Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Funny: Guess they didn't get all of the guns in the UK

I guess the English have a few homegrown rednecks ...

From the Telegraph UK: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ntry-park.html

Villagers shoot down advertising balloon over country park

Villagers shot down an advertising balloon flying over their community saying it blighted the landscape.

Last Updated: 11:56PM GMT 18 Dec 2008

Those living in the affluent area have been angered after the Big Box Self Storage company launched an advertising blimp over a picturesque country park.

The garish white, blue and green inflatable, which can be seen from a mile away, was shot down three times by angry locals but the company had it patched up and put it back in the air.

Big Box, which runs a countryside warehouse in picture-postcard Ditchling Common, West Sussex, does not need planning permission for the blimp, just agreement from the Civil Aviation Authority.

Martin Harris, 43, a City trader who lives with his family in a secluded £750,000 cottage overlooking the country park, said: “We moved to the middle of the countryside because we wanted beautiful countryside views, but that blimp is real a stain on the horizon.

“This is a picturesque area, and looking over the country park is a delight all year round - but when that balloon is up, your eye is automatically drawn to it and it really spoils the scene.

“I recently removed one of our hedges so we would have a better view over the horse fields from our back garden, but now that blimp is constantly front and centre.

“It’s very frustrating that we don’t have any say over whether it can remain there. I know some local people have taken pot-shots at it, and they’ve had to patch it up a few times.

“Maybe they should get the message and just throw it in the bin.”

The blimp, which is 30ft long and has a 10ft diameter and costs around £2,500 to buy, has been shot down three times according to locals.

It first went up at the end of August and has been shot down by a mystery sniper three times since, once in October and twice in November.

It is not known what type of gun has been used to shoot it down.

Howard Kemp, 52, a business owner who can see the blimp from his office window, added: “If I wanted to put up an aerial on my roof, I’d need permission from the council and people would have a chance to object - but they can fly that gigantic thing at 600 metres and no one says a word.

“It’s a disgrace that they can create a revolting blot on the landscape like that, but if someone round here planted a conifer in their front garden, the council would be all over them.

“The planning regulations are tight round here because we live in a country park. Every little thing needs permission. But blimps? Apparently they’re fine.”

Under planning regulations an advertising blimp can be flown at nearly 2,000ft (600m) ten times in a calendar year.

But Big Box Self Storage - a national firm - was granted a six-month licence to fly the blimp over Ditchling Common by the Civil Aviation Authority, overriding the need for local authority consent.

Big Box branch manager Mike Rayner said: “The blimp was intended to boost our business. After all, the economy is not exactly flying high.

“We only fly it in good weather, and we did not set out to upset local residents.”
    Bold Mine

Default Re: Funny: Guess they didn't get all of the guns in the UK

I'm pretty sure they're still allowed single shot rifles and shotguns so they could take that balloon out easily, interesting story though

My understanding was that shotguns & single shot rifles were restricted to club members, and possession was confined to the club premises. But I don't know for sure. A pellet gun would do the job in this case, though.

(Beaver County)

You've got a pellet gun that still has punch at 600 meters? Sweet!
    Kevin Singleton, Potawatomi - {ZRT - Sector 4}

(Blair County)

i think i would send it into orbit instead of putting holes in it
    I just flew the Millennium Falcon through the hole in your logic 2A6X1