Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Hybrid View

(McKean County)

Default Wheelchair carry

I just got myself a new M&P9 shortly before Christmas (Merry Christmas to me ) but haven't had a chance to see how it shoots yet. My question is, are there any others here that are in a wheelchair and carry? I'm trying to figure out what my best option is going to be for carry purposes? I don't know how much a shoulder setup would get in the way while "walking" so to speak. I sometimes carry my cellphone clipped to the underside of my wheelchair seat and figure there would probably be enough room between my knees to draw from a holster there. So what have some of you others found works best for carrying your defense gun?

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: Wheelchair carry

My friend Denny uses a regular OWB holster. I believe it's a Serpa... He has a cover garment and his wheelchair is electric, but it works for him... However, people are different and wheelchairs are different. It would all depend on how high your seat is in reguards to your armrests. I personally don't like shoulder harnesses, but that's me.

I know sitting down, having your gun cross-draw (gun on weak side, grip facing strong side) is very comfortable. I drive to Harrisburg a lot, like wednesday and Thursday I'll be there, and for the 4 hour trip it doesn't bother me or get in the way of my seatbelt... Try different ways and see what you like, but for sitting down, IWB and cross draw is hard to beat buddy...

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

(McKean County)

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm in a manual chair however and there isn't really any room along my sides in the waistband area so I don't know how that would work out.

(York County)

Shoulder holster with a jacket as covering garment?

(Delaware County)

Appendix carry?

Works great driving a vehicle w/a seatbelt on. Not belted into a wheelchair should work.

(McKean County)

Appendix carry?

More info....I'm not familiar with this setup.

I have been in a manual chair as a result of an SCI for 15 years and have carried for maybe the last 14. For the most part, I use a simple IWB crossdraw holster, but carry it on my bellt between it and my pants. When I can't wear a covering garment, I have a tuckable IWB, but I've replace the belt clip it came with it with a cell phone holster. This way there is no telltale clip visible on my belt. My carry gun is a Para Ordnance C7-45 "Para Companion".

I have tried both shoulder carry (with a S&W 3913) and ankle carry (with a S&W 638) and have found both to be clumsy as to accessing the gun. However, if either of these is the only method that works for you, it's better than not carrying a gun at all.

I would discourage carrying in any place other than on your body. A backpack would make access difficult amd it can be easily stolen in a crowd, Additionaly, if you get out of your chair to drive, either you will leave the gun on the chair where you can't get at it, or you'll need to transfer it from the chair to your driving position which could expose you to unwanted public scrutiny.

Although I haven't tried one, one of the litlle fanny packs might work, however those things scream "gun" to me on anyone but a jogger or a gal in a bikini.

(McKean County)

Thanks guys for the suggestions and they all seem to be good ones. I guess what I'm having the hardest time with is seeing how these will work in my seated position without really any room on my side in the thigh area? Perhaps somebody has a picture they can post?

I use a manual chair and carry a G27 daily. 1 word of caution...I would keep your weapon on your body and would not attach it to your chair. It is fairly easy for someone to flip a chair and effectively separate you from your weapon.

I use a blackhawk serpa OWB on most days...I do have a IWB as well that is used rarely. The chair back adds to my concealment ability for strong side kidney or SOB carry. (the chair also helps at businesses here in NH that use metal detectors...sets them off regularly and I throw up my hands and say.."this damn chair...always does that"...and 9 out of 10 times they just laugh and wave me through. -- scary huh ?)

I also have a Ruger LCP that I carry in a Desantis Nemisis for days when the G27 isn't practical.

*** Additional note -- I have a thing called a "Safepacker" it looks nothing ike a holster but is designed to carry your weapon and a spare mag. also has a spot for your ID/CCW. It can be worn on the belt like a holster...or like a fanny pack or even around your neck and shoulder like a messenger bag...it looks like a pda/cd player/gadget case. I tuck a pair of earbuds into the ID pocket so it looks like its my ipod case.

Hope it helps.

wedoada
    Last edited by wedoada; March 8th, 2009 at 03:16 AM.

(Northampton County)

I am in total agreement with those who say to keep the sidearm on your person. If attacked you could be knocked off the chair. A shoulder rig would work but what about warm weather??

With the crossdraw I would recommend wearing a wife beater shirt to seperate your skin from the gun & a short sleeve button down shirt over the gun. Shirts with patterns break up any bulges better.

In warm weather you can wear cargo shorts & keep a smaller gun in a side pocket in a pocket holster.

I know a wheel chair bound person who was robbed in downtown Easton. We have some real garbage walking our streets.