Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Cambria County)

Default Sporting Goods Discounters in Johstown, PA--my favorite place!

LOVE this shop! Best prices that I've found, they do layaways, and will even pull something that you are undecided about from the display and put it back for a few days while you make up your mind so someone else doesn;t snag it in the meantime (like I did with my Nite Hawg, because some guy DIDN'T have them pull it when they offered to, and I came in while he was debating with himself and snapped it up!), they take trade-ins, and if there's something you want and they DON'T have, they'll do their best to get it for you (they've done that for us). Not only that, but I DON'T get any condescending attitudes because I'm a woman there...I get treated with respect as a fellow shooter and hunter, and they know my name! When they see me coming in, it's "Hi, Vicki, what can we do for you today".

They only drawback I've found there is that sometimes it takes a while to get out of there, because the guys like to talk!
    Last edited by IceFire; July 13th, 2006 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Corrected spelling
    Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in every caliber.

I'm armed and menopausal...Excuse me, did you have something to say?

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by IceFire
    because the guys like to talk!
    I found this to be the case at just about every gun shop/range I've ever been in.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01
    I found this to be the case at just about every gun shop/range I've ever been in.
    +1 I wouldn't trust a place that didn't want to bs at least a little bit.
    Mike(starblazer)
    USAF vet. NRA life member. GOA life member.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by starblazer
    +1 I wouldn't trust a place that didn't want to bs at least a little bit.
    I generally enjoy the gabfests, it's only when I'm in a hurry (like when I'm on my way to class) that's it's an issue. The guys there are great.

So, are you going to share with the rest of us the name of this establishment, or are you just going to keep it a secret from everyone? Kidding of course...I at times don't like to share my hot spots as well, but I do because I like this site. Beside, I visit so many shops in the area...I find some great deals and pass them along to other members.

People like to BS about the shooting sports...which is why I worked PT at a gun shop...I didn't do it for the money, nor did I do it for the pay (what a joke that was)...I did it because the only person I know that shoots is my friend who is a police officer. I just enjoy talking to people from all walks of life about shooting. It is entertaining and it's cheaper than buying so many firearms.

(Cambria County)

I put the name right there in the title...Sporting Goods Discounters in Johnstown (Cambria County). They are located in the College Park Plaza on Scalp Avenue just a few doors down from the Giant Eagle grocery store. If you ever get over there, tell the guys that Vicki sent you.

(Somerset County)

I have to agree with Ice Fire. If you’re in the Johnstown area, go to Sporting Goods Discounters for your Guns & Ammo. I like to talk to Doug. He has loads of information, tons of patiences and of course talks your ear off. I have bought 5 guns there in the past year or so. I send everyone I know there. They take very good care of me. The last gun I purchased was a Savage 10FP with the Choate varmint stock. They will mount and bore site anything you buy there for free. So I had them mount my new Super Sniper to my Savage. While they were mounting the Leuplod bases one of screws tightened up and snapped off in the receiver. They sent it to a gunsmith but since it was locktited they couldn’t get it out. Within three days S.G.D. had a new replacement Savage which they opened in front of me to show it wasn’t my old one. No questions asked. I will have to post a few pictures.

(Cambria County)

Yeah, Doug is a great guy. I usually deal with either him, Jeremy, or Denny (that is when they let Denny in the store!--for those of you who aren't familiar with the place, Denny is the owner ) but Doug is the one there most of the time. They take VERY good care of their customers--case in point, we had gone out shooting, and DH's 9mm was tending to jam...turns out the ammo was only 110 grain, and mfg recommends 124 grain--and DH was not sure whether or not he wanted to keep the gun, but we went to get a box of 124 grain ammo to fire for comparison...The only box of 124 grain ammo they had was missing 2 rounds, so we got it at a great discount ($9 instead of $16), AND Doug GAVE us a box of 147 grain ammo "on the house" to test out and let him know if it worked. (It worked great, BTW, and we let him know so that he could pass along the info to other owners). How many places do you know of that take care of their customers like that? (Of course, we're in there a LOT)

(Westmoreland County)

Interesting. My wife (who is from Johnstown) were talking this past weekend about what shoppes were in Johnstown. All we came up with was Hornick's (sic?), Gander mountain and Walmart (there's probably more that we don't know about). Thanks for the info.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by Chief
    Interesting. My wife (who is from Johnstown) were talking this past weekend about what shoppes were in Johnstown. All we came up with was Hornick's (sic?), Gander mountain and Walmart (there's probably more that we don't know about). Thanks for the info.
    Sporting Goods Discounters USED to be up in Westmont, but they relocated to their present location a couple of years ago. They're a great bunch to do business with. Was just in there tody, and put a Winchester 20-gauge (youth model, because, face it, I'm SHORT!) on layaway. You can NOT beat their prices! I've found them to be CONSISTENTLY less expensive than Gander Mt. and if you DO happen to find a less expensive gun at GM, SPG will MATCH the price.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast