Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Sizing 9mm cases

I am using a Dillon Case Gauge to check my 9mm cartridges. I am having times where the cartridge doesn't drop in freely and protrudes slightly from the entrance and this is no matter what I do. I am using a Lee Factory Crimp Die so the case is actually getting sized twice. On other cases I don't have a problem. Are there just some 9mm cases that won't size down enough for one reason or another? And should I discard those cases as hopeless? Thanks in advance.

(Susquehanna County)

Default Re: Sizing 9mm cases

I gave up reloading 9mm a long time ago for a number of reasons. But, I reload LOTS of .45 ACP and also use a Dillon Case Gauge and yes sometimes I'll get one that sticks up a little on the first try, then makes it with a little help or on the second try. Those that don't make it all, will get the bullet pulled after I go over them with the caliper to try to detect what might be wrong, although usually I do end up discarding that piece of brass.

The Case gauge is a good thing if you're reloading for more than one pistol, if only one pistol though why not dismount the barrel and use the chamber as your case gauge? It's the same drill, and the case rim should seat below the hood. After all the pistol's chamber is the final gauge.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Lehigh County)

Default Help me out here.

For what purpose are you using a case gauge?

I've probably loaded 40 or 50 thousand rounds of 9mm and 45acp, not to mention equal amounts of 38 special and 357 and have never needed one, nor has a pistol case ever been trimmed.
    I'm not saying you're doing a bad thing- but why gauge each case? In a situation where you're going to carry, I can see it (or just use factory ammo for those occasions). You are spending a lot of time gauging rounds that headspace on the case mouth.
    Again, I'm not criticizing, you probably have a good reason for doing so, I am just curious what it is. No offense! Just my curiosity working.

(Susquehanna County)

In my case I use the gauge because I am loading for several cal. .45 ACP firearms.

The case gauge is cut to the minimum size of the standard chamber for whatever cartridge is being tested. So it checks for more than just case length. Any loaded cartridge that seats correctly in a case gauge should be able to seat and fire in the chamber of any standard firearm using that cartridge.

I don't gauge all of my cartridges, but I do gauge all of the cartridges that I'll be using in a match, though not always with the case gauge, sometimes I'll use the dismounted barrel from the pistol I plan on using in the match.

(Chester County)

Size a few and drop them in the case gage before you seat the bullet and powder. How do they look?

I also had problems, but for me, the LEE FCD helped a lot.

If you take out your barrel, how do the "big" rounds seat? I have a Midway case gage, and it always rejected a lot more rounds than a barrel check would. Is it Glock Brass?

(Lehigh County)

Thanks, Brick...I understand about the match ammo.

Plain Old Bill,

I reload for IDPA matches and don't need any FTF, etc during the match. I shoot a CZ SP01 Phantom. I guess I am going to have the take the barrel out of the SPO1 and use it in conjunction with the case gauge to determine which cases go.
    The_Vigilante
    "A man can never own enough guns."

(Chester County)

For what it's worth, go to http://www.leeprecision.com/html/HelpVideos/video.html and watch the video on how to properly setup the Lee pistol dies - you will EITHER crimp with the seating die (I do this on my .45ACP die set) OR you will omit the crimping on that die and run the factory crimp die. Set the dies according to the video and give it a shot. I have had my press/dies for awhile now and am about 500rds deep into reloading, but I went back and watched these videos and re-set the dies - no more problems.

I also found that I was flaring the case mouth just a wee bit too much. I now do the absolute minimum in order to get the bullet into the case.

It seems that when I'm shooting, the action of the gun will help the cartridge chamber correctly if it's a tight fit. Placing it into a case gauge may not do the same as the action, but I do understand the need for 100% reliability. I am only loading for range practice/target shooting, but plan on running 500rds shortly since I picked up 500 .45ACP 230gr Hornady FMJs for $50 Will store these for SHTF and will require 100% reliability.

(Lancaster County)

Um.........what's the hard part.........if they fail the case gauge then...........only use them for practice and not for a match!???

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclesam099 View Post
    you will EITHER crimp with the seating die (I do this on my .45ACP die set) OR you will omit the crimping on that die and run the factory crimp die.

but I do understand the need for 100% reliability. I am only loading for range practice/target shooting,

Will store these for SHTF and will require 100% reliability.

Snipped a bit to get what I want.
    Usually the seating die is manufactured with a "roll crimp" built in. If you are reloading for a semi-automatic pistol the headspace is controlled by the case mouth and you should not roll crimp! That is why Lee makes the factory crimp die and others make a taper crimp die. I suggest you delete the seating/crimp step and use a separate crimp die. You'll get better results.

As for flaring or belling the case mouth, use it sparingly and only flare enough for the base of the bullet to just enter the mouth without shaving.

In any kind of a match or SHTF scenario you don't want to have to deal with any kind of a failure.

I don't generally get very many that fail either the gauge or the dismounted barrel. 10 out of a 300 round reloading session would be many more than usual, so I'll check for obvious faults like cracks, bulges, length, out of round. Then I pull the bullet and recover what components I can, sometimes the case is salvageable, sometimes not. So to answer Franchi20/28's question if they fail the gauge they don't get used.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast