Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Youth minister sentenced in teen's accidental shooting

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08351/935429-55.stm

SIZE="4"]Youth minister sentenced in teen's accidental shooting[/SIZE]

After providing the gun that accidentally killed a young member of his flock, a Duquesne youth minister said he has spent the last year in anguish.

At his sentencing hearing for involuntary manslaughter yesterday, Keith A. Owens, 23, asked forgiveness from the family of Chelsea McAllister, the 15-year-old who was killed when Mr. Owens' sawed-off shotgun went off in the hands of another teen.

"I loved Chelsea," Mr. Owens told Common Pleas Judge Jeffrey A. Manning before sentencing. "And [her death] has caused me so much pain."

Mr. Owens was sentenced to two years of intermediate punishment, 18 months of which will be restrictive house arrest with work release. He will receive credit for the last year, which he has spent under house arrest.

Mr. Owens said he also has spent the year struggling with the events of Nov. 20, 2007, when he brought a group of teens to his house in Duquesne after an event at a Hill District church.

He brought the unloaded shotgun down from his bedroom to show the group, and 14-year-old David Hamm took a special interest, handling the gun and pulling the trigger several times.

When everyone was getting ready to leave, Mr. Owens put one round in the gun and stashed it out of view as the group gathered on the porch. But David remained inside and as Chelsea walked in to retrieve her purse, the gun went off and she was shot in the face.

The Allegheny County medical examiner's office ruled her death was a homicide.

In September, Mr. Owens pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter, four counts of endangering the welfare of children, and a weapons violation for having a sawed-off barrel and stock on his 16-gauge shotgun.

"I take full responsibility for all my actions," Mr. Owens said. "There's nothing I can say. Just I'm sorry. I'm deeply sorry."

Deputy District Attorney Laura Ditka said during the hearing that David has been adjudicated delinquent in Allegheny County juvenile court on a weapons charge and was placed on probation.

Mr. Owens also was sentenced to three years of probation and ordered not to possess a firearm while under court supervision.

(Washington County)

Default Re: Youth minister sentenced in teen's accidental shooting

It doesn't say how short the "sawed off" barrel was, but if it's under 18", he should be charged with violation of the NFA for an unregistered short barreled shotgun.

Vince
    www.bloomautomatic.com - Golf Ball Launchers for AR-15, SKS, FAL, and many others

www.bloomautomatic.com/lbsc - Long Branch Sportsman's Club, Long Branch, PA

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by bloomautomatic View Post
    It doesn't say how short the "sawed off" barrel was, but if it's under 18", he should be charged with violation of the NFA for an unregistered short barreled shotgun.

Vince

Forget the NFA. The gun would been just as lethal irrespective of barrel length. The vaunted NFA hasn't done anything worthwhile in any event, except generate a revenue stream for the gov.org and drive up the price of collectible firearms.

He was charged with violation of the state regs, and charging him federally would be a waste of money.

Not sure why gun-owners are so eager to see others charged with NFA violations?

Outside of the circumstances of this particular case, ie the negligent homicide what does the barrel length have to do with anything?

Face it, the NFA is about the stupidest set of laws, only equaled by GCA of '68 and of course the Crime Bill in '94.

Did any of them do you any good?

Be careful wishing for people to be charged under bad laws that should not have been created in the first place. Gun laws are generally oppositional to a free people. Don't drink the kool-aid and believe that this homicide was somehow made worse by the type of firearm used.

What he should have been charged with is "Felony Stupid" for putting any firearm in the hands of teens without any instructive use or purpose.

Youth Minister, my ass. He was looking to impress these kids is all, and the clowning kid who didn't have the smarts or training to know not to point any weapon at a person is going to live a ruined life as well.

Stupidity kills.
    Last edited by Whiskey Delta; January 2nd, 2009 at 07:53 PM.
    He was one of God’s own prototypes—a high-powered mutant of some kind who was never even considered for mass production. He was too weird to live and too rare to die....

The 'Burg-Northern Berks County, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)

"Youth minister"

Code for wayward urban youth caught doing something wrong.................................

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskey Delta View Post
    He was charged with violation of the state regs, and charging him federally would be a waste of money.

Not sure why gun-owners are so eager to see others charged with NFA violations?
    Be careful wishing for people to be charged under bad laws that should not have been created in the first place. Gun laws are generally oppositional to a free people. Don't drink the kool-aid and believe that this homicide was somehow made worse by the type of firearm used.
    I'm not wishing that he's charged with anything more than he's guilty of. I'm just surprised that there weren't federal charges put upon him for that.

Vince
    www.bloomautomatic.com - Golf Ball Launchers for AR-15, SKS, FAL, and many others

www.bloomautomatic.com/lbsc - Long Branch Sportsman's Club, Long Branch, PA

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by bloomautomatic View Post
    I'm not wishing that he's charged with anything more than he's guilty of. I'm just surprised that there weren't federal charges put upon him for that.

Vince
    Actually, it is fairly common.

As long as the state pushes their case, the Feds won't. Usually you don't find Federal involvement unless there is an interstate aspect or (Heaven Forbid) the only CRIME that was committed was the NFA violation.

Couple of otherwise decent, law abiding citizens have been put into the gulag for mere possession of the nasty unregistered NFA weapon.

Always remember that the deaths at Ruby Ridge and Waco were over unpaid Federal taxes...
    He was one of God’s own prototypes—a high-powered mutant of some kind who was never even considered for mass production. He was too weird to live and too rare to die....