Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default Recomend me a range

I live in lancaster and was a member at cocalico for 08 but I grew to really dislike the place and am not going to renew my membership , so give me some recommendations on a good range I can join. My father in law belongs to one near etown , err he lives near etown , that I go to with him but for the life of me I cant rember the name , this range is a strong possibility but want some opinions from others.
    Last edited by 40twist; January 8th, 2009 at 04:36 PM.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Recomend me a range

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by 40twist View Post
    I live in lancaster and was a member at cocalico for 08 but I grew to really dislike the place and am not going to renew my membership , so give me some recommendations on a good range I can join. My father in law belongs to one near etown , err he lives near etown , that I go to with him but for the life of me I cant rember the name , this range is a strong possibility but want some opinions from others.
    What did you dislike about Cocalico? I find it not a bad place, but it is strongly orientated to shotgun?

I believe the range you are thinking about near etown is Mt Joy Sportsman Association.
    Last edited by jack76590; January 8th, 2009 at 06:53 PM.

(Lancaster County)

Don't forget to look outside of Lancaster, like Lebanon and Dauphin Co. There are clubs all around. I live in Lancaster but I go to the Palymra sportsman club.

Milton Grove Sportsman's club is great. It's near the Lanc/Lebanon co. line in E-town. Great pistol range, 7yd, 10yd 20yd & 50 yds. 100 & 200yd rifle range, shotgun patterning range, and skeet. $45 yearly and very friendly people. Terry Fitzwater is the contact person. Great guy. You can call him between 6-9pm at 367-4790.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by jack76590 View Post
    What did you dislike about Cocalico? I find it not a bad place, but it is strongly orientated to shotgun?

I believe the range you are thinking about near etown is Mt Joy Sportsman Association.
    Jack , it really is just little things that irked me. I actually decided to go ahead and renew my membership but also decided to joing another range at the same time so I have more options. The thing that bothered me the most was when you would load all your stuff up and drive all the way there after checking that there was no closings on their website but when you get there they have everything closed and no one can shoot.

Something else , that I think is the same way at other ranges , is not being able to bring guests. Introducing new shooters into the sport is VERY important especially right now yet there is no way to do it. They used to have guests passes you could buy but they did away with that. Theoretically I cant even let my wife shoot with me. So she is getting a membership too

So I am still a member but for those days they have a surprise closing , now I have another option to use , that being Mt Joy.

(Lancaster County)

Have you checked out Manheim Sportsmen's Association. As for guest there it is $5.00 for an all day Guest Pass and they can be bought a head of time so you can go in when no one else is there to collect it and just leave it at the range or turn it in later
    --------------------
    Wayne

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag, carrying a cross." Sinclair Lewis 1935
    ---------------

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by 40twist View Post
    Jack , it really is just little things that irked me. I actually decided to go ahead and renew my membership but also decided to joing another range at the same time so I have more options. The thing that bothered me the most was when you would load all your stuff up and drive all the way there after checking that there was no closings on their website but when you get there they have everything closed and no one can shoot.

Something else , that I think is the same way at other ranges , is not being able to bring guests. Introducing new shooters into the sport is VERY important especially right now yet there is no way to do it. They used to have guests passes you could buy but they did away with that. Theoretically I cant even let my wife shoot with me. So she is getting a membership too

So I am still a member but for those days they have a surprise closing , now I have another option to use , that being Mt Joy.

tl3237 posted link to New Holland Rifle and Pistol club as well as Penn Dutch. If they are close to you I believe you might like they. Might like being a member of both, as they are only about 5 minutes apart. You can be at one range and hear shooting from the other. So if one club has crowd or activity you can just go to other. Cocalico and Mt Joy are quite a distance from each other.

With the choice in gun clubs available in the area, consider Cocalico a shotgun club and retain your membership if you are into shotgun shooting. However, cocalico still, I believes, lets non members shoot practice shotgun rounds at same price as non members.

(Lancaster County)

How about SLCFSA - Southern Lancaster County Farmer Sportsmans Association. Dues are $ 35.00 can shoot 7 days a week. Check out the web site at WWW.SLCFSA.COM

PM or email me if you want more info.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by campincatfish View Post
    How about SLCFSA - Southern Lancaster County Farmer Sportsmans Association. Dues are $ 35.00 can shoot 7 days a week. Check out the web site at WWW.SLCFSA.COM

PM or email me if you want more info.
    Members here are allowed to bring a guest (at no charge). Being retired, I have a pretty liberal schedule so if you'd like to try the club out you can also PM me and I'll try to accomodate you. (The more notice you give me. the better the chance I can make it.)