Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: AR or Mini 14

(Cambria County)

Default AR or Mini 14

Newbie here with more dumb questions to thrill your lives with.

Is there really that big of a difference in these two rifles. I know the Mini squeezed thru the last AWB. So, with what is going on again. This may end up being our choice again.

What makes the AR such a better rifle? Keep it simple. I don't understand all the minor details that you hardcore guys get into. I'm just looking for a weapon for "Just in Case" and to plink with. It isn''t going to see a ton of shooting. I just want a rifle around a the house for WTSHTF

I know there are lots more accessories for the AR, but how does reliability compare.

If I go with the KISS complex. Wouldn't a Mini 14 be a decent choice for a plinker, that can be counted on as a Defensive Weapon if the sh*t should hit the fan. I know the Magazines are hard to find. Why is that, when they are everywhere for the AR? Someone told me you could use AR magazines in a Mini 14. Any truth to this?
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Fulton County)

Default Re: AR or Mini 14

I have a mini 14 and 2 ARs

the mini has a thin barrel so it heats up really fast and the barrel is not chromed lined. The mini barrel is chambered for the Remington .223 bullet so you can not shoot 5.56 ammo out of a mini

With a AR you get the option of a chromed lined barrel a heavier barrel with optional twist rates. and most Ar barrels are chambered for the 5.56 round there is also a huge number of aftermarket products

but the mini cost alot less

(Bucks County)

In terms of accuracy, i would choose an AR. Now, i'm not an AR nut, although i do own one, for arguments sake, but the accuracy that one can achieve out of an AR is fantastic. Sub MOA at 100 yards is common. With the Mini-14, to my understanding, it's closer to sub Dinner plate at 100 yards. That's just from what i've heard and read, please do not quote me on that. Also, there is much more of an aftermarket following for the AR. Just my .02 though..

Mike

(Centre County)

I have a mini-14 and it shoots fine, may not have sub moa groups at 100 yards but it is still fun to plink with. Remember the mini-14's indended use is a ranch rifle, so it is not ment to shoot a ton of rounds out of it quickly. The barrel does heat up very fast. I usually don't shoot more than 5 rounds out of it before giving it a little time to cool. I'm sure you could unload a 30 round magazine if you wanted to but it would probably be better to get an AR-15 thats more suited for that type of shooting.

As for modifying the mini-14 there are a few parts but not nearly as much as for the AR's. I just have a muzzle break on mine and I really don't see myself changing anything else. I will proably just save my money and get an AR-15.

Overall it's a fun gun but I still want an AR.

(Lawrence County)

This question tend to creep up when cash is short, but the AR really isn't that much more expensive.

Take stripped Stag lower ($99 shipped)

Add kit. 16" kits run $460. Complete AR for $559. Pretty close to a lot of Mini-14's

http://jtdistributing.com/store/car_kits.html
    http://www.model1sales.com/

The Mini generally doesn't shoot as tight, have as many options and will retain more value should a ban ensue. The old assault weapons ban didn't effect any AR's you bought before the ban......just those manufactured after. So...no time like the present if that is a concern of yours.

(Westmoreland County)

Mini's are less accurate, less costly and less duarble than good quality AR15's.

I would not want to rely on one if the SHTF.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    Mini's are less accurate, less costly and less duarble than good quality AR15's.

Are you crazy?.... Oh wait, I agree with you (just habit I guess).

No comparison. AR all the way!

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post

Agreed, but i still would not mind a Mini-14 or Mini-30 just for the fun factor. I'm not a AR fan i'd rather have my trusty M1 but hey thats me

Between the two, AR all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jean-Luc Picard
    Oh yes, thats how it starts. The road from legitimate suspicion to rampant paranoia is very much shorter than we think.

(Delaware County)

I've owned both and my pick is also the AR type weapon. It has a ton of options and mags are plentifull. The mini is a great gun also but if you remember the A-Team had Mini-14"s and they never hit anything
    In their hearts humans plan their course, but the LORD establishes their steps.

(Cambria County)

http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/10-22/mmt-0018.asp

Just to get off this a bit. Has anyone ever used or seen one of these. I was thinking about getting one for my Mini-14.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast