Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Thumbs up Less expensive gun club to join ?

Hi every one, I'd like to join a good gun club so I can learn some pointers in safe gun handling and tactical shooting but I heard it is too expensive to join gun clubs like this.....does any one know a very affordable gun club to join around Pittsburgh and visinity ?
    Any reasonable infos. would realy help.
    Thanks in advance.
    Deep

(Bucks County)

Less expensive than what? Have you gotten some prices already, and found them to be somewhat high? I'm not in the area, so I can't really help you find anything, but giving us a starting point may help someone else to jump in.
    Mike(starblazer)
    USAF vet. NRA life member. GOA life member.

(Lancaster County)

I believe the NRA has a list of affilitated clubs on their website.

Quote Originally Posted by deepcharge41
    I'd like to join a good gun club so I can learn some pointers in safe gun handling and tactical shooting but I heard it is too expensive to join gun clubs like this.....does any one know a very affordable gun club to join around Pittsburgh and visinity ?
    Thanks in advance.
    Deep
    I went to look at this place near Pittsburgh, it would only be about ~ 20 minutes for me to drive presently but as we are looking at moving soon, i figured i would wait a while, I dont have it's physical address, but if your good at following destructions I can probably get you there .

From Pittsburgh going north go on McNight rd, You will want to take exit Babcock and follow that east (left from the exit) to around 1851 Babcock Blvd that is an Ace Hardware store. The street right after it i believe, you will see a sign for a social club... I know, its very whimpy as direction, but your blessed, when i went there was no snow, so i wont tell you to turn at the snowman Anyways the street is either just before or just after the Ace hardware to the right if your going east. Follow it up and you will begin to see signs. Some things to remember about this place, Helps if you know some one who belongs there.
    Meetings are on Thursday, and you have to go there on a Thursday to join. It is members only! When i went I met up with the bartender who also happens to be one of the directors. He was willing to sign for me if I decided to join. But as I said, we are moving, and based on where we are looking to move, this would become an hour drive. So i am holding off.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Default Uncle bob is a relative!

Quote Originally Posted by deepcharge41 View Post
    Hi every one, I'd like to join a good gun club so I can learn some pointers in safe gun handling and tactical shooting but I heard it is too expensive to join gun clubs like this.....does any one know a very affordable gun club to join around Pittsburgh and visinity ?
    Thanks in advance.
    Deep
    Price is relative, bring uncle Bob for example, it will cost more then going by your self
    Seriously now, Price really is relative, when the GPGC was open, People thought $100 initiation and $45 per year was a lot... Think of it this way, you had some very good NRA instructors there, And you could get all sorts of pointers just by shooting with them.

In one day just shooting with some of these guys, you gained so much knowledge, you could realistically say you saved your initiation.

Shooting with Woody and Bib, I learnt more about Skeet then in any book... went from hitting the bird once in a while to an average 20/25

Bob Morris was a good teacher there also, as was Dave in USPSA, Bib also did IDPA, shooting pistol around Bib and Woody was always a competition, so you where bound to learn some thing even just looking at them shoot.

Down side, there was no automation... So you might of liked Anthony arms where your targets go away and come back mechanically.. Personally every time i went there, there where always some yahoos shooting every thing they could, including my target! so I couldnt really score my self.

Then you had Bullseye before it closed, it was a mere $185 for 3 months membership Thats just $2 per day the person there once told me.. Wonder why they closed, maybe too many $2 pouring in.

What you pay is usually relative to what you get at the club, are there member benifits? are there many NRA instructors around to show you the tricks you need?
    Is there usually a good place within the club to practice with out some cowboy shooting your target to shreads? Is there a place you can talk quietly about how you did to some one who actually teaches there. Is the equipment in constant need of repair? These are all things you want to look at when you go to a club. the Club i am looking at now is $75 first year, $50 years after... Sounds decent, the fact that my wife gets to be a member for free is even better, then there is the fact my Stepson not only gets to shoot for free but gets free membership as a US military. Wife and I can have all the visitors we want, there is a banquet hall and indoor shooting for people who cant stand the sun or rain... Pricey? I think not, yet some might. I still have to go sign up, time is not my friend these days, when i have time, things are closed!

Visit a few places, If you need to visit the club i am looking at, its in Harmony, just 6 miles up from Ambridge, possibly not too far from you, I used to drive an hour with out traffic to get to the GPGC.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Frenchy; September 11th, 2006 at 12:47 AM.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Lebanon County)

Thumbs up Re: Less expensive gun club to join ?

Lets say I know someone with a lot of thier own land, could we all just get together and shoot there? He said he wouldn't mind. As long as we were responsible and careful. We should set something up. get back to me at sptmantis@aol.com

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Less expensive gun club to join ?

Did you find a place yet?

(Allegheny County)

Now, if your looking for a cheap shooting range go to the state gamelands. If you want a range thats kept clean, safe and inforamatible, your going to have to pay a little.

I'm on the Board of Directors at Northside Sportsmen's Assoc. (NSSA)

Our club is located in Warrendale, PA. The membership dues aren't outragous but you get what you pay for.

If you want more infromation let me know or visit the website NSSA.WS

(Bucks County)

The range dues will be trivial compared to the ongoing cost of ammo you should be buying.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by scottshere2 View Post
    Lets say I know someone with a lot of thier own land, could we all just get together and shoot there? He said he wouldn't mind. As long as we were responsible and careful. We should set something up.
    I'd caution you on doing that. If someone were to get hurt, the landowner who allowed them on the property would be open to liability in a lawsuit. No matter how much you have someone's word on it, etc, it can happen. If in a worse case scenario, someone were killed their family could very easily name everyone involved down to the landowner and even the person who sold them the gun and ammo. It may be a BS suit, and it may not stick, but you have to be careful. Not saying don't do it, just be very careful about who you invite.

We're a bit of a haul from Coraopolis, but Long Branch Sportsman's Club dues are $10 initiation and $40 per year dues. 50' indoor pistol range and 100yd outdoor range. Several members are NRA instructors. Pistol league during fall/winter months. www.bloomautomatic.com/lbsc

Vince
    www.bloomautomatic.com - Golf Ball Launchers for AR-15, SKS, FAL, and many others

www.bloomautomatic.com/lbsc - Long Branch Sportsman's Club, Long Branch, PA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast