Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Thumbs up 11 year old girl interested in shooting sports

Hey all. my 11 year old girl has in interest in shooting sports. I got her into shooting archery, and she loves it. I've had her out shooting with me, and she likes the .22 handgun. My little .25ACP scares her though cuz of the long trigger pull. The other ones have just to much of a bang for her yet, and scare her, which is fine. I'm not forcing her into anything.

Question is, what would be a good first rifle for her. Is the Rossi youth .22/410 too small for a girl her age. She's as tall as her mother already...approx 5'0.

Is there something else that I should consider? I think she could get into the clay birds thing, but for now she loves plinking with the .22.

She'll probably never hunt. She was ruined before I came into her life...animal lover, vegetarian, blah blah blah.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Delcoadvocate; December 23rd, 2008 at 02:11 PM.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: 11 year old girl interested in shooting sports

Rossi(Brazilian made) Youth 22rf/410 or the NEF/H&R(USA made)22rf/410 or 22rf/20ga comparable version is a good place to start. Neither the 22 or 410 will beat her silly, which is one thing that scares alot of people real fast.

If she takes to it more, then you can get something that is more of an investment.

Take her to a gun shop and let her handle several to see what fits her frame. Then see if the chambering you need to keep her from being beat up is available.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Berks County)

How about a Marlin semi-auto .22LR with the tube magazine? Holds something like 18 rounds so she can shoot more between reloads, and they're pretty nice little guns!

Quote Originally Posted by Delcoadvocate View Post
    Hey all. my 11 year old girl has in interest in shooting sports. I got her into shooting archery, and she loves it. I've had her out shooting with me, and she likes the .22 handgun. My little .25ACP scares her though cuz of the long trigger pull. The other ones have just to much of a bang for her yet, and scare her, which is fine. I'm not forcing her into anything.

Question is, what would be a good first rifle for her. Is the Rossi youth .22/410 too small for a girl her age. She's as tall as her mother already...approx 5'0.

Is there something else that I should consider? I think she could get into the clay birds thing, but for now she loves plinking with the .22.

She'll probably never hunt. She was ruined before I came into her life...animal lover, vegetarian, blah blah blah.

Thanks.
    If money is an object, the Rossi combo is a good one. The safety is marginal at best. (it works fine, but is clunky) The trigger is also horrible. Have you considered a Marlin bolt action or a Ruger 10/22?
    Jules

p.s. Way to get her interested. I hope you guys are safe, and have fun together at the range. I have two up and coming, and can't wait to get them out there.

(Chester County)

My daughter started shooting my (hers, depending on who you ask) .22lr Henry lever at 10 and absolutely loves it. She's 12 now, and I just bought her (this time really hers) a NEF .410 single shot for trap, and she also shoots my Beretta 21A (pistol in .22lr), but prefers the rifle overall.

(Delaware County)

Thumbs up Re: 11 year old girl interested in shooting sports

Good input. I was considering the marlin 17HMR with black laminated stock and SS bull barrell. Figured the laminated stock gives it that "pretty" element, and the better quality would carry her longer if she gets serious about target shooting and would carry it's worth better if she doesn't and I sell it..or decide to keep it for myself. I found one instock at a local shop for $309.

But I never considered the 10/22, or the other Marlin 22 named. I like the Rossi for the cost aspect, but it's not a very nice gun, feels clunky as mentioned and I'm thinking it may actually be small for her since she is so tall already.

I Guess rather than rush into a purchase, I'll give her an I.O.U. and take her shopping after the holidays to see what fits. I didn't plan on it being a rush purchase but thanks to the dayum stomach flu going through my house for the past couple of weeks, not much has gotten done in prep for Christmas.

Thanks all!

Oh yea, I'm safe. Been shooting since I was 6. Started with the BB gun, worked my way up to the .270 that I got when I turned 14, and I still use that gun today. Being close to a grandfather that grew up and died on a farm has it's advantages. And I plan on instilling those same values/safety/habits in these kids, one way or another.

Take her to vegas ranges they let little 10 year old girls shoot desert eagles lol. All joking aside, I actually think its best for someone to shoot higher calibers before the lower ones. I think that if you shoot a 9mm first, there is a psychological fear of the .45 / .357 etc. you wouldn't have had if you had shot the .45 first.

First gun I ever shot was a m16 and the first hand gun I ever shot was the DE .50AE and it put a healthy respect of these weapons in my mind. I don't see anything wrong with her shooting an AR-15, it is easy to shoot. Give her some ear protection, that should muffle the noise enough that it will not scare her.

Quote Originally Posted by Delcoadvocate View Post

Thanks.
    Last edited by archangel689; December 23rd, 2008 at 03:49 PM.

(Montgomery County)

This is pretty.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=118959440

This is nice, and probably very accurate. Those CZ's have a great rep.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=119127434

This is interesting, and she could "grow" into the other barrels later.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=118816020

This is simply bad-ass if she likes pink

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=119173044

Good luck!
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

(Delaware County)

Thumbs up Re: 11 year old girl interested in shooting sports

Quote Originally Posted by 625 View Post
    This is pretty.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=118959440

This is nice, and probably very accurate. Those CZ's have a great rep.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=119127434

This is interesting, and she could "grow" into the other barrels later.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=118816020

This is simply bad-ass if she likes pink

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=119173044

Good luck!
    Sweet! Not much for narrowing my choices but never would have seen them other wise. Very interesting. I can hear it now..."oooh I like that one. Oooh oooh...and that one.... Oh wait... That one's cool!" LOL

(Cumberland County)

What about a pink cricket?

http://www.crickett.com/TheStore/Rifles/rifles.html

Model 221 or 226 (pink w/ stainless)
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast