Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Taking my own 4473??

Since anyone can order forms from the ATF Distribution center, would there be any problem with ordering some 4473s and filling them in with all the info that is non-purchase specific (i.e. my personal info) and then taking one to a gun shop when I am going to make a purchase?

Has anyone done this?

I just think it would save some time filling out paperwork. For a rifle, just do the PICS and you are gone. For a handgun, quickly fill out the State Police form, do the PICS and you are done. Arguably, the 4473 is the longest part of the transaction.

Thanks!

(Centre County)

Default Re: Taking my own 4473??

I don't see how it will save to any time. You have to fill out the form no matter what. So you spend time filling it out a home or you spend time filling it out at the store. Also, most FFL's have their own unique serial number already on their form and many already have the FFL common blocks already filled in which they would then have to transpose on to your form. So there probably wouldn't be any time savings.

Also, as a business owner, especially someone that deals with firearms, what are your thought processes if a customer comes in and says, I already have a 4473 filled out? I know that I would actually take EXTRA time looking over the form to make sure that EVERYTHING is ABSOLUTELY CORRECT before I did anything with it. Remember, if you put something on the form that the FFL doesn't see (or accidently overlooks), THE FFL IS LIABLE, NOT YOU. And if something is wrong, HE is in trouble with the BATFE, NOT YOU. As an FFL, if someone came in with a prefilled out 4473, I wouldn't accept it. I'd make the person fill one out again. My business hinges on those forms being correct.

Now, you may argue that you can download the LTCF form and fill it in before going to the Sheriff's office, they don't care. That's fine, you will be told if anything isn't correct and you'll correct it on the spot. The Sheriff's office isn't going to be shut down/prosecuted by the BATFE for paperwork errors. You may argue that you prefill a credit card application before turning it in, fine, if anythings wrong, you pay the price of not getting credit. In all of the things you fill out ahead of time, if something is wrong, it only affects you. In the case of the 4473, anything wrong gets the FFL in trouble, not you.

Just my opinion as a FFL.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member