Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Franchi Renaissance

What are your thoughts on a Franchi Renaissance? I understand Franchi is a sister company to Beretta and some of their autoloader technology was used in the newest Benelli's. I'm interested in the over/under for trap, probably the 20ga. with 28" barrel. Thanks in advance!
    "Cause remember: no matter where you go.....there you are" ---Buckaroo Banzai

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Franchi Renaissance

Obviously I am biased. I have the Franchi Renaissance Classic Combo, 20ga/28ga.

I believe that Franchi, Benelli, Stoeger, and Uberti are kind of sister companies. They are all imported together. They are owned by beretta, but are somehow separate.

The shop I got my Franchi from no longer carries Beretta shotguns and said they are a HUGE PINA to deal with almost like they don't want there products being handled by any but the largest dealers.

I love my Franchi Renaissance, and hate to say anything bad about it, but a trap gun it is not.

It is very light weight which is great for carrying in the field. I shoot a light shotgun as well as a heavy one for clays, but most people find a heavy gun better on the clay field.

A light gun will also have more recoil than a heavy gun, which is a big consideration if you are shooting a lot or shooting heavier loads.

I have shot a few hundred rounds of both 20 and 28 ga through my gun on both the skeet and sporting clays fields and took the 20 ga set to Alaska and shot Sharptailed Grouse with it.

A big plus to me is that has mechanical set triggers instead of inertial triggers.

Only one complaint, probably common to new owners of SST O/U's. You must move the safety FIRMLY to one side or the other before pushing it forward or the 2nd barrel will fail to fire. Once I figured out that it was operator error concentrated effort on proper procedure quickly became second nature.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Franchi20/28 View Post
    I love my Franchi Renaissance, and hate to say anything bad about it, but a trap gun it is not.

It is very light weight which is great for carrying in the field. I shoot a light shotgun as well as a heavy one for clays, but most people find a heavy gun better on the clay field.

A light gun will also have more recoil than a heavy gun, which is a big consideration if you are shooting a lot or shooting heavier loads.
    How about the Franchi Renaissance Sporting competition gun? 12ga only but weighs in at 7.9lbs with a 30" ported barrel. http://www.franchiusa.com/firearms/r...e_sporting.php
    "Cause remember: no matter where you go.....there you are" ---Buckaroo Banzai

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bucks_Man View Post
    How about the Franchi Renaissance Sporting competition gun? 12ga only but weighs in at 7.9lbs with a 30" ported barrel. http://www.franchiusa.com/firearms/r...e_sporting.php
    Never touched one, but all the dimensions are the same.
    If you like the fit of the Franchi it would make a much better choice for a trap only gun.

Make sure you try a bunch on for fit. I was originally looking for a Beretta, none to be found locally, 2nd choice was Browning, but every one I put to my shoulder all I could see was the back of the receiver.
    Better to start with a gun that you like the fit of than one you like the look of.