Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger SP101

(Schuylkill County)

Default Ruger SP101

I'm thinking of getting a hammerless SP101 in 357 for CC. Do you recommend this gun, and if so what barrel length would be best for CC? I'm a big guy (6' 275) so it's a little easier for me to CC without printing but my Sig Pro is a little too big to CC comfortably, especially in warmer months.
    Last edited by HamburgBoy84; January 11th, 2009 at 12:24 PM. Reason: grammar
    Happiness is warm gun (bang bang, shoot shoot)

(York County)

Default Re: Ruger SP101

I've got the SP101 with the 3.06" barrel and a Hogue Monogrip I don't carry this one too often, but it does conceal well with a vest or something of that nature. The Hogue grip really tames recoil, but works against concealability. My SP101 has a hammer spur. Since (IMHO) the revolver is too heavy for pocket carry, I'd rather have the exposed hammer.

The SP101, IMHO, makes a better weapon for a glovebox (for a vehicle) or a desk drawer at home or work.

Again, just my opinion, but a lightweight snubby with .38 +P ammo carried in a pocket is one of the best and easiest ways to carry a handgun. Now, pocket carry is where the spurless hammer excels.

I sure do reccomend the SP101 otherwise. It's a hell of a nice revolver!

Soberbyker carries the exact same gun the OP describes. I hope he responds to this thread.
    Last edited by RoyJackson; January 11th, 2009 at 01:08 PM.

Here is a link to an SP-101 thread from a while back. http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/39...ger-sp101.html

Soberbyker has some pics of how he carries it. It is very easy to conceal with the BladeTech IWB holster. I know because I got one after seeing his.

I dearly love my 3" SP101. It's my constant companion and of all the guns I've ever owned it's one of my favorites. I love it for it's versatility, compactness, ruggedness, power, accuracy, and even it's looks. I also love it for it's weight, which it has plenty of. I like the weight in such a compact revolver because it helps tame rounds that are otherwise a challenge to control in lighter revolvers, and because it helps make a day at the range comfortable and a lot of fun. I can (and often have) drop two hundred rounds a day through it and not have a sore hand.

But that weight is an enemy of your stated purpose. It's a pretty good chunk of metal in a pocket. I HIGHLY recommend the SP101 for darn near any purpose, but pocket carry is the one use I do not recommend it for. If you can handle practicing with one of the ultralightweight snubbies (12-18 ounces), I recommend one of them instead.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Montgomery County)

I'm not too big (yet ) 5'10" 175 lbs and I have no problem concealing the 3" in a IWB typically crossdraw.

To the best of my knowledge, you have never been able to get the 3" in a spurless model. If you find you can let me know! I've been offering up to exchange my spurred for spurless parts.

Quote Originally Posted by -JD- View Post
    I'm not too big (yet ) 5'10" 175 lbs and I have no problem concealing the 3" in a IWB typically crossdraw.

To the best of my knowledge, you have never been able to get the 3" in a spurless model. If you find you can let me know! I've been offering up to exchange my spurred for spurless parts.
    I don't think Ruger made a spurless 3" model. A spurless gun is generally going to be meant for things like pocket carry, and for that use the extra length is a hinderance instead of the help I usually think it is.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Schuylkill County)

I'm looking at the 2" in hammerless for CC. Not planning on pocket carry, more like IWB. Thanks for the updates guys. Guess I have to start looking for one pretty soon.
    Happiness is warm gun (bang bang, shoot shoot)

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by RoyJackson View Post
    I've got the SP101 with the 3.06" barrel and a Hogue Monogrip I don't carry this one too often, but it does conceal well with a vest or something of that nature. The Hogue grip really tames recoil, but works against concealability. My SP101 has a hammer spur. Since (IMHO) the revolver is too heavy for pocket carry, I'd rather have the exposed hammer.

The SP101, IMHO, makes a better weapon for a glovebox (for a vehicle) or a desk drawer at home or work.

Again, just my opinion, but a lightweight snubby with .38 +P ammo carried in a pocket is one of the best and easiest ways to carry a handgun. Now, pocket carry is where the spurless hammer excels.

I sure do reccomend the SP101 otherwise. It's a hell of a nice revolver!

Soberbyker carries the exact same gun the OP describes. I hope he responds to this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    Here is a link to an SP-101 thread from a while back. http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/39...ger-sp101.html

Soberbyker has some pics of how he carries it. It is very easy to conceal with the BladeTech IWB holster. I know because I got one after seeing his.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeWilliams View Post
    I dearly love my 3" SP101. It's my constant companion and of all the guns I've ever owned it's one of my favorites. I love it for it's versatility, compactness, ruggedness, power, accuracy, and even it's looks. I also love it for it's weight, which it has plenty of. I like the weight in such a compact revolver because it helps tame rounds that are otherwise a challenge to control in lighter revolvers, and because it helps make a day at the range comfortable and a lot of fun. I can (and often have) drop two hundred rounds a day through it and not have a sore hand.

But that weight is an enemy of your stated purpose. It's a pretty good chunk of metal in a pocket. I HIGHLY recommend the SP101 for darn near any purpose, but pocket carry is the one use I do not recommend it for. If you can handle practicing with one of the ultralightweight snubbies (12-18 ounces), I recommend one of them instead.
    Bolded red pretty much says it all, as Mikey said I carry mine IWB in a Blade Ultimate Concealment holster (I almost always have a black shirt on so the grip blends in well), it would be hard to carry in a pocket without suspenders, it's a heavy gun, but that's the attraction for me. I carry and practice with full power .357 magnum rounds, coupled with the Hogue Monogrip it's not hard to handle the power at all. By the way, my SP101 has the 2.25 inch barrel.

Thumbs up on the gun itself, but maybe not for pocket carry.

Bill

(Somerset County)

that ruger is just sweet ! i was looking around for a 9mm to carry but when i held that ruger i just fell in love with it. the one i was looking at was smooth but there was a hammer that came out when you pulled the trigger. i am not sure of what they call this set up spurless is my guess. but in any case this one was a 2 1/2 in barrel i think. it would be great for cc with the right holster. i like the autos but i love the reliability of a revolver especially a Ruger and the ability to carry a great round like 357 mag is just up my alley.

(Dauphin County)

I have the SP101 w/ 3.06" bbl. I have been looking for a holster for it online, but everything says it is for the 2" bbl. This may affect your decision, unless the longer barreled gun would fit in the same holster (if the end of the holster is open). Any of you guys know the answer to that? I'd be interested to know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast