area.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast