Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lehigh County)

Default Need help with Aimpoint ML3

I mounted an Aimpoint ML3 on my flattop AR. The instructions indicate that the sight is delivered in a centered position and only small adjustments are necessary. I took it out today and couldn't hit paper from 50 yards.

Can anybody give me some suggestions.

Default Re: Need help with Aimpoint ML3

When I sight a gun in I always start from 25 yards or closer to see where its hittin' then adjust and move out from there. How big was this paper you were shooting at? Maybe try some paper grocery bags or something bigger than standard rifle targets and like I said, move in closer to start. Hope that helps

(Lehigh County)

PSP7304,

I sent you a PM, contact me at your convenience.

Quote Originally Posted by PSP7304 View Post
    I mounted an Aimpoint ML3 on my flattop AR. The instructions indicate that the sight is delivered in a centered position and only small adjustments are necessary. I took it out today and couldn't hit paper from 50 yards.

Can anybody give me some suggestions.
    I have the ML3 on a Glock 17 and Colt Gold Cup .45. I've read the hype about "few adjustments" but that hasn't been my experience. But the adjustments weren't all that bad.

I started out sighting in at 7 yards. Trying a longer distance at first seems to lead to considerable frustration when you can't get on paper right away. I think someone else has mentioned something like this and I definitely concur.

For rifles with telescopic sights I always start out about 12.5 yards and try to get impact about .5 low, then move on to 100 yards looking for something around +3 inches. Final sighting on my range is at 200 yards where I'm looking for impact higher than zero but it varies on cartridge/caliber.

For bolt guns I naturally also bore sight or use bore sight accessory with others. If you don't have a bore sight kit for your M16 most gunsmiths do and will "bore sight" it for you for a nominal fee. That by itself might solve your problem but I'd still prefer to start out at a shorter distance then move back.

Jerry

(York County)

Its probably defective, don't bother sending it back, they won't want to fix it for less than 500 dollers. Send it to me and I'll wire you 20 bucks.

JK, Can you co-witness with your iron sites? If you can, bench the rifle securely and get it close that way. Or like others mentioned, use bigger targets and start closer.

Seriously though, I'll give you twenty bucks for it............
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

I put one on a flat top AR too, I bore sighted it at 100 yards by starting with an empty chamber, popping the take down pin out,removing the bolt assembly.Then by looking down the bore to the bright red center of the target, followed by carefully looking up though the sight with as little movement as possible. I then adjusted the sight then repeated the process. This got me on paper at 100yds.. I love that flat top picatinny rail. I have a 4x scope, the red dot and removable iron sights that all go right back to zero when I put them back on. Of course I have to slowly tighten the mounting knobs until its evenly tight, otherwise it did wander a little bit.

Handguns I do not have that much experience with mounting scopes on because my Ruger Superblackhawk hunter has integral scope mounts on the barrel

we do realize this thread is 1 1/2 years old though? I hope the OP has resolved the issue
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by bigandy1966 View Post
    we do realize this thread is 1 1/2 years old though? I hope the OP has resolved the issue
    Oh crap.....
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand