Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: curiousity

Default curiousity

well i just read on a website that you can shoot the .40 S&W out of a .357 sig. i thought you had to interchange the barrel for that to work. but it makes since considering the .357 sig started out as a .40 and they bottlenecked it down and they use the same clips as the 40 cal. any problems??? cause it sounds pretty iffy..

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default Re: curiousity

Not true.

+10

(Jefferson County)

Um... no...

The .357Sig uses .355" bullets. The 40S&W uses .400" bullets. Even if a 40S&W chambered, you'd have a grenade just as fast as you pull the trigger the first time.

The recoil spring is pretty much the same tension, it'd be a matter of just changing the barrels. The magazine for either should work with the other.

I'm sure you know this, but interchanging of cartridges should only be done with those that headspace off a rim and of the same diameter bullet, with cartridges rated less than the max power/pressure of the gun's rating.
    Last edited by knight0334; January 7th, 2009 at 07:32 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

thanks, and yes i thought it didnt sound right at all, hopefully the guy that posted it didnt try it out first hand. called smith and wesson a few days back and they said they dont sell barrels???? very curious about that considering how easy it is to take apart the M&P and interchange the barrels. has anybody ordered just a barrel from them or know where i would be able to find either 1 a 357 sig barrel or 2 a .40 S&W barrel for the M&P

(Cambria County)

Midway sells just the barrels but good luck getting 357sig.Stormlake has them but they're twice the price.

well thats even more of a reason to buy the 357 with the M&P and then buy the 40 seperate. thanks for the site doug x.

shocked that on midway the 357 barrel was like 10 bucks cheaper than the 40 S&W. heck 80-90 bucks isnt bad. i can already tell that i will have both barrels when i get the M&P. thanks again