Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default $200 for a 1945 Mosin-Nagant M44?

My fiancee bought me a Mosin-Nagant M44 for Christmas. She paid $200 for it and I kinda think she might have gotten taken. But it is a 1945 vintage, so I'm wondering if the condition and age of the gun warrant that kind of price.

The receiver is marked like this:

Circle Y next to a Hammer & Sickle seal
    1945r
    KC3046 (or KO3046 or KC3C46 the stamping is a little light on one side)
    Triangle with Arrow inside

On the side of the receiver there is very, VERY small lettering that says NA CO RIDGEFIELD NJ. From what we have gathered Navy Arms in Ridgefield, NJ was the importer.

The bolt has a different serial number, as does the magazine floor plate. The metal piece on the butt has a serial number that matches the receiver (KC3046).

The bore looks clean and the rifling is still plainly visible. The crown is smooth and has no nicks. The bolt slides easily and it feels like it locks up tight (no wiggle). The trigger isn't gritty, but there is a bit of take up, thats about all my current knowledge about triggers goes.

The bayonet and cleaning rod both work easily, but the release on the magazine floor plate doesn't instill confidence. It is loose and the floorplate, while unloaded, wiggles.

The stock is uniform in color, but there is no doubt this is a well used gun. It looks ... dirty. Not pig pen dirty, more like decades of sweat, oil and grease got "ground in" over the years. There are nicks, dents and scratches. Most would come out with minor sanding. The varnish/shellac/whatever is still there although there are a couple spots where it has come/worn off.

Our little camera won't take macro shots, so I'm going to have to wait till my fiancee gets home to get some decent pics with the big camera.

I have shot it, 40 rounds of Brown Bear, but I couldn't hit anything. I tried a standard sight-in target at 100yds and didn't put one hole in the paper. I tried a 9 inch paper plate at 50yds and still no holes. The 25yd benches were taken so I didn't get a chance to try that close, but I will in the next few days. Overall its a nice gun, I just don't know if I would have shelled out $200 for it.

So what do y'all think? is $200 way too much? A bit too much? or not a bad deal?

Also, any insight you can glean from the markings is appreciated too.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

(York County)

Default Re: $200 for a 1945 Mosin-Nagant M44?

Congrats on the rifle, although I'd say $200 is a bit high. 1945 isn't particularly rare, in fact they were made up until 1948. 1943 is a rare year to find.

The circled "y" is a final black powder proofing stamp, the other is the Soviet crest. The triangle w/ arrow inside means it was made at Izhevsk.

This site is a great place to find info: http://7.62x54r.net/

(Somerset County)

If you like it then its worth it!

(Lancaster County)

most m44s i have shot with cheaper/surplus ammo where not to accuret. try running some 150gr hunting ammo, i shot 1.5 in groups @50yds with privi 150gr sp and its not to price to shot a box every week or so
    V-DUB Shop!DUBNINJA 82

(Lancaster County)

You asked so I'm not going to sugar coat it.
    Yes she was taken.
    $200 even after tax and backround if from a dealer was very high.
    I know the M44's run higher then the M91/30's but thats steep man for the condition that you describe it as being.
    I just hope for your sake that the bore gages well enough to make it a fine shooter.

FWIW the bore should not accept a gage pin larger then .303 for it to be a decent shooter.
    Please feel free to visit a forum that I moderate:
    http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php

(Beaver County)

$200 is on the high end, and '45 is a pretty common year, but, M-44 availability seems to be drying up at the wholesaler level, which in turn will trickle down to the reailers sooner or later, and if you like the gun you'll be happy to have it. As to inherint accuracy of this model, some will shoot very well. You might have to shoot a variety of 7.62x54r till you find the weight and maker your gun prefers. Parts are available, too, so you can replace that magazine floorplate and/or spring to tighten things up and instill a little confidence in your gun. Kiss your fiance and be happy.

(Lancaster County)

As far as the price, I think you'll look back a year from now and $200. won't seem like a bad deal. The Mosin supply has really dried up over the last six months. Remember the cheap Swiss K31's? Three years ago you could buy them anywhere for $99. Now they change hands for $200. or $250.

Quote Originally Posted by WVneighbor View Post
    My fiancee bought me a Mosin-Nagant M44 for Christmas. She paid $200 for it and I kinda think she might have gotten taken. ...
    Does it have importer marking on it anywhere? If not, it might be a real gem.

Assuming there was no sales tax, she paid about $50 too much. Here's a source selling them for $100, but that doesn't include shipping.
    http://www.jgsales.com/product_info....roducts_id/502

Unfortunately, these $100 Mosin M44 rifles are refinished to about new making them more attractive. M44 carbines are common, and 1945 is a common year for M44 carbines. I paid $70 for my M44 with a laminated stock, and it had been refinished even though it appears to be unfired.

Two upshots here:

• The cost difference isn't too great, but the deteriorated condition at twice the price certainly suggests the seller know it was overpriced.
    • The fact that your wife-to-be bought this preemptively for you is worth far more than what this gun cost, and for this reason I'd hesitate to anything but show joy and adoration that she bought it for you.
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

After the Importers quit buying them, $200 seems about right.

It will only increase, unless the importers give in to the suppliers.

(Luzerne County)

Here was one in our classifieds for 145.

http://forum.pafoa.org/firearms-6/42...tula-made.html

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast