Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Problems with paddle holsters?

I have always carried OWB with a belt loop holster, but there have been times that I wished I could take the gun and holster off easily, like with a paddle holster. My question is this: what is the drawback to a paddle holster? Is it possible that you could draw the pistol and the holster at the same time?

Also, what is a good paddle holster for a full size auto?

Feedback is appreciated.
    VEGETARIAN: Native American word meaning "bad hunter"

(Tioga County)

Default Re: Problems with paddle holsters?

The thing with a paddle holster is to get it to stay when you want it to stay and yet be easily removed when you want to remove it. Every passle holster I have seen stays put. some can be a bummer to take off. Basicly there is more friction holding it on than the pistol has to the holster. I like Blade-Teck but you may not like plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by BearTitan View Post
    I have always carried OWB with a belt loop holster, but there have been times that I wished I could take the gun and holster off easily, like with a paddle holster. My question is this: what is the drawback to a paddle holster? Is it possible that you could draw the pistol and the holster at the same time?

Also, what is a good paddle holster for a full size auto?
    I prefer paddle holsters for the same reason. There is no particular drawback that I have noticed. The paddles have a small lip that hooks the belt, so the holster stays in place when the pistol is drawn.

Paddle holsters I have are: Galco matrix and Fobus.

www.usgalco.com

www.fobusholster.com

(York County)

Thumbs down Re: Problems with paddle holsters?

After trying two different types of paddle holsters, and during training sessions reaching for the pistol and presenting both the paddle and the pistol still welded together by the time both hands were extended in front of me, they're relegated to the "old holster drawer" at the house.

Trainer's comment still sticks with me: "alot of people have paddle holsters. 99.927% of them now reside in a drawer."

Galco or Mitch Rosen make a holster that has snaps that go over the belt; you don't have to remove the belt to remove the holster. If you're right handed and draw right handed, it's only a few seconds of unbuckling the belt and sliding it out of one loop to remove the holster anyway.

IMHO, paddles aren't worth the hassle.

(Westmoreland County)

I do have a Fobus for a glock 30 it is a good holster never comes off any time i draw. Kinda hard to take off sometimes but for the most part it is a good holster for the money. I think i paid $22 for it and have had it for close to a year now and have had no problems with it.

(Montgomery County)

I would love to find a holster that I could wear with out a belt. Most skirts today do not have belts. Or if they do the belt is too thin to hold a gun.

(Philadelphia County)

The disadvantages are that a poorly fitted one can be drawn with the gun. They are weaker than other holster designs, most plastic ones are easily ripped off the hip. I carry IWB with snap straps and it's just as easy to get off.

(Perry County)

I have a Fobus for my 2" Taurus .38spl and I really like it. It conceals well and stays right where it should when I draw. It has a "lip" on the outside of the paddle that grabs onto the beltline seam on the inside of your pants. Mine has never come loose.

Now, my one complaint would be the sturdiness. The holster is attached to the paddle only by 3 rivets. It would not take much to snap it right off if you caught it on something.

Other than that, I do like mine.

Dave G.
    Dave G.

"Gun control has not worked in D.C. The only people who have guns are criminals. We have the strictest gun laws in the nation and one of the highest murder rates. It's quicker to pull your Smith & Wesson than to dial 911 if you're being robbed."

-Lieutenant Lowell Duckett, Special Assistant to DC Police Chief; President, Black Police Caucus, The Washington Post, March 22, 1996

FN Herstal FNP-9M 9mm compact
    Taurus model 85 .38 special

(Westmoreland County)

On EmptyMag's recommendation, I ordered a Blackhawk paddle. Cool thing is that their holsters come with the belt loop and paddle attachment. If I don't like the paddle, I can always use the belt loop and vice versa.

I picked up the gun last night and the holster should deliver today. I'll be trying both out at the range tonight.

Thank you for your thoughts.
    VEGETARIAN: Native American word meaning "bad hunter"

(Allegheny County)

Hey now, I didn't technically recommend it. I simply gave the info I learned in my search for an OWB, affordable, "plastic" holster.
    It seems to fit most of the requirements I was looking for. (and some added features too!)

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/question-...-holsters.html
    Look near the end of the thread for pics of the holster I chose. (SERPA Level II Retention holster)

So far, (I've only worn it 3 times) my only gripe is that the paddle doesn't remove easily. I wanted something I could easily slip on and off. Oh well, you can't have everything!

I did discover that I NEED to wear a belt simply due to the weight of the Glock. It has nothing to do with keeping the holster from pulling off my hip.

So far, I 'm happy with my selection and having purchased my first OWB holster, I may start carrying that way more often. I will try it with the belt attachment as well, but it seems pretty solid/secure with the paddle.

I will certainly post an update letting you all know what I think after using it for a while.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast