Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Cool Smith 22A opinions anyone?

Does anyone have any opinions on the durability, reliability, or quality of a smith 22a. I was considering getting one and wondered how they held up compared to the mk2, buckmark, etc. I've heard some good things about them but not alot of significant feedback. Its not an expensive gun but neither is the mk2 and I like that as well.

Thanks in advance, Dave
    Last edited by PA Dave; March 30th, 2007 at 03:22 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Smith 22A opinions?

I handled one a couple of times. I didn't like it one bit, I guess due to the grip position is felt like I was going to shoot my feet instead of the target.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Lawrence County)

I have one. They have a recoil buffer that supposedly needs replaced on a regular basis. I smoothed the edges off the inside of the slide (like I do on my 1911's) and the buffer hasn't shown further wear in over 3000 rounds. I doubt I'll need many more.......

Mine's a four inch bull barrel model with holo sight. Due to the short barrel, it likes the higher velocity rounds. Although I never had problems, I did smooth out the outside of the extractor and the ramp to get a better angle on the rim. It tosses empties 12 yards with CCI Stingers.

The gun is very accurate and has a nice trigger. You can change barrels out easily and the rail is easy to mount optics on.

Good plinker.

(Bedford County)

My friend is a big S&W nut. A few years ago we went to an indoor gun range that was holding S&W Day where you could shoot any S&W for free and talk to the factory reps.

He was taking FOREVER talking and shooting big bore revolvers. I musta shot 300 rounds of .45 from my Glock G21 before calling it a day.

I got bored so I went out and chatted with some factory reps, and they asked if I wanted to shoot one of their guns. I bought a box of Stingers and picked up a 22A with the laminate grip panels.

I ran the target out as far as I could and shot the entire box about as fast as I could reloading the one magazine I had. I shot all 50 rounds into a 2" ragged hole and had zero malfs.

I own, and shoot Browning Buckmark's and Advantage Arms Glock kits. I never did buy a 22A. But it shot real nice for me, and I would put them right up with the Beretta or Browning as far as a plinker goes.

I went with a 22S with wood grips. A great target pistol for the price.

(Dauphin County)

Cool Re: Smith 22A opinions?

I have to say that soon I'll get one. I've been thinking about it allot lately. I have heard before that they were cheaply made and longevity was an issue but it was just someone I ran into that made the comment and I'm not giving it much weight. I'm more inclined to listen to lycanthrope who has a few rds through his.

(Lawrence County)

I like mine. The slide appears cast, but wearing has been minimal with the approx 5000 I have through mine. Smoothing up the rear of the slide where it contacts the buffer is the first thing I'd do.

They have a magazine disconnect so you can only fire them with mag in place. Easy to disable though.

Let me know if you need other questions answered.

http://www.smith-wessonforum.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    I like mine. The slide appears cast, but wearing has been minimal with the approx 5000 I have through mine. Smoothing up the rear of the slide where it contacts the buffer is the first thing I'd do.

They have a magazine disconnect so you can only fire them with mag in place. Easy to disable though.

Let me know if you need other questions answered.

http://www.smith-wessonforum.com/
    5000? man you're hard core.

(Dauphin County)

Cool Re: Smith 22A opinions?

I'm glad to hear it lycanthrope. Bogey thinks 5k is allot. Thats like 10 days out!!

Okay maybe 12! The mag thing doesn't bother me I'm lookin mainly to take some of the strain off the other .22s. You know spread the love.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA Dave View Post
    I'm glad to hear it lycanthrope. Bogey thinks 5k is allot. Thats like 10 days out!!

Okay maybe 12! The mag thing doesn't bother me I'm lookin mainly to take some of the strain off the other .22s. You know spread the love.
    Maybe he's showing some humorous sarcasm...... I never met the .22 that burned out a barrel? Is it even possible?

My .40 has about 15,000+.................

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast