Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Audio vs Visual ques for training

Knowing when to, and being physically able to deploy the pistol is the missing link in the defensive use of the pistol. The main reason behind this is that far too many instructors and institutions are locked into believing that the best training to teach a shooter to use their pistol is found on the live fire range.

The truth is that once a student has become comfortable with the operation their pistol and marksmanship fundamentals much training can be done without firing a live round.

During our ongoing research we have been able to narrow down the failure of typical live fire range training when it comes to preparing for real life encounters into two very basic things-

Audible cues vs Visual cues- much of the training that takes place on the range has the shooter draw and fire his firearm in response to a buzzer or whistle. This has several implications. First in the real world we are often first alerted to danger by sound, but no sound exists that would justify us to fire a weapon. Another problem is that in the case of more than one person confronting a specific threat there is a phenomenon known as contagious fire. Contagious fire results when individuals fire on a target in reaction to someone else firing first, even if they do not perceive a threat. Because of these reasons MCS only uses visual ques to provoke shooter to draw and fire. Just as furtive movement is usually what draws fire on the street. Because noise is capable of being heard all around there is no lapse in perception. The interpretation of verbal ques is based on perception and angle so several people viewing the same exact thing may react at different times. They are forced to think independently.

The second part drawing from the first is that during 2D range training most of the time is spent shooting at a stationary target or maybe one running sideways. The shooter is spared the stress of drawing his pistol as someone closes in on him. The natural response when someone is rushing at you is to get your hands up to defend yourself. Even during a situation where an attacker is armed with an edged or impact weapon is can be hard to overcome this tendency. This is the minds way of telling us that we need to first deal with the threat in our face before drawing our firearm. For this reason shooters need open hand combatives to help them deal with these threats allowing them to create time and distance.
    Last edited by mercop; December 26th, 2009 at 07:34 PM.

(York County)

Default Re: Audio vs Visual ques for training

It was interesting to watch during our class in Miami, we had several shooters who had been to some big name schools that except for force on force use audible ques. We do not begin any strings of fire with a buzzer or whistle. Instead we use visual ques, one of them is tossing tennis balls down range as que to draw. Unlike using a buzzer or whistle it is amazing to see the difference between shooters perception and speed, unlike with audio ques where everyone draws at one time. Give it a try some time.- George

You make some interesting statements, all of which I whole heartedly agree with.

(Adams County)

I will probably try the tennisball trick at one of the ACSHA Action Shoots.
    Adams County Sport Handgunners Association - President

(York County)

Was thinking about this today so I am bumping it.

(Allegheny County)

Ques? Do you mean "cues"? A queue is a line as forms at a theater.

(Allegheny County)

About ten years ago, some guys running a "famous" shooting school were renting my club's one range for a class. I was there and stopped by to observe for a few minutes which irritated the heck out of the instructor but, hey, it's my club.

The session was on cues to draw and fire. The student was standing with his back towards the target. The instructor would yell, "Hey, you!" which was the student's cue to draw and fire.

I could just see this out on the street. You drop some papers and someone picks them up and yells, "Hey, You. . ." and gets drilled for his trouble.

(Chester County)

Please Note: The poster was issued a warning for this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiley-X View Post
    Ques? Do you mean "cues"? A queue is a line as forms at a theater.
    You would think an instructor claiming to know more about this than the rest of the training industry, would know how to spell what he claims to know so much about.

But it's probably just an amateur assumption to think that self proclaimed experts on the subject know how to spell what they teach.

(York County)

You guys got me. Synergy, what do you do for a living? Let me know, I want to read some articles and tell you about your job
    Last edited by mercop; December 26th, 2009 at 07:35 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    You guys got me. Synergy, what do you do for a living? Let me know, I want to read some articles and tell you about your job
    I'm not Synergy but I know how to spell all of the words associated with my old career, my current job and all of my hobbies. Go ahead, test me. Give me a word and I'll spell it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast