Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Collier Sportmen

I just bought my first gun a XDM 9mm and I would like to join a range.
    I live close to Collier Sportmen range, do you know how can I contact them and become a member, any comments about the place ?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Collier Sportmen

Yeah, Collier Sportsmens Club is a great club to join. The ranges are nice and clean for the most part, and its currently only $60 per year for your dues. That is a small price to pay to not have to go to the state game lands. But since it is a club you have to know someone that is a member and they have to sponsor you. Sort or a lengthy process , but i feel that it is worth it. They have a pistol range, rifle range, archery, and trap shooting.

(Allegheny County)

I traveled and moved quite a bit when I was younger.
    When searching for a place to shoot / join, I found that many clubs had a similar requirement (must have a member sponsor you in order to join).

You may simply wish to show up at a monthly meeting, ask to speak, then announce your intent. In nearly every case I found that either a member in attendance would endorse me, or that I would be referred to a senior member or board member who would speak with you, meet for lunch, or allow you to shoot once or twice as their guest - all to "interview" you so as to be able to endorse your membership.

Most any club is glad to receive new, responsible applicants for membership.
    Many senior members / retirees enjoy meeting with new folks, especially novice members who they can "teach" so as to share our sport.

Should you have no luck with Collier, PM me for info on the Coraopolis District Sportsman's Association (about a mile from I 79 exit 64 or 65). I can also offer info and instruction as to pursuing a concealed firearm permit / license to carry firearms if you wish.

stay safe ...

NRA Certified Instructor / PA State Constable

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ultraseven View Post
    I just bought my first gun a XDM 9mm and I would like to join a range.
    I live close to Collier Sportmen range, do you know how can I contact them and become a member, any comments about the place ?
    I live very close to Collier as well. You may want to get a list of their range rules before putting out the cash.

I believe they are on my "too restrictive range rules" list. I don't remember what but it is but probably something like 1 or 3 rounds in a rifle and 6 in a pistol (something on this nature). Check with them on holster presentations if it's something you want to do. Check their hours.

Coraopolis is a good but small range and has indoor facilities for pistol. I am a member there.

Dormont / Mt Lebo is said to be a nice club but presentations from a holster are prohibited so even taking any type of self defense class or doing training drills is against policy.

Pitcarin/Monroeville is probably one of the better ranges in Western Pa. I just rejoined there as well.

No mag limits, multiple pistol bays, indoor range, nice clubhouse, shotgun, rifle pistol , archery. They have CMP, IPSC and a host of other firearm related functions. You can just about get your own pistol bay to practice shooting on the move or setting up some steel to shoot at.

They also are the club that the FireInstitute utilizes for their one day handgun clinic, 3 day tactical pistol and carbine classes, shotgun courses. Well, here, check them out http://www.fireinstitute.org/

Good luck.

I thought there is a list of range contacts on this forum somewhere.

27hand
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Allegheny County)

Talking Re: Collier Sportmen

Thanks for the replies, I found the contact number and I've colled them, the lady at the phone mentioned I'll need two members to sponsor me, I asked how to do that and she recommended to go there to one of the meetings as some of you mentioned and contact some of the members. I'll visit them on the next meeting if possible.
    WhiteFeather thanks for your offer , I hope everything will work, I really want to spend sometime with my son shooting, we'll buy a shotgun for skeet and trap as soon as I get a place to shoot.

(Allegheny County)

Thumbs up Re: Collier Sportmen

hey ultraseven i am a responsible shooter and live close to collier sportsmans club. I was wondering if you had become a member and if you liked it there. Also i was wondering if you would be willing to help me get in. Thanks

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by repsol1000 View Post
    hey ultraseven i am a responsible shooter and live close to collier sportsmans club. I was wondering if you had become a member and if you liked it there. Also i was wondering if you would be willing to help me get in. Thanks

Hi Presto Guy or repso,

Bridgeville guy here. I'm getting ready to renew my PMSC membership now that I have a few unemployment checks under my belt.

You probably have read why I don't care for collier but if it's close to you and you don't mind the restrictions then enjoy it.

I would like to get into McDonald but it's a bit high.

later
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.