Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lehigh County)

Default purchasing a handgun

ok so im going to purchase a handgun when i visit my parents in allentown... wether its at the army navy in whitehall or in cabellas on the way home... what i want to know is what is the waiting period?? i dont have anyting bad on my record.... no felony's or misdemenors.... nothing bad at all.... so if i go in would i be able to walk out with the handgun or would there be a waiting period for a background check... just concerned that if i go in and find a gun i want im going to have to come back from the other side of the state....

Default Re: purchasing a handgun

more than likely you'll spend more time deciding on what gun you want, than doing the background check and paper work.

(Lehigh County)

well i have a pretty good idea.... i was looking at an XD compact.... either in bi-tone or dark earth.. not sure yet.... its going t be my cc gun so im going with the compact so if i want the extended mag i can always go with that... there was also another one that when i was the army navy the clerk had me check out that felt pretty good too.... only thing is it was a full size doublestack so it would be a little big.... anyway hopefully thats the case... i might have to have it shipped out to my area then...

(Northampton County)

Yup, there's no official waiting period for purchasing handguns in Pennsylvania.

Now, there's a chance you may end up getting put into "research" by PICS, which would throw a wrench in the works... but that's the exception rather than the norm.
    Safety is a good tool for tyrants; no one can be against safety.

Μολὼν λαβέ

I was in Cabela's today, and it looked like the waiting period was verging on 30 minutes to get to the front of the line to pick up your new gun. People were filling out forms left and right, and then standing in line to get their gun as soon as PICS gave them the approval.

(Centre County)

No waiting period in PA any more. Pick out what you want, fill out the paperwork, do the background check, if good, pay the shop and walk out with the gun. If the background check puts you into:

1. Research; that means that something isn't quite right or one of the databases that get checked didn't respond in time, etc. Once the PICS person does the research they call the dealer back and give the answer. If go, you finish the transaction and get your gun. If no go (denied) then the dealer will give you the challenge form to fill out and send to the PSP. The PSP has 30 days to do their investigation and if everything is ok they issue you a unique ID number to use in the future.

2. Denied; that means some flagged the system to say you are not allowed. The dealer will give you the challenge form to fill out. Same as above.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Lehigh County)

awesome.... hopefully all goes well and ill have some pics up after the next weekend