Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Police Exchange Gunfire With Would-Be Shadyside Bank Robber

Just goes to show that even an armed police officer in uniform won't always deter a stupid criminal.

BTW the officer was off official duty standing a detail as a bank guard in uniform.

http://www.squirrelhill.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2539

http://www.wpxi.com/news/18438305/detail.html

Hospitals On Lookout For Patient With Gunshot Wounds

Thursday, January 8, 2009 – updated: 10:28 pm EST January 8, 2009
    PITTSBURGH -- A Pittsburgh police officer exchanged fire with a man they said was involved in the attempted robbery of a Shadyside bank Thursday afternoon.

The attempted robbery took place at the National City Bank at the intersection of Walnut and Ivy streets, police said.

According to police, the man aroused suspicions because he wore his hood tied tightly around his face with only his eyes and nose visible.

When the officer on-duty as a bank guard yelled, “Stop,” police said the man pulled out a silver handgun and fired three times, and the officer fired back twice.

"When he spotted the off-duty police officer, the actor had his hand in his pocket," said Pittsburgh Police Chief Nate Harper. "It was shaking. Then he ran back out the door, telling the officer, 'Don't even try it.'"

The officer pursued the suspect on foot toward Myrtle Way.

"Next thing, I heard four or five gunshots," said witness Ravi Reddy. "I didn't realize they were gunshots. That kind of thing doesn't happen here in Shadyside."

However, after police found a substantial amount of blood at the scene, they believe the man was hit before fleeing in what a witness described as an older model silver Toyota sedan.

"My colleague actually saw him run with a silver weapon in his hand," said Reddy.

Police have not identified a suspect at this time.

They have alerted Pittsburgh-area hospitals to be on the lookout for gunshot victims.

Anyone with information is asked to contact police.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Police Exchange Gunfire With Would-Be Shadyside Bank Robber

crazy! my now wife lived a block from there for 2 years until we got married this year! she used that bank all the time...

(Indiana County)

Okay, she's familiar with the bank's layout and operating practices.

Does she have access to an older model Toyota sedan?

Is she okay?

Inquiring minds want to know.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveM55 View Post
    Just goes to show that even an armed police officer in uniform won't always deter a stupid criminal.

BTW the officer was off official duty standing a detail as a bank guard in uniform.

http://www.squirrelhill.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2539

http://www.wpxi.com/news/18438305/detail.html

Hospitals On Lookout For Patient With Gunshot Wounds

PITTSBURGH -- A Pittsburgh police officer exchanged fire with a man they said was involved in the attempted robbery of a Shadyside bank Thursday afternoon.

The attempted robbery took place at the National City Bank at the intersection of Walnut and Ivy streets, police said.

According to police, the man aroused suspicions because he wore his hood tied tightly around his face with only his eyes and nose visible.

When the officer on-duty as a bank guard yelled, “Stop,” police said the man pulled out a silver handgun and fired three times, and the officer fired back twice.

"When he spotted the off-duty police officer, the actor had his hand in his pocket," said Pittsburgh Police Chief Nate Harper. "It was shaking. Then he ran back out the door, telling the officer, 'Don't even try it.'"

"Next thing, I heard four or five gunshots," said witness Ravi Reddy. "I didn't realize they were gunshots. That kind of thing doesn't happen here in Shadyside."

However, after police found a substantial amount of blood at the scene, they believe the man was hit before fleeing in what a witness described as an older model silver Toyota sedan.

"My colleague actually saw him run with a silver weapon in his hand," said Reddy.

They have alerted Pittsburgh-area hospitals to be on the lookout for gunshot victims.

*bold and size are mine

Seems to me, from the bolded sections and the other stories, the guy was absolutely deterred by the officer. He ran away, was pursued, then exchanged shots. The quoted story has sections of the story related out of chronological order, but if you read it it tells you he spotted the guard, ran out the door telling the guard to not even try it, was chased, told to stop, pulled his gun, then the gunshot exchange took place......

So I don't see how this is an example of how a criminal was not deterred by a uniformed officer. It seems to me that he was not only deterred, he was identified as a potential problem, he decided to run, he was wounded. It's a good story to post, but the theme seems convoluted.....

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Allegheny County)

Bold mine ...

No shots were fired inside of the bank. The shots were fired outside of the bank.

My understanding from talking to someone that was in the bank when this happened ...

The came into the bank with the gun in his hand. The officer draw his gun and yelled at the kid to put down the gun. The kid ran and the cop followed. The kid then shot at the officer and the officer returned fire hitting the kid. BTW, there has been multiple times when someone dressed "unusual" came into the bank, saw the cop and left in a hurry. Obviously, the kid in the story didn't stake out the bank at all. They have had a cop there for I believe a good 5 years now.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Lackawanna County)

[...] "Next thing, I heard four or five gunshots," said witness Ravi Reddy. "I didn't realize they were gunshots. That kind of thing doesn't happen here in Shadyside." [...]
    I never tire of hearing "But, that sort of thing never happens here; this is usually such a nice, quiet neighborhood." statements from ignorant people.

My definition of ignorant: Adjective. Clinging to a (most typically, more comfortable) bit of fiction, seemingly in spite of reality.
    Cogito, ergo armatus sum.
    ...Say that to my face.

(Cumberland County)

All silver weapons need to be banned in Pittsburgh. Please bring this up at the next city councel meeting.

Hey, you're not allowed to point weapon at a police officer in PA. There's a law!!!!!

(Northumberland County)

Ah yes, the "bad things dont happen here" line.

They must have their "crime free dome" up.
    "The rifle is the weapon of democracy. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military. The hired servants of our rulers. Only the government-and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws." (Edward Abbey, "The Right to Arms," Abbey's Road [New York, 1979])
    I have my rifle. Do you?

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    *bold and size are mine

Seems to me, from the bolded sections and the other stories, the guy was absolutely deterred by the officer. He ran away, was pursued, then exchanged shots. The quoted story has sections of the story related out of chronological order, but if you read it it tells you he spotted the guard, ran out the door telling the guard to not even try it, was chased, told to stop, pulled his gun, then the gunshot exchange took place......

So I don't see how this is an example of how a criminal was not deterred by a uniformed officer. It seems to me that he was not only deterred, he was identified as a potential problem, he decided to run, he was wounded. It's a good story to post, but the theme seems convoluted.....
    I'm going to have to agree here... The uniformed guard, complete with firearm and karate chop action, served as a deterrent... and the criminal left. It was the pursuit which caused the violent confrontation.

(Venango County)

There were two officers present?

One 'on duty' as a guard.
    The other off duty (that pursued?).

Also a reference was made to "my colleague saw a silver handgun".

Confusing at best. Don't they teach nothin' in journalism schools no more???
    Last edited by TaePo; January 12th, 2009 at 02:17 PM.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast