Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Scoping the Golden Boy

I got a new Golden Boy .22 from Santa and I have been thinking about scoping it because the old eyesite isn't what it use to be. I bought the mount and along with the brass forearm ring from Henry and found a gunsmith in lower delaware who has done a few already (drill and tap into the barrel). I almost hate to do it because the rifle is a site for sore eyes and when I lay the gun on the floor with the 3x9 on top it just takes away from the western look. Has anyone gone through with this?

Default Re: Scoping the Golden Boy

I felt your pain when I read the title of the post! If you need it to shoot, then I say go for it. I am a bit of a purist, but whatever floats your boat.
    Jules

(Wayne County)

My dad has one in .22 mag and one in .17. He did the same on both. Bought the brass strap for the forestock and put scopes on both. He's in his mid 60s and pretty much needs the scopes. So, if you really need it, well, you need it. I shot them and the scopes were positioned uncomfortably high for me and they weren't even see through mounts. At least they have the mounts that attach where the rear sight goes instead of tapping the receiver. THAT would be sacrilege!

I have the Big Boy in .44 magnum and I love it. However, I would never think of scoping it, even for deer. But I mostly use it when I'm hunting thick brush like rhododendron thickets for deer and bear and I may only have 50-70yards of visibility.

I guess it really depends on how you intend to use it. If you're using it for squirrel hunting you'll need the scope. If you're shooting pop cans in the back yard at 30 yards, maybe not. Try it for a while. If you don't like it, you can always put it back.

The one really HUGE caution I'll throw out from experience is this, be very careful about dings and scratches on the stock. They're supposed to have hardwood stocks but they almost appear to be a veneer or they impregnate the outer surface w/ resin. All I know is that the stocks don't scratch like normal wood. They chip! Looks like hell and for the price, I'd expect better. With some TLC, you'll love it, whatever you decide.

(Cumberland County)

I guess you have to pick whether to hang it on the wall or use it.

It's not that bad. Here's my Henry H001T with a scope. The trick is to get something nice and small, not one of those "hubble telescope" size sniper scopes. That's a 4x32 Weaver mounted on the rifle..

The H001T has the same octagon barrel as your gun, just minus the flashy brass. When I mounted the scope, I had to remove the rear sight. When I knocked it out, lol and behold I discovered underneath the sight that the barrel was already drilled and tapped for the cantilever scope mount! I didn't need that, since the H001T already has a 3/8" dovetail on the receiver (another difference from the GB). Apparently Henry will drill & tap barrels on request and somehow my gun got a barrel once destined for a GB.

Anyway, the point being that if your gunsmith drills & taps at the same location, you can easily revert back to the open sites without any obvious visual clues. The rear site will cover the holes.

Don't forget to get a hammer extension.

(Allegheny County)

Best Henry forum on the web;

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...splay.php?f=67

And, the Henry wood is American Walnut, AFAIK - Missouri.
    My first H001 had a chipped corner of the butt, it was an absolute solid piece of walnut - no veneer or laminates.

(Perry County)

If you want a scope but don't want to completely ruin the vintage or old west look (and have the money), look into a short malcolm scope.

http://www.hi-luxoptics.com/index.ph...d=37&Itemid=52

they even have a specific mount for the golden boy where no drilling or tapping is required.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by nfafan View Post
    And, the Henry wood is American Walnut, AFAIK - Missouri.
    My first H001 had a chipped corner of the butt, it was an absolute solid piece of walnut - no veneer or laminates.
    Any clue as to why they chip and not scratch? I've got rifles that are much older had much rougher use, but they don't wear. Could it be some weird, cross-grain woodworker knowledge thing?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    Any clue as to why they chip and not scratch? I've got rifles that are much older had much rougher use, but they don't wear. Could it be some weird, cross-grain woodworker knowledge thing?
    No idea, but a great post to put over at the Henry subforum of Rimfirecentral - the big kahuna of Henry; Anthony Imperato himself, pops in there from time to time and at least monitors the posts.

Yeah, I was a bit put-off by the chip. It may just be a walnut thing, or the type of walnut they use for the stocks. Maybe they are too dry?

I have a .22 Lever Action (not the Golden Boy) and have a small Simmons scope on it for the groundhogs. I love the way it looks, it just mounted right onto the receiver.

They're just like small children, Its an EGO thing, " well if I can't have it this way, then I want it this way"..WAAAAAH - BrownBear (speaking of liberals)

(Philadelphia County)

I went into my gun shop and was planning on buying a 10/22 until they showed me the golden boy and H001T. I want one of them but don't want to spend more than $100 on a scope since I'm not going to be competing or anything. Any recommendations?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast