Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default Reloading Equipment - Good ones you own, and the Not so good...

Well i'm curious about what type of equipment reloaders use and their experiences with them. I'm finding myself contemplating a different press, brand of dies, etc. So let me share what i have...

Presses
    Dillon XL650 Progressive
    - Casefeeder, Strong-Mount, all the sensors.
    - Opinion: Love it, makes loading practice ammunition a breeze. Although i do wish the powder measure was a little more consistent with IMR powders...

Lyman T-Mag II Turret Press
    - Opinion: Nice quality and the press i got started with. It does seem to have a little too much play with the turret, but its effects are marginal at best.

Dies
    RCBS Dies
    *Have: 9mm Luger, 40S&W, 45ACP, 357Mag, 308Win, 30-06Spring.
    - Opinion, first brand of dies i started with, i currently have a 7.5x55mm Swiss Die set by Redding on order so i get to compare quality between the two brands.
    Dillon Precision
    *Have: 40S&W, 30-06Spring.
    - Heavy Duty decapping stems/pins, separate taper crimp dies, designed for Dillons Progressive presses.
    Hornady Cam-Lock Puller
    - While Not a die, but a bullet puller i thought i would share this is the BEST way of breaking down ammunition without damaging the bullets.

Powder Measures
    Lyman No.55
    - I guess you can say its a classic style measure, came with my starting kit. Found it not to be very consistant unless using the finest grain powders. Using IMR powders found it to be about +/- 1.5gn. !
    Redding BR3 Measure
    - While still not perfect with IMR powders, +/- 0.5gn. It is by far better quality and tolerances than the Lyman. Again another +1 for Redding.
    Lyman DPS1200II
    - Sold it after having too many issues using fine grain powder. Actually was awesome with IMR powders +/- 0.1gn. But SLOW!

Scales
    Lyman 1000 Electronic Scale
    - Came with my starter kit, tends to drift from zero a bit but easily solved by zeroing every 10 or so weighings.
    UniqueTek High-Precision Electronic Scale
    - 0.02 Grain Accuracy, Very Precise and does not drift unless you bump it or the table. Gives info in Grains, Grams, Carats, Ounces, Troy Ounces and Pennyweights. Backlight Display. VERY fast reporting. www.uniquetek.com

Ok i think thats about all i own except for a rediculous amount of military ammo cans for storage.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jean-Luc Picard
    Oh yes, thats how it starts. The road from legitimate suspicion to rampant paranoia is very much shorter than we think.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Reloading Equipment - Good ones you own, and the Not so good...

I am not going to go into all the stuff I have. I can say that you can not go wrong with anything RCBS. PERIOD. Best custiomer service in the industry.
    Best dies out there are Forster, worst dies I have ever had the misfortune of owning/using is Hornaday.
    Jeff
    Last edited by Pukindog; March 29th, 2007 at 10:38 PM.

(Centre County)

I have the Lyman crusher II press and all the other goodies that came with the master kit (I just started reloading in December).

The press works great but it is a single stage so things take a little longer.

Dies:
    RBCS: have them for the 45 acp and 40 S&W no problems there at all
    Lyman: .243, .270 and .223 seem to work fine, I haven't had a problem
    Lee: .400 corbon dies Not really a big fan, the sizing die doesn't seem to correctly size the case so I have to run it through the 45acp die after I size the neck.

Lyman No.55 powder measure: pretty consistant with my pistol powders but rifle powders I have the same problem as Agent Ronin.

The scale is the Lyman 550: seems to work fine.

Frankford Arsenal Impact Bullet Puller: it does what it is designed to do but you do really have to hit it.

and lots of ammo cans

I have RCBS and Dillon presses. Been using RCBS for 40 years at least. Dillon is a little newer. All of my dies are RCBS, Redding or Dillon except for the Lee taper crimp die. I do have a couple of Vickerman Bullet seaters that I bought about 1965 - great seater dies.

I like the Forster case trimmer best.

Don't cast bullets anymore, but still have a SAECO lubri-sizer.

I have been totally satisfied with all of the above and would need a compelling reason to buy any other brands.

(Dauphin County)

Cool Re: Reloading Equipment - Good ones you own, and the Not so good...

Hey ronin, sounds like u got a good set-up. If your runnin a dillon u arent as worried about cost as theyre a little pricey. The only equip I've used that I didn't care for are lee dies are pretty inconsistant/poor quality, and the seaters on hornady pistol dies aren't my fav but they do work. If you stay with forster, redding, rcbs, lyman dies u can't lose. My favorite dies are the redding but it is mostly impression/opinion.

(Berks County)

Haven't moved up to a progressive yet, still single staging it (have 2 Lees).

Most of my equipment is Lee, some RCBS dies, a Lyman 1200 Tumbler, various odds and ends and tools.

Saving up for a progressive, so far keeping my eye on a Dillon.

Can't praise enough the Lee Universal Decapper, I have really worked this thing to death and it keeps on going, Lee makes one of the strongest Decapping Pins in my opinion. Real tough workhorse especially on those tough military primer crimps.

I think I will always use the singles for small jobs even when I upgrade, plan on making one a dedicated decapping station.

Agent Ronin, thanks for the tip on the Uniquetek scale, I am looking to also upgrade to a nice scale and that one looks pretty good.

So far I have no complaints or problems with any of my equipment (other than self inflicted screw ups!) I do like the RCBS case prep tools that have the threaded screwdriver type handle.
    Last edited by 762xIan; March 31st, 2007 at 09:27 AM.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Lebanon County)

My reloading setup is single stage. I have a lot of Lee equipment and I really like most of it. The cast aluminum link on their Challenger press is the weak point, but that can be upgraded to a steel link for only a few $$. I have a Lee hand press that I must say is my favorite. I also have a Lee Challenger press, a Rock Chucker and Rock Chucker Jr.. (I'm thinking about selling the Rock Chucker).
    I like the Lee Autoprime tool, it's simple, efficient and you get a good feel for consistent seating. The argument against them is that they need special shell holders. My counter argument is that those shell holders are inexpensive, and you can change calibers in a matter of seconds. I had the RCBS version of a hand prime tool for a short while. I promptly sold it, I'll take the Lee tool any day.
    The Lee dies are said to be inferior, but I have yet to see why. I've been using them for more than 15 years without a problem. In fact I've replaced some RCBS dies with Lee just because I like the simplicity of the Lee dies. (I don't need an Allen wrench to make an adjustment to the Lee dies). Don't get me wrong, I have dies by Lee, RCBS, Hornady, Redding, and there is nothing wrong with the quality of any of them. Maybe if I were loading millions of rounds instead of thousands I might see a difference in longevity, but so far I haven't worn out any brand of die.
    I like the RCBS deburring or neck chamfer tool as well as the primer pocket brush.
    The Lee scale is plenty good for accuracy, but it is limited to 110 grains. That's sufficient for all powder charges I need to weigh, but not enough to weigh bullets. I have an old Redding scale for that.
    The most I load at one time is usually 100 or fewer. If I had a need for high volume I'd be looking into a progressive setup. (I had a Green Machine by RCBS several years ago. It was a good enough setup but it took up too much valuable workbench space for just one caliber).
    I've tried a lot of different lubes. My favorite is Red Wing Mink Oil. No, that's not a typo. Red Wing Mink Oil is lanolin and silicone. Just a little bit makes the case plenty slippery and it wipes off leaving the brass cleaner than any other lube I've tried. It's not very expensive, a tin of it will last a really long time, and you can use it on leather too.
    I guess the bottom line is this:
    Get what best suits your needs and your budget. You're making a good move by asking for advice, but don't try to take all of the advice you get, it'll drive you crazy. Just try to use it to find out why some people like or dislike some equipment, and what you might want to look for to suit your individual needs.
    You can also pick up some good tips that you might never know about without asking.

(Berks County)

mauser, you are the second person I heard recommend mink oil for case lube, I'm going to have to give it a try....thanks for the tip.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by 762xIan View Post
    Agent Ronin, thanks for the tip on the Uniquetek scale, I am looking to also upgrade to a nice scale and that one looks pretty good.
    No problem, that is really why i wanted to start this thread. See what everyone is using and maybe see those cool little gadgets that are outside the mainstream brands.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jean-Luc Picard
    Oh yes, thats how it starts. The road from legitimate suspicion to rampant paranoia is very much shorter than we think.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ronin View Post
    No problem, that is really why i wanted to start this thread. See what everyone is using and maybe see those cool little gadgets that are outside the mainstream brands.
    Pleazzzzze continue. I own all kinds of crap..hand-me-downs except my original Dillion Square Deal B (135.00) but I suck when it comes to new technology! I need a fast-cheap primer-pocket cleaner. My fingers just won't do that manually-anymore..maybe it's my brain..can't be sure. For Easter..I promised myself I would buy a chrono or a electric powder trickler..I bought stuffed Easter baskets and T-ball equipment instead. The "Jman" died on the cross for weaved baskets stuffed with candy? I say NO..he reloaded HIMSELF! (Ned pushes while praying)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast