Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: taper crimping

(Lehigh County)

Default taper crimping

can anyone give me some help on taper crimping for pistol bullets?
    i am just getting back into reloading and just wanted to know how you tell if you have too much or too little of a crimp or the right amount . i am loading 45 acp right now.
    thanks

Default Re: taper crimping

Quote Originally Posted by dairdvl View Post
    can anyone give me some help on taper crimping for pistol bullets?
    i am just getting back into reloading and just wanted to know how you tell if you have too much or too little of a crimp or the right amount . i am loading 45 acp right now.
    thanks
    Put a shell in the shell holder and raise the press ram all the way up. Screw the die in until it just hits the shell. Lower the press ram and turn the die another 1/8 turn clockwise and tighten. That will get you very close. If you desire more crimp go another 1/8 turn on the die.

(Chester County)

Default Re: taper crimping

When taper crimping for 45acp I adjust my crimp die to only remove the belling from the expanding die. For example if the measurement of the brass where the bullet is seated is .472, I will aim for between .472 and .471 at the crimp but this is more of a visual thing than a measured one. Signs of an excessive crimp are bulged cases, heavy mark left on the brass by the crimper, brass shavings and a crimp which is pushed into the bullet. Roll crimping is a different story all together.

With auto brass the neck tension holds the bullet not the taper crimp. Excessive taper crimp or post sizing with a FCD can actually ruin the neck tension and cause loose bullets. With a completed round you should be able to push it by hand into the front of a sturdy reloading bench without pushing the bullet in further.

Hope this helps.