Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default I handled a gun for the first time

First, because it's a courtesy on most boards to mention this... I've posted this elsewhere, too. I'm just trying to interest and learn from as many people as I can. That said, I am excited to share my journey here because so many of you are my neighbors!

---

I wasn't raised in a gun friendly environment. My guardians weren't especially 'against' guns, but I live in one of the country's biggest cities and no one in my family hunts or is in the military or owns 'open' property, etc. So, no one in my family is comfortable with guns and thus I was never exposed to them.

Fast forward a while and I'm 22 and I'm suddenly interested. I've been doing research online for a good while and I've decided that I want a semi-automatic pistol, and eventually when I feel comfortable and safe enough with it (probably not for a good while), I'd like to carry it on my person. With all of that considered, today I went to the shop...

The model I'm most interested in (based solely on things like reputation, feature list, aesthetics, price, et cetera- obviously 'how natural it feels in my hand' is something important but something I haven't tested yet, either) is the Springfield XDm, 9mm. I handed over my identification and I got to fiddle with one.

My impressions, as a first time gun toucher!...

this thing is heavy!

this thing is mechanical and powerful!

this thing does not 'ease' in any direction!

The magazine release buttons easily popped out the magazines, but two things in particular that I found surprising: actuating the slide, and flipping up the disassembly lever. Intellectually, I'm glad that they don't move at a feather's touch, but I guess that growing up as someone who thought that guns fired when you looked at them... I didn't expect the resistance.

I'm healthy and able of body, and so I wasn't actually 'unable' to work the slide or anything, but I was definitely surprised by the resistance (and yes, I know to depress the grip safety). Just in general I thought "man, I'd be astonished if any little kid could easily rack the slide on this weapon".

I'd read the entire manual for the XDm so I was easily able to field strip it and reassemble it (I asked the worker at the counter if that was okay, not knowing the etiquette... he said that was fine). Everything is so heavy duty and solidly built!... something ya'll might find amusing: after freezing the slide with the slide stop, I let it slam back home for the first time and it did so with such quickness and power that I jumped a little bit and almost dropped the weapon. The guy at the counter was cracking up.

This post isn't about the XDm- just semi-auto pistols in general. I imagine any of the big polymer, striker-based semi-autos would leave similar impressions upon me as a newcomer.

From here, my next step is signing up for a class (nomenclature, safety rules, actual shooting, etc.) with a few of the ranges in my area. I'm going to take the total 'intro' class at both, just in case either instructor handles a topic the other neglects. I'm also a member of a regional forum for guns in my state... and a few of those guys are very friendly and I think will volunteer to show me some things. I'm excited about the entire process and I'm very aware that versus some people (especially people who grew up plinking cans and hunting and such) I'm a decade+ behind on fundamental safety awareness and everything, and I don't plan to rush the process. I am very eager to learn, though.

---

I don't know how many of you are like me (complete newbies to guns), but I thought those of you who grew up with them would find this interesting.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: I handled a gun for the first time

Welcome to PAFOA neighbor.
    If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words.

(Montgomery County)

Welcome and good luck. You are taking the enlightened path, educating yourself on what, how and why.

If you were surprised by how the pistol felt, wait until you see how difficult it is to shoot well and quickly. Save up some money for a few cases of ammo and good instruction.

Rep to you for seeking out training.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

Well you already know the difference between a magazine and a clip, I'd say you're off to a good start!
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

(Philadelphia County)

Thanks, guys.

I was given the information for a guy who gives 2hr lessons on Saturdays at the Firing Line (front and Tasker streets)... and I'm also going to check out SPAG at 8th and Ellsworth... apparently they have considerations for new shooters as well.

Is there anywhere else accessible by SEPTA that I should know about?

Thanks for the good laugh. +1 to you for a great attitude. Post up any questions you might have.

The one thing I could add to this for you is that the pistol will feel different with a loaded magazine. I thought everything was really really top heavy and nothing really felt right, so I went with the H&K P2000 as it was the best of everything I tried. Once I got it loaded the balance issues were 100% better. I have a big hand and so the swapable back straps were perfect for me. I hate grip safey devices and prefer, for a carry gun, something with no external safety. After you get used to the concept of carrying, and feel safe with the "gun that might go off if you look at it wrong" (I felt this way about Glocks at first, but most guns, stock, you won't have to worry about), you will come to realize that external safeties are extraneous.
    How pissed are you gonna be if you die before the Zombie Apocalypse comes? - - IANAL

(Bradford County)

Awesome post. Just wait until you shoot one for the first time, you'll be in love. I believe this could be the beginning of a long and expensive hobby, but one that certainly has its benefits. (you'll need it when the zombies attack)

As a person who has handled guns since I was about 12, I would say you haven't missed too much. Obviously you'll be working with a higher maturity level, and you won't have to put up with the 9 year wait I'm going through to get a LTCF.

Welcome, and stay safe!

(Allegheny County)

Welcome to the forum, and yes, speaking as someone who has had firearms in the home from the day I was born, it is interesting to hear from the perspective of someone who is new to all of this.

Sounds like you're off to a good start. There are many things that you will learn to be untrue in regards to what you may have "learned" on television. Like Steve mentioned, hitting what you are aiming at, is much more difficult than Hollywood would have you believe.

A basic handgun course is a very good idea. Also, don't be embarrassed to start out with a .22 caliber firearm. They are good for learning basic skills, and are very fun and economical plinking/range guns.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Berks County)

Great Post Running Fast. Welcome to a very knowlegable board. The people here will be able to answer most of your questions - as they have mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Welcome to the forum, and yes, speaking as someone who has had firearms in the home from the day I was born, it is interesting to hear from the perspective of someone who is new to all of this.

Sounds like you're off to a good start. There are many things that you will learn to be untrue in regards to what you may have "learned" on television. Like Steve mentioned, hitting what you are aiming at, is much more difficult than Hollywood would have you believe.

A basic handgun course is a very good idea. Also, don't be embarrassed to start out with a .22 caliber firearm. They are good for learning basic skills, and are very fun and economical plinking/range guns.
    I'm actually getting tired of being kicked around by my .40S&Ws and am looking to buy a Walther P22...its a funny hobby....
    How pissed are you gonna be if you die before the Zombie Apocalypse comes? - - IANAL

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast