Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default HOW BIG ARE THE DEER

How big are the deer in pennsylvania , I grew up in maine and down here in florida they look like dogs with antlers . I am used to 200 - 300 lb deer . where the best outfit to go hunting with up there !

(York County)

Default Re: HOW BIG ARE THE DEER

If you see a 200+ pounder then he is the beast of the woods, I'd expect a 2 1/2 year old or older buck to be 150-180. I've only seen one 200 Lb buck that my pops had killed and he's hunted PA all his life. Now they might grow bigger around the mountains, but I've personally never seen one.

A doe should be between 90-130 Lbs, age/nutrition dependent obviously, and my average 1 1/2 year old buck is around 110-140 Lbs.
    "Skin that'n pilgrim, and I'll git ya another"

Killed a four point , after we cleaned him out at the way station he was 210 deer taken in gray me.04039 zip. off ramsdel rd. ish area

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by AIRBORNE View Post
    Killed a four point , after we cleaned him out at the way station he was 210 deer taken in gray me.04039 zip. off ramsdel rd. ish area
    That would be an illegal kill in PA, minimum of 3 points on one side in my area, a lot of the state is a 4 point on one side min

Average deer in PA is less then 2 1/2 years old, its rare to find anything over 3. Last I heard we are the second highest number of deer harvest in the country (behind Texas) and number 1 in vehicle accidents involving deer.

We have a LOT of deer born every year but a HUGE number are harvested as well. If you see a legal buck in most of the state and you pass it up you will probably be eating tag soup.

btw - I hunt up in the Rangely Maine area every year with some family... there's no fucking deer in Maine! Just LOTS of moose
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.