Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lehigh County)

Default CAI Tantal or Atlantic/Interarms Tantal

I know of the issues regarding the CAI Tantal, but the cheaper price is such a lure to me, I just don't know if I should risk "playing the lottery" with this one and its massive keyhole issues, or go with the Interarms/AF Tantal. It's a little higher priced, but still has the original Chrome-lined barrel.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/beta...roduct631.aspx

$649.99 isn't too bad for me, the CAI Tantal is $489.99 on J&G Gun Sales. I just don't feel up to the risk after reading so many stories now. I have a CAI Tantal on hold from Boyers, but I may just cancel it out now and wait until the months end to purchase the Atlantic Firearms version. I asked Boyer what would happen if it would Keyhole, and they wouldn't take it back, and CAI blames the ammo and won't take them back either.

Help me out guys.
    Last edited by TheMan42; January 7th, 2009 at 06:45 PM.

Default Re: CAI Tantal or Atlantic/Interarms Tantal

Quote Originally Posted by TheMan42 View Post
    ... I asked Boyer what would happen if it would Keyhole, and they wouldn't take it back, and CAI blames the ammo and won't take them back either.

Help me out guys.
    Looks like you answered your own question (see bold, above). If you can fix keyholing for less than the purchase cost differential, buy the cheaper one. Otherwise, Atlantic is worth the wait and money.
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA Rifleman View Post
    Looks like you answered your own question (see bold, above). If you can fix keyholing for less than the purchase cost differential, buy the cheaper one. Otherwise, Atlantic is worth the wait and money.
    +1.
    OTOH; I'm just a paper plinker and its not a sniper rifle - so if it keyholes into a man-sized target at 100yds, I'd tolerate it due to the money saved. But again - just me.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by nfafan View Post
    +1.
    OTOH; I'm just a paper plinker and its not a sniper rifle - so if it keyholes into a man-sized target at 100yds, I'd tolerate it due to the money saved. But again - just me.
    See they're keyholing at 10 yards or higher and CAI says that if their Tantal isn't used with the 52 Grain Bulgarian surplus, the firearm will keyhole. Thing is, it still keyholes with that ammo.

Supposedly the issue is that Century replaced the original Polish barrels with their own Green Mountain barrels and not only are they crap, but also the incorrect bore diameter, they're actually .224 instead of being what 5.45 is supposed to be (I think around .221 or .222) - they actually put a 5.56 barrel instead. They also claim the rifle will Keyhole if the twist rate is anything but 1:9 - which is complete BS.

(Allegheny County)

10yds out? Oye, fugghetabout it.

As to the OP and the "which Tantal" - thinking out loud, maybe neither?

1. I have heard that Tantals have some proprietary furniture issues, much like the Yugos do. Changing it could be a challange.

2. The fact that the only cheap ammo is the so-corrosive-it-rusts-your-nostrils crap. The fresh factory Wolf is pricier than 7.62x39 at the moment. The good news is that 5.45x39 is starting a USA following in the AR world, so more will flow someday - but at a premo price.

3. AK-74 mags are now much pricier than ever before.

Maybe you would do better with finding someone willing to part with a nice 7.62 build? or one of the other Atlantic Arms 7.62 guns?

Or for a shootable investment; one of the factory SKS guns (-M or -D??) that take the 7.62 AK mags out of the box?

You can bet that you don't see those that often, plus - with the trade deficit and anti-gun sentiment in the govt - you'll see a hot female president before you see the cheap CHICOM stuff return to the USA.

Just some random babbling...