Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Bradford County)

Default Re: PA Humane Officers to start carrying guns for defense

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    This is actually a duplicate of a thread in General... the Humane Society is a privately run company. they are not officers, they are not police, and they should NOT be serving warrants or investigating ANYTHING.
    I realize that this is a old thread, but felt the writer needs to be informed, if he isn't already. In PA, Humane Police Officers are full police officers for all humane issues. They are trained and certified through the Dept. of Agriculture. They can be firearms certified through Act 235. Yes, we can file charges from summaries to felonies. We conduct investigations and can execute search warrants for humane cases. We also assist other agencies when they have animal issues, such as doing a drug raid and there are dogs there. As for the Humane Societies, they are Non-Profit 501c's They are not privately owned companies.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Iraqvetwpb View Post
    I realize that this is a old thread, but felt the writer needs to be informed, if he isn't already. In PA, Humane Police Officers are full police officers for all humane issues. They are trained and certified through the Dept. of Agriculture. They can be firearms certified through Act 235. Yes, we can file charges from summaries to felonies. We conduct investigations and can execute search warrants for humane cases. We also assist other agencies when they have animal issues, such as doing a drug raid and there are dogs there. As for the Humane Societies, they are Non-Profit 501c's They are not privately owned companies.

Yes, I laughed when it was said that they "should not be going in without police present".

I laughed because "they ARE police".

The animal shelter where we volunteer has a Humane Police Officer. (we used to have 2)
    Not sure if he's armed - I don't typically look at guys in that general "waist/ass/crotch" area.

As long as they only shoot people.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Lackawanna County)

And for what it is worth, lo these many years later, U of S Police are a fully accredited municipal police agency, and the officers trained, sworn police.
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by chrisjames_71 View Post
    Not quite true, York College of Pa has an ORI and they have NO police officers, just security guards. Just cause they have an ORI, doesn't mean they are sworn police. There is search feature for ORIs and when you search YCP, it comes up as "Non Criminal Agency" (at least I think thats what it said. Been awhile since I looked at it.
    Taken from their website:

The York College Department of Campus Safety is staffed with twelve professional campus police officers, four part-time parking enforcement officers, an office staff and 30 trained student security officers. The majority of student officers are enrolled as criminal justice majors at YCP. Training for student officers consists of over 40 hours of classroom training and approximately 40 hours of on-the
    -job training. Training is continually provided throughout the year.The campus police
    officers are full-time employees and are required to complete Pennsylvania Act 235 Training. In addition they must complete other courses such as arrest/search/seizure, criminal law and procedure, officer safety, sexual assault response, intoxicated persons
    response, Incident Command System (ICS), Management of Aggressive Behavior (MOAB) and response to College emergencies. They are also required to complete annual in-service training for legal updates, firearms training and qualification, re-certifications and other campus safety related topics.Enforcement Authority of Security Personnel and Inter agency Cooperation The campus police officers are sworn special officers under Title 22, section 501 of the Pennsylvania Code. They have powers of arrest while on College property and on immediately adjacent public property. Campus police officers make arrests and issue citations for summary violations of the Pennsylvania crimes code and detain suspects for suspected misdemeanor or felony crimes

(Bradford County)

Yes it was a bit funny. I am a Humane Police Officer. My ID is issued by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and it states, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, Humane Society Police Officer. Then my name and the shelter I work for. issue date and expiration date.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Iraqvetwpb View Post
    Yes it was a bit funny. I am a Humane Police Officer. My ID is issued by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and it states, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, Humane Society Police Officer. Then my name and the shelter I work for. issue date and expiration date.

God bless you.
    I couldn't do a cop's job without wanting to bash in skulls. I certainly wouldn't deal well with people who mistreat animals.
    That said, I guess you just focus on the good that the work does instead of the bad.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Not sure if he's armed - I don't typically look at guys in that general "waist/ass/crotch" area.
    I'm disappointed in you. Talk about bad situational awareness. If you don't look how would you know what was about to go down?

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by eyecanshoot View Post
    I'm disappointed in you. Talk about bad situational awareness. If you don't look how would you know what was about to go down?
    “be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    “be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
    Sounds like a walk in the park.

In Chester.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast