Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Thoughts On The Possible Ban Of 7.62x39 Ammo????

I have been doing some thinking about the possibilities of the variety of bans on both weapons and ammunition that in this climate appear to be coming. The more I think about it my thoughts keep straying to the possibilities of ammo bans being more significant in some ways than to the weapons that many already own.

I am in no way a "ballistics" guy and quite frankly I consider it a weakness that I need to spend some time to study at great lengths to really "get it".

That said I picked up 1700 rounds of 7.62x39 for my new VZ58 and I got to thinking of this round in particular. If you think about it it is a round that is really only used in the weapon that they hate the most therefore it seems to me to be a natural "soft' target. What I mean by soft is in todays "climate" it would be very easy to just slide in on page 12,423 of a bill.

The argument in their minds would be of course "what reasonable use is there for ammunition that was made for a Russian Assault rifle in a civil society".

Do I need to get a supply of tin foil or are some of my thoughts a very real possibility in others opinion.

Not a great writer so hopefully you still get the gist........

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Thoughts On The Possible Ban Of 7.62x39 Ammo????

Also used in the SKS, Ruger Mini-14, some AR's, and other guns.

I'd think .223 and 9mm would go first...

Definitely a possibility, though. Or perhaps special regulation ("ammunition accountability") for "assault bullets", but not on "regular" .30-06 and .22LR ammo used in the hunting community...
    Safety is a good tool for tyrants; no one can be against safety.

Μολὼν λαβέ

(Pike County)

Ya can never have to much ammo, stock up, you will shoot it eventually for one reason or another.

(Montgomery County)

Two things regarding ammo.

First, i'd be concerned about importation bans i.e., no more ammo coming from Russia--think WOLF. Domestic 7.62x39 is rather spendy. But if there is a market (obviously, there is) maybe the domestic manufacturers would start making steel cased ammo at a lower price---but, why would they need to if they had the market cornered.

Second, i'd be concerned that they will attempt to tax the crap out of ammo.

So, the best solution to this is to stack it deep. The saying used to be buy it cheap and stack it deep. However, the days of $79 per 1k rounds of 7.62x39 wolf are long gone.

(York County)

A ban towards importing ammo from certain countries isnt unrealistic, similar to what happened with the Chinese ammo, but I don't see any outright ban on us having the ammo. Domestic producers would pick up the slack if such a thing happened I would think.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Guns4Fun View Post
    Two things regarding ammo.

First, i'd be concerned about importation bans i.e., no more ammo coming from Russia--think WOLF. Domestic 7.62x39 is rather spendy. But if there is a market (obviously, there is) maybe the domestic manufacturers would start making steel cased ammo at a lower price---but, why would they need to if they had the market cornered.

Second, i'd be concerned that they will attempt to tax the crap out of ammo.

So, the best solution to this is to stack it deep. The saying used to be buy it cheap and stack it deep. However, the days of $79 per 1k rounds of 7.62x39 wolf are long gone.
    And there you have it in a nutshell.
    May as well just close this thread now.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steelblitz View Post
    A ban towards importing ammo from certain countries isnt unrealistic, similar to what happened with the Chinese ammo, but I don't see any outright ban on us having the ammo. Domestic producers would pick up the slack if such a thing happened I would think.
    As would I.

Obama & Bush only control imports, not domestic production. To completely wipe out any category, Congress & the President would need to act in concert banning -both- importation and domestic production. Plus, there's the question of reloads and legacy possession. IOW, ex post facto re: people already possessing said ammunition. It would be a problematic task to say the least.
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

What's expensive is not having it at all. You need to figure out what you think is "enough," factoring in what you would run around with on your person, if the fabric of decent society were suddenly torn asunder, what you could reasonably transport from point A to point B, how much you think prudent to have in a quiet, secluded, fixed location, and what, above that, if any, you'd sacrifice for occasional practice. Remember to leave room for rice, beans, extra gasoline, spare clothes, etc., in your calculations.

Really, this isn't black helicopter nutbag stuff any more, not when they seem intent on rendering 2A pointless through legislation and Executive Order. So, then, what do you think necessary, and for how many rifles, and in which calibers, are you willing to sock it away?

(Luzerne County)

as far as domestic production. Domestic producers havent been doing such a good job keeping up with demand. Stuff is guessing harder to find and more expensive. Gas was up, metal is up, production to the military is up. gas came down but i don't forsee ammo prices ever coming down. If you can't ban it, make it too expensive for the average person to afford and no ban is necessary.

for example
    try finding federal 215m primers. large rifle magnum match.
    The only easy day was yesterday
    Does anyone know the number for 9-1-1?

(Montgomery County)

They might try to ban different types of ammo. Heck they will try anything they think they can get away with. Think "death from a thousand cuts". They know they can't just out right ban guns right now so they look to make so many laws and patch work them all over to suck as much as they can out of owning guns.

And putting new laws in is cheaper than the cost and trouble we have to spend to fight them. With a stroke of a pen and no cost the ban is in effect and we have to spend money fighting to have the new law overturned. They fight with taxpayer money (read "our money") and we have to fight with our money. And our attention is divided all over the place. So yes of course they might try such a thing. There is no limit to the evil the gun-grabbers will sink to.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast