Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Scope Reccommendations

Gong to be getting a couple Remington 700's in .243 and .308 soon for deer season next year. Any reccommendations for scopes, less than $200 each, (not including mounts).

Haven't looked at or even bought one in probably 15 years.... I'm sure they've come a long way in that time.
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Scope Reccommendations

For lower priced scopes, I've used both Nikon and Mueller and have been very happy with both.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyo View Post
    For lower priced scopes, I've used both Nikon and Mueller and have been very happy with both.
    Nikon... lower price? We must be looking at different scopes.
    I just got a Bushnell 3-9x for christmas, $50.00. What is the yardage you are looking for?
    ““Liberty is the right to choose. Freedom is the result of the right choice.””

-Anonymous

Jeff

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by shooter357 View Post
    Nikon... lower price? We must be looking at different scopes.

Nikon's complete Pro Staff line is under $200.00 and I would highly recommend them. Very clear glass and the few I have hold up well to recoil. They also have a lifetime warranty!
    (Mine are Mounted on .50 inline and semi auto .308)
    Here is a link to Cabelas web site for more info.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...233&hasJS=true
    Last edited by Fragger; December 30th, 2008 at 11:12 AM.
    Please feel free to visit a forum that I moderate:
    http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php

(York County)

Why go with cheap scopes, why???? LOL. You got yourself some damn good firepower there, I would go with some good scopes, especially with the .308. If you must go cheaper, you can still get a leupold rifleman/ Vari X I for around $200 for the .308, also check out weaver, Weaver makes a pretty damn good scope for the price and are always overlooked. I think if you slap a wal-mart cheapo on them you'll be unhappy
    "Skin that'n pilgrim, and I'll git ya another"

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Arch007er View Post
    Why go with cheap scopes, why???? LOL. You got yourself some damn good firepower there, I would go with some good scopes, especially with the .308. If you must go cheaper, you can still get a leupold rifleman/ Vari X I for around $200 for the .308, also check out weaver, Weaver makes a pretty damn good scope for the price and are always overlooked. I think if you slap a wal-mart cheapo on them you'll be unhappy

FWIW I also have a 2-7 Leupold Rifleman. They are very nice indeed.
    Side by side MHO a slight edge is to the Nikon Pro Staff.
    I like a 1/4" click adj. on the Nikon vs the 1/2" on the Leupold.
    I also think the Nikon is a bit brighter.
    Price is about the same for both and it really is a tough call generally speaking.

The VX-I in is over the OP's $200 mark in a 3X9 but not by much so I won't comment on them.
    ($30 -$120 over)

Weaver scopes use to make fine optics in it's day. The V series was one of my favs. I don't know how they are today.
    Please feel free to visit a forum that I moderate:
    http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Fragger View Post
    FWIW I also have a 2-7 Leupold Rifleman. They are very nice indeed.
    Side by side MHO a slight edge is to the Nikon Pro Staff.
    I like a 1/4" click adj. on the Nikon vs the 1/2" on the Leupold.
    I also think the Nikon is a bit brighter.
    Price is about the same for both and it really is a tough call generally speaking.

The VX-I in is over the OP's $200 mark in a 3X9 but not by much so I won't comment on them.
    ($30 -$120 over)

Weaver scopes use to make fine optics in it's day. The V series was one of my favs. I don't know how they are today.
    I don't blame you there man, I do not care for the 1/2 adjustments.

Weaver is still pumping out some good ones, that V series was actually what I was referring to, they too can get a little bit pricey (over the OP's budget I believe)

But to the OP, stick with a nikon, leupold, something on the higher end of optics, those 700's are good models, but if your scope won't hold zero, or changes point of impact every few days, its just a waste. I'm not saying to buy a Swarovski, or Nightforce but get the best optics you can afford, a good riflescope will last forever, especially with the lifetime warranties.

One thing you can do is check on ebay, you can get some damn good deals there, and I know on leupolds you have a lifetime warranty on some of them no matter who owns the scope.

(Bucks County)

I agree. Since you don't need the rifles until deer season next year, save a little more money and go with decent glass.

I put a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14X40 on my .243 Rem. 700 SPS and haven't looked back. The scope was about $250 out the door.

check on ebay, you can get some damn good deals there, and I know on leupolds you have a lifetime warranty on some of them no matter who owns the scope.
    Hadn't thought of that... The $200 is ballpark, I'm not adverse to going a little over maybe to $250 or so.... just kinda wondering what people are using and the cost.

Got to many things I'm looking to buy I guess, a SA 'loaded', two new 20 guages, two Rem 700's, a XDm9 for the GF... who knows what else...
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by tdyoung58 View Post
    Hadn't thought of that... The $200 is ballpark, I'm not adverse to going a little over maybe to $250 or so.... just kinda wondering what people are using and the cost.

Got to many things I'm looking to buy I guess, a SA 'loaded', two new 20 guages, two Rem 700's, a XDm9 for the GF... who knows what else...
    Yeah thats quite a bill. Optics can get pretty damn salty, many times the scope will just about rival the price of the gun, sometimes surpass it .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast