Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Light recomendations for my AR

So, I am in process of tinkering with my middy.
    I have a half rail mid-length FFT on order from RRA (will prob take 6-8 years) and would like to put a light on with a pressure switch.

rail:
    http://rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?f...ategory_id=380

Help me find one.

Would like:
    LED
    Over 100 lumens
    maybe strobe function
    pressure switch

I would like a constant on/off option for the light, I dont want to have to hold the pressure switch to keep it on, but would like a momentary on/off too if possible. I can move on this point.

I dont like VFG

needs a new lower (on order) this lower is on my CMP rifle now.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Light recomendations for my AR

I picked up a Sig light STL900L, for my RRA entry Tactical it's mostly for hand guns but I like the size, uses one battery 130 lumens the only thing is the buttons are confusing at first but you get the hang of it, it also has a laser, others may not like it I paid 100.00
    http://www.sigsauer.com/SigStore/Sho...&productid=285

(Allegheny County)

Shawn ... I really like that FF tube from RRA. If I were building an AR, that's what I would order.

Few questions for you, you might have to wait until it comes it though. Is it all one piece? Are you keeping your Fixed front site? If so, do you need to modify it at all for the FF tube to fit?
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    Shawn ... I really like that FF tube from RRA. If I were building an AR, that's what I would order.

Few questions for you, you might have to wait until it comes it though. Is it all one piece? Are you keeping your Fixed front site? If so, do you need to modify it at all for the FF tube to fit?
    yes, its one piece.
    yes, i am keeping my FS, although I am thinking I will trade out the post for a fiber optic
    No, no modifying,

(Allegheny County)

Couple items.

I have an aluminum handguard and at one class it literally got so hot i couldn't continue to hold it till I put leather gloves on. It was 90+ degrees that class.

It was in PeteG's basic carbine class and we ran a pretty high volume of rounds in a relatively short time.

Why do you want a pressure switch without a VFG?

Here is JSB running my AR at an early shoot.(don't abuse him for the finger on the trigger as it was the very first time he shot an AR) This one has a M3X rocker switched light but not LED (http://www.botachtactical.com/itim3xtali.html)

It has the A1 stock and the aluminum handguard.

I'll bring both so you can see the diff in the A1 and A2 stocks and how my light is mounted for ease of on off switching.

(Cambria County)

As always, the right tool for the job depends on your intended application. Is this rifle for plinking, home defense, zombies, compitition, cool factor or something else?

Surefire has a great LED Scout light, but LEDs don't work with IR filters so it would be out of the question for zombie/SHTF applications.

For home defense at very close ranges, speed is key and the distances don't require ultra bright lights. (a light that is too bright can momentarily blind you indoors also) I think that a lightweight light designed for a pistol is ideal for a home defense oriented AR.

For EOTWAWKI stuff you might need a bigger beefier light that has lots of 'throw' for 100m+ night shots.

Surefire has excellent options for all of these applications, and others... And yes, Surefire is worth the $$$.

Definitely depends on the use.

with that being said, I am likely going surefire with an offset mount offering from either GG&G or LaRue (my gun is being set up for defense). Knights makes rail covers (will eliminate the issue of heating up your hands that 27 mentioned) that have slots in them for the pressure switches.

If you're tuning your AR for defensive needs ( I think this is what you said) I would reconsider adding an optic. The night sights are still a good Idea but you want every possible advantage you can have.

I was so dead set anti red dots for so long that it was affecting my judgement. Now that I have a properly cowitnessed setup on my gun with a quality RDS....I wouldnt think of going irons only for a defensive gun.

(Allegheny County)

this will be a defensive carbine

I have tried plenty of optics, I am always open to others suggestions and will gladly try more, but i just dont think they are for me. I dont want to derail my own thread here to discuss the pro/con of optics and irons.

I really like my Streamlight Super Tac. I am the primary repair person for the Super Tac, so my comments may be a little pro Super Tac.

I used my range finder to verify different buildings and I was able to range a building at 189 yards. The Super Tac was able to reach that rooftop. I was impressed with the throw of my ST. The ST is IPX-7 rated, which means you can submerse the light in water for 30 minutes.

Run time is pretty good...it is listed at 3.5 hours on 2 CR123A batteries, but it's more like 2.5 on high setting and the last hour is just usable light.

You will need our rail to mount the Super Tac on the weapon, but it's a sturdy mount. You can get an optional pressure pad for the ST as well.

Street prices are $80.

i lust put a sreamlight tlr-2 on my ak . it is an ati foregrip and the location and ease of use for this light could not be better lower fore grip rh sidei will try tp get some pics up
    Last edited by ruggerio; December 28th, 2008 at 12:12 PM.
    To err is human, to be prepared divine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast