Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Anyone buy handguns at Cabelas?

I get flyers in the mail with $100 or $150 coupons if you spend $500 or more. This will be a hell of an offer for a handgun. I'm waiting for my next coupons which Cabelas say they'll be sending it out soon. Are there any cons buying a handgun from Cabelas? Does anyone else take advantage of these offers? You may not get the best price but you'll definetly will with a $100 or $150 off coupon. I'll already have a $15 credit for signing up a Cabelas CC today which will go towards the coupon. Thanks.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Anyone buy handguns at Cabelas?

I have not bought any guns from Cabela's. But I don't think that it would be any different then buying from a local gun store. People here mention all of the time that they bought something from there.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Monroe County)

I used the exact same flyer right before xmas to buy my M&P - quick and painless transaction. Transfer fee was like 3.00?

My dad, best friend and I all picked up M&P's for about 375 each total out the door.

You can basically get a brand new handgun for less then you would be able to buy it severely used and beaten on.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Lehigh County)

holy crap.... where can i get one of those???? do i need to be on a mailing list?? would i be able to pick it up in the store?? just curious as well cuz i plann on buying from there this coming weekend...

I see no problem with someone buying from them, but if you can find a somewhat local dealer that can come close to their price after the coupons are figured in, I would buy from the dealer because the customer service and throw-ins can actually get you the better deal. It is nice to be able to talk with someone who really knows the guns they are selling. I won't fault anyone for buying at cabelas though, since I buy alot of misc. items there.

(Lancaster County)

Thanks. There were 7 guys working the counter today and they were older guy who seemed knowledgeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigrepp61 View Post
    holy crap.... where can i get one of those???? do i need to be on a mailing list?? would i be able to pick it up in the store?? just curious as well cuz i plann on buying from there this coming weekend...
    The last coupon was sent out just before Christmas. Just to make sure I'm on the mailing list to recieve the next mailing of the coupons. I signed up for their credit card today and got $15 free and a hat, lol. Cabela will be issueing those coupons again in the next couple of months. IIRC, it was either $100 or $150 off with a $500 or more purchase. And no, those coupons aren't available at the store, they're mailed to their subscribed customers only.
    Last edited by dlclarkii; January 11th, 2009 at 02:49 PM.

Con = their prices are a little higher than you can get from some local gun shops, though you have to factor in the fact that Cabellas charges $5 for the background check, while many local shops are charging $20-$25, or more. Local shops are using the background check as a profit generator, I think. No big deal, but added to the cost of the gun, and Cabella's prices on NEW guns are a lot more in line.

Con = their prices on used guns SUCK. Bigtime

Con = the lines can be extreme. I've seen lines 30-45 minutes to talk to a sales rep, then the time to look at and pick out a gun, then another 30-45 minutes while they run your background check, then another monstrous wait to actually pay for the thing. This can be dealt with a couple ways. First is careful choice of shopping times. Showing up at about 8 pm on a weekday night might give you the gun counter to yourself. Showing up on a Saturday afternoon may have you waiting till 8 pm on a weekday night anyway LOL.

Pros = they've got a big selection, and once you are getting service it's good.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Northampton County)

There used prices are deffinitly high. Some of the guns in the used rack were barely cheaper than the same new.

I waited there once for a half hour to look at something and then left. It was pretty late on a weekday.
    Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.JFK

(Wayne County)

The one big PRO I can give for Cabelas is the service. I picked up a Kel Tec P-11 a couple years back while I was down there buying boots and some presents. I normally prefer to buy from my local shops even if the price is higher just becaue they're part of my community and I believe it's worth the extra to keep them in business. With that said, with the coupon I had, the %-age reduction for signing up for a credit card and the fact that I could use my card points on my first purchase, there was no way that a local shop could beat the price even used. But that's NOT the reason I'd consider going back.

After taking my new toy home and heading to the range I realized that this Kel Tec was one of the problematic ones and not one of the peaches. The machining on the barrel was screwed up and it literally shot 8+ inches to the right at about 15 yards. I first confirmed that it wasn't just my substandard abilities by having a buddy try it out too. So I called Cabelas and they said "No problem. Bring it in and we'll replace it." So they had a new one shipped in from another store and in 3 days I had a brand new P-11 that shoots where it's supposed to. My understanding is that if this were to happen at most local stores, you have to contact the manufacturer directly and go through a moderately long process to correct the problem by shipping it back to them. I've also had very good service from them on a number of things that have popped up over the past 20 years. I've never had any complaints with service or products.

Having said that, if the difference in price isn't really substantial, consider it an investment in the community and buy locally.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeWilliams View Post
    Con = their prices are a little higher than you can get from some local gun shops, though you have to factor in the fact that Cabellas charges $5 for the background check, while many local shops are charging $20-$25, or more. Local shops are using the background check as a profit generator, I think. No big deal, but added to the cost of the gun, and Cabella's prices on NEW guns are a lot more in line.

Con = their prices on used guns SUCK. Bigtime

Con = the lines can be extreme. I've seen lines 30-45 minutes to talk to a sales rep, then the time to look at and pick out a gun, then another 30-45 minutes while they run your background check, then another monstrous wait to actually pay for the thing. This can be dealt with a couple ways. First is careful choice of shopping times. Showing up at about 8 pm on a weekday night might give you the gun counter to yourself. Showing up on a Saturday afternoon may have you waiting till 8 pm on a weekday night anyway LOL.

Pros = they've got a big selection, and once you are getting service it's good.
    I've bought a couple of guns there which I could not find anywhere else. One was a (barely) used Bisley Vaquero, which isn't made anymore. The price on that wasn't too hard to take, but just the other day I was in there with Mikey looking at an Ithaca trap gun. They wanted $700 for it. So I called Ithaca. They found a person who knew of the model I was asking about, and told me it was worth about $450 - $500. When I told her they wanted $700, the reply was, "You're bein' took". When I related this conversation to the man at the gun library, there was a lot of spluttering, but no change on the price. Oh well, it is not the only shotgun in the world.

For new guns, most "local" dealers will have a better price. A couple of years ago I bought a stainless Single Six from the Handgunner in Topton. I was in Cabela's a couple weeks later, and they had the exact same model, only it was $80 more!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast