Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: 700 yard Romanian G Kit homebuild shooting....

I took this post with a grain of salt. I was not going to respond. But, I started to think about it. What if a shooter claimed to do this with a 7.62X51R? Most people would say no can do. Take a 7.62X51R and load it with a good spire point of 150 -168 grs or so and I very much doubt it could be done with any success. Especially with open sights. Also consider that the 7.62X51R has far better ballistics then any 7.62X39 around.
    In short, I am a doubting Thomas from Missiouri, show me. I don't think it happened.
    BTW I also think you can probably smash a skull using a Marlin or a Winchester butt stock. Nothing special about an AK for that "job".
    Everyone; Have a very happy, healthy, prosperous New Year. I think we are going to be in for some hard times ahead.

Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    NRA 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Colt Collectors Association
    Browning Collectors Association
    Sharps Arms Collectors Association
    SASS Association

SANS PEUR et SANS REPROACHE

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pukindog View Post
    I took this post with a grain of salt. I was not going to respond. But, I started to think about it. What if a shooter claimed to do this with a 7.62X51R? Most people would say no can do. Take a 7.62X51R and load it with a good spire point of 150 -168 grs or so and I very much doubt it could be done with any success. Especially with open sights. Also consider that the 7.62X51R has far better ballistics then any 7.62X39 around.

In short, I am a doubting Thomas from Missiouri, show me. I don't think it happened.

BTW I also think you can probably smash a skull using a Marlin or a Winchester butt stock. Nothing special about an AK for that "job".
    Everyone; Have a very happy, healthy, prosperous New Year. I think we are going to be in for some hard times ahead.

Jeff
    I wasn't going to post in this thread either because I'm also skeptical.

However, I won't go as far as to say it "didn't" happen or "couldn't" happen. Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in awhile. I find it curious that as of yesterday, the OP in the link has not yet posted pics of the target(s).

While I do think it's entirely "possible", 600 to 700 yards is the distance where wind becomes a huge factor. With a precision rifle and high quality optic, "dialing in" windage to compensate for wind to the tune of a few "quarter minute" clicks (or using mil-dots) can make the difference between a hit and a miss.

Yes people do compete with iron sighted rifles at camp perry at these kinds of distances but they are using the latest and greatest match ammo, highly accurized rifles and good aperture sights. The crude sights of the AK family do not lend themselves to precision adjustment.

I acknowledge that the shooter "could have" accomplished what he stated. The appleseed project is doing good things and in this instance, "everything came together" and he got the hit(s).

What I'm suggesting is that this is a sample of one, in a particular instance, under certain conditions, and that it should not be used to affirm and validate that an AK is "capable" of this kind of performance on a consistent basis. If you use this example to give yourself a "warm and fuzzy" about the AK's capabilities "at distance" you are fooling yourself.

(Lawrence County)

With a bullet drop of around 16 feet and admitted tumbling.......he needs to buy a lottery ticket.

LycanallI'msayinthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    I wasn't going to post in this thread either because I'm also skeptical.

However, I won't go as far as to say it "didn't" happen or "couldn't" happen. Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in awhile. I find it curious that as of yesterday, the OP in the link has not yet posted pics of the target(s).

While I do think it's entirely "possible", 600 to 700 yards is the distance where wind becomes a huge factor. With a precision rifle and high quality optic, "dialing in" windage to compensate for wind to the tune of a few "quarter minute" clicks (or using mil-dots) can make the difference between a hit and a miss.

Yes people do compete with iron sighted rifles at camp perry at these kinds of distances but they are using the latest and greatest match ammo, highly accurized rifles and good aperture sights. The crude sights of the AK family do not lend themselves to precision adjustment.

I acknowledge that the shooter "could have" accomplished what he stated. The appleseed project is doing good things and in this instance, "everything came together" and he got the hit(s).

What I'm suggesting is that this is a sample of one, in a particular instance, under certain conditions, and that it should not be used to affirm and validate that an AK is "capable" of this kind of performance on a consistent basis. If you use this example to give yourself a "warm and fuzzy" about the AK's capabilities "at distance" you are fooling yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    With a bullet drop of around 16 feet and admitted tumbling.......he needs to buy a lottery ticket.

LycanallI'msayinthrope

Yup x2

Pa.whymyprimaryisarifle&notacarbinePatriot

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    my AR has a built in meat tenderizor
    When I was going to start building an AR. That is the stock I wanted. And just for that reason. It could be used if needed, and not just to rest against your shoulder. That is a nice stock.

Personally, I think this story is a bit farfetched. But then, I have never really tried shooting long range with any of mine.

Off hand with a red dot sight, I could hit stuff out at 100 yards just about every shot. Off hand (yep, standing and shooting with no support.) I could hit stuf or hit right next to it out to 200 yards. Not sure what the heck I was hitting. But it was out there for us to shoot at. And I was hitting the darn thing. And my buddy who was with me when I did this, was impressed enough that he headed back home in N.C. and has started looking for an AK to buy.

Yeah, this "story" does seem extreme. But you never know.

My buddy killed a deer with a 357 magnum pistol at about 125 yards. (They all stepped it off after it the deer fell. PURE LUCK. Sure was. But it was witnessed by 3 other people or I would have never belived it either. Yes, he said he aimed high. Real high.)

Maybe today was this guys "day to shoot" the best he has ever shot in his life. You just never know.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Cambria County)

Remember, the Marines takes people that have never held a rifle in their lives (yes we had city boys that had never fired a gun in their lives in boot camp). And has them hitting a target repeatedly at 500m before they can leave boot camp.

Now that I find impressive.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbkski View Post
    Best part about an AK over an AR. If you run out of ammo. The AK is still a decent weapon. Would love to see em swinging the AR around like a club in a hand to hand situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    my AR has a built in meat tenderizor
    Note: I'm not sure if Shawn is referring to the buttstock or if he has one of those medieval muzzle devices.

When I was going to start building an AR. That is the stock I wanted. And just for that reason. It could be used if needed, and not just to rest against your shoulder. That is a nice stock.
    I don't care what kind of buttstock you attach to your AR15, it is the wrong end to use if you run out of ammo.

Maybe today was this guys "day to shoot" the best he has ever shot in his life. You just never know.
    This is the most likely explanation.

(Westmoreland County)

Remember, the Marines takes people that have never held a rifle in their lives (yes we had city boys that had never fired a gun in their lives in boot camp). And has them hitting a target repeatedly at 500m before they can leave boot camp.
    The M16 is an honest 2 moa rifle with very good aperture sights and 500m is just under the distance where wind becomes a significant factor.

(Bucks County)

I shot my crappy ugly mismatched crude WASR with dirty inconsistent made by children Hotshot ammo at 200yrsd on a steel target with good results last week.

With all the bad press I heard about the AK with the Right ammo, I figured that this being my 1st time shooting at this distance with a shit carbine and piss poor ammo I would be lucky to hit the target once.

I hit the target on my 1st shot, 3rd shot, 4th, and 6th, out of 10 rounds allowed I hit 4 timeson a 12x18" target. Im not sure if Im more impressed with my ability to sight in a rifle or with how well this thing shotas I did a lot better than I expected.

Im thinking these get a lot of bad press and will shoot OK given proper respect. As to the OP's claims, I dunno. You can check my score in the range reports under LRGC RWB shoot under the name of Eric.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    Note: I'm not sure if Shawn is referring to the buttstock or if he has one of those medieval muzzle devices.
    yep. buttstock.
    the bottom of the L (pointed at the ground when shouldered) has what i like to call a meat tenderizor. I think they bill it in its official discription as a door breeching some shit or another. I say it jokingly.

Its a solid stock, and is comfortable for me, the wifey, and the lil'buck to all use.

all I need is a tactical spatula.............

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast