Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Luzerne County)

Default Clay bird thrower

So the one son gave me a do-all full cock clay bird thrower. Does any one else have one? Any advise or things I should watch out for while using it?
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

Default Re: Clay bird thrower

I have one that is mounted on their tripod. The stakes that came with it are worse than useless, as it rips them out of the ground on every throw. What I did was mount the whole thing on a piece of plywood large enough to hold a small stool. The person operating the thrower sits on the stool on the plywood and that helps hold everything down. With some of the lighter guys, we had to screw the stool to the plywood too! Also, keep a wrench handy, and the spring will cause the parts to work loose over time.

It is not the best thrower I have ever seen, but it is fun, and we have a good time with it. But then again, we are not the best trap shooters in the world either - except when it comes to shooting off our own traps of course.

(Monroe County)

I think i've seen them attached to a truck tire w / rim and it holds them down pretty good.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Luzerne County)

This one comes with the seat. It can also be put into a trucks receiver.

I am also not the best bird shooter but it is fun.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

If your tossing following pairs in a hurry to trip up your buddy make sure you get your arm out of the way. A smack from one will leave a mark.

(Luzerne County)

I have an OLD Herters type trap.... and just use to put some rocks on the frame to keep it in the ground.... and put a LONG pull cord on it so noone was anywhere near it when it went off... made some SMALL modifications ( extra washers on tension knob to make them really FLY...)...

Had one heck of a good time with it for many years... maybe sometime we can get together and bust some birds.... bring them both and have fun...

Made up games with it... hiding it so person shooting could not see when the bird flew.. throw doubles.. ( one orange one white... had to shoot orange on first..etc...)

ENJOY... its a BALL...

(Chester County)

I have one of those cheap ass throwers made by Hoppes. The spike legs both cracked at the bend from me constantly hammering them back into the ground. Had them welded but then got sick of the thing pulling out of the ground, so I removed them, then made a cross out of a 4X4 and bolted the base of the thrower to that. I put a big eye bolt in the end of it and hammer a spike through that and into the ground. The thing wiggles a little now but I can shoot all day and it won't come out of the ground.

I've seen some guys mount a circular cut piece of plywood to an old tire, then filled the thing with cement and imbeded the spikes of the thrower into the wet cement. Putting a nut and long bolt through each spike leg will make it more secure once the cement hardens. Only problem with this setup is, it will take two people minimum to move it around. Works good though.
    Last edited by Poonie; December 29th, 2008 at 05:06 PM.