Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Carrying from PA to VA.

All,

I have a question concerning carrying. I travel from PA to VA almost every weekend and have to do the 10mile stretch or so through MD. What is the best way to transport the gun through maryland without any issues?

I drive a single cab pickup truck so pretty much any place in the vehicle can be considered "reachable".

I was thinking about pulling out the clip and putting it in the glove box. Then leaving the gun holstered under the passenger seat. Would this be considered okay? Will I need to remove all the bullets from the clip in the glove box?

Thanks for any help you can give. Would hate to break a law on accident.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Carrying from PA to VA.

Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Monroe County)

I would not recommend that. You really should have it in a box out of the passager area. I know kind of hard with that truck. Thats why I had a bed box when I had a P/U.
    Also VA CC/OC laws are not the same as PA so be aware-
    http://www.vcdl.org/static/ccw.html
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Cumberland County)

Thanks for the info fellas! I will try to get a box for my pickup. Out of curiosity what do most people do? Do ya pull over before Maryland line and put your gun in the trunk and the clip in the glove box? Then when you pull into West Virginia you pull it back out and strap it on? Seems like a pain but atleast you wont be getting in any trouble!

Thanks for the link on the VA rules too. I didnt see to much different besides the places that serve alcohol.

Besides Maryland I can keep it on my hip at all times while driving correct?

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by NealLauderman View Post
    Thanks for the info fellas! I will try to get a box for my pickup. Out of curiosity what do most people do? Do ya pull over before Maryland line and put your gun in the trunk and the clip in the glove box? Then when you pull into West Virginia you pull it back out and strap it on? Seems like a pain but atleast you wont be getting in any trouble!

Thanks for the link on the VA rules too. I didnt see to much different besides the places that serve alcohol.

I have two of these. Usually, one stays in each vehicle, in the passenger compartment. For trips where I'm required to pass through MD, I secure both in my car trunk. Just before I cross into MD, I stop and place my firearms into one, and magazines/ammo in the other. As soon as I enter WV, I retrieve them, reload, and place them in their respective homes (at least one being on my person).

There has been some discussion over whether or not magazines need to be unloaded. Per federal transport law, they do not; but, apparently there is a MD game regulation that prohibits loaded magazines. IF you notify an officer that you have firearms, and IF you actually voluntarily unlock your trunk and storage cases to allow your firearms to be viewed, this may or may not create an added aspect to your encounter. I'm less likely to actually unload my magazines for the few miles directly south into WV than I am if I'm headed west to KY, and will be spending a longer time in MD.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by NealLauderman View Post

I have not double checked but I seem to remember that hospitals and churches are off limits for carry also. The bar/restaurant rules are a little illogical so do read those over if they might apply to your trip. Basically CONCEALED carry is prohibited in ANY bar or restaurant that serves alcoholic beverages. OPEN carry is allowed in all of these facilities. There are probably a couple of there places as well.

VA has a preemption law just like PA and they have a great 2nd Amendment Rights organization that continually fights all instances of local governments ignoring the preemption rules. They are great.

Generally VA is a VERY pro-second amendment state except for the areas right around DC and some issues in the Norfolk area.

Enjoy your trip abd be safe.

I AM NOT A LAWYER I CANNOT OFFICIALLY GIVE LEGAL ADVICE- But i live in VA and have traveled to MD many times with a firearm. In Virginia the firearm must be in plain sight if you do not have a concealed carry permit, since you do your fine to have the gun anywhere you would like to keep it. Any place which has a permits for on premise alcohol sales it is illegal to conceal a firearm, but open carry is legal. you cannot carry in to a Church or any federal building. you may have a gun in the car at a School but that is massive gray area, so i would not advise it.

In Maryland- a Loaded magazine is viewed as a firearm, retarded but that is the way it is. most of the time its ok to carry as long as have your gun and ammo separate. but if the mag can be easily accessed and loaded in to the pistol that is illegal. personally as soon as i hit Maryland, i take the ammunition out of the mag, place the ammo in the driver console, place the mag in the glove box, and place the firearm in the trunk. in your case i would say place the firearm in it box behind your seat and you should be just fine.

hope this helps

(Northampton County)

Better yet... build a really, really tall ramp, floor your truck all the way to the top, and jump over the entire 10-mile stretch into Virginia.

Personally, I'm not going to unload my magazines to comply with Maryland law, as Federal law trumps that so long as I comply with the Federal provisions. And seeing that we ended up with an MG ban in that Federal law, I sure as Hell am not going to give up the protections of the rest of it. Kiss my ass, Maryland.

Safety is a good tool for tyrants; no one can be against safety.

Μολὼν λαβέ

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by T3h H4t View Post
    In Maryland- a Loaded magazine is viewed as a firearm, retarded but that is the way it is. most of the time its ok to carry as long as have your gun and ammo separate. but if the mag can be easily accessed and loaded in to the pistol that is illegal. personally as soon as i hit Maryland, i take the ammunition out of the mag, place the ammo in the driver console, place the mag in the glove box, and place the firearm in the trunk. in your case i would say place the firearm in it box behind your seat and you should be just fine.

hope this helps
    Folks would do well to heed the warning not to take your advice, as it could cost them quite a bit. Your personal routine for travel through MD does not meet the requirements of federal law. I suggest you take a look at the thread I linked to in post #2 of this thread. There you (and anyone else) can definitively learn what the law requires be done.

Better idea, head west to Pitt, south to WV then SE to Virginia, screw Maryland.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast