Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pocket Pistols

(Jefferson County)

Default Pocket Pistols

Anyone else here have a liking for those pocket pistols? I'm talking the things like the old Baby Browning, Astra, and a number of those Euro 25acp and 32acp guns. Also like the newer NAA, Rohrbaugh, the cheap Jennings legacy of 25acp, etc. The metal guns mostly(Steel, zinc, etc). Not so much these polymer things of today.

Mom always said that my disposition was perfect for my birth month of June. I am a person of two extremes; black or white, big or small, yes or no, all or nothing. With guns, it holds true - I like 44/45/50cal+ and I like 22/25cal guns, not much in between except a soft spot for 32cal rifles and pistols. The actual size of gun is the same too, from little pistols that are easily hidden in the palm of my hand to virtual hand-rifles.

My only pocket pistols are my Cobra 38spl derringer and and my Raven MP25. They are getting harder and harder to find these days. I remember growing up and into my early 20's these little buggers were a dime-a-dozen and you could buy them in pawn/gun shops for $50-60 new and as low as $20 FTF/private any day of the week. From the cheapo Davis/Jennings to the better quality Colt/Brownings and other nice Euro pistols. Now, the last decent Euro(old) 25acp pocket pistol I saw was at Ace's almost 2 years ago for $160. It was a pre-'68 import, and I nearly drooled over it. But I had just bought a Walther P99, and was there only to get a holster.
    Last edited by knight0334; December 24th, 2008 at 10:18 AM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Pocket Pistols

i have a soft spot for them, even the cheap ROF ones. my very first pistol was a cheap little throwaway gun; i only had it for a few weeks before i had to ditch it. i never took it apart, or cleaned it. i bought from a guy who knew a guy, and test fired a few rounds through it in an abandoned building.

about a year ago, i saw a Cobra/Davis .380, and i felt a weird pang of nostalgia, so i bought it, and regretted it. it was a piece of crap.

last week, something miraculous happened: i found the exact same gun i had! i was in Honesdale, and visited Northeast Firearms, and saw it behind the counter. it was a Raven Arms .25ACP. it was alot cheaper than what i paid for mine, all those years ago.

i think i'll pick up another one, when i have the money to spare. until then, i'll just settle on my P3AT as my BUG.

(Luzerne County)

I have a few that could easily fit in my pocket. A few .22s a .38 or two. I even have the raven .25 jahwarrior mentioned. But the one I carry on occasion is my colt mustang .380.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Pike County)

I carried a Sterling .22 auto as a BUG for years. Still have it. Lot's of memories of it being there.
    Carried a Raven as a BUG in Az years ago. All I could afford at the time.
    There are still times when a mousegun is the only way to go.
    I love my little NAA .22mag mini revolver as well.

(Chester County)

I like my Beretta jetfire in 25 acp for always carry or as a bug. It has the same manual of arms as my 1911's. Also have colt in 25 and another beretta in 22lr.

(Allegheny County)

I've own a few, but have just one now. Something about my AMT backup I like. It's SS 380 DAO. A real heavy trigger pull and no external safety. It has a firing pin block that disengages when you start to pull the trigger. It weights quite a lot, but then again it doesn't hurt to shoot. When I bought it, it FTF about every 6 rounds. I discovered that the firing pin where the hammer meets it was worn down and rounded (I'm guessing from someone dry firing it). I bought a replacement along with a replacement spring set. It now runs flawlessly. Another feature I like is the double strike capability.

The picture isn't mine.

Last edited by Hawk; December 24th, 2008 at 11:20 AM.
    Toujours prêt

(Philadelphia County)

We are talking Mouse guns, Right?
    I concider them Church/DR. office/Dentist guns,,,,
    I have 4 of them,
    Here is a Colt Mustang Pocketlite, A Keltec P3AT both in 380 acp
    Then we have the older ones,
    A Colt 1908 Vest pocket from 1918, and a Beretta 418 from 1948. Both in .25 acp.
    The beretta is way too much fun, Hits where you aim it and has never had any failure in the 100ds rounds I have put through it, I am sorry to say that the Colt Vest pocket has not been quite as reliable. Mabey it needs new springs?!!!( they are only 90 years old) So I cant see why.

Besides these I have many J frame Smths, Not quite as thin.
    Peter.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    i have a soft spot for them, even the cheap ROF ones. my very first pistol was a cheap little throwaway gun; i only had it for a few weeks before i had to ditch it. i never took it apart, or cleaned it. i bought from a guy who knew a guy, and test fired a few rounds through it in an abandoned building.

about a year ago, i saw a Cobra/Davis .380, and i felt a weird pang of nostalgia, so i bought it, and regretted it. it was a piece of crap.

last week, something miraculous happened: i found the exact same gun i had! i was in Honesdale, and visited Northeast Firearms, and saw it behind the counter. it was a Raven Arms .25ACP. it was alot cheaper than what i paid for mine, all those years ago.

i think i'll pick up another one, when i have the money to spare. until then, i'll just settle on my P3AT as my BUG.
    The bolded/underlined part made me laugh very heartily... That's all I have to say about that

But anyhow... I have recently become fascinated with the Rohrbaugh R9/R9s... The two main things keeping me from getting one are: 1) The apparent "hit-or-miss" nature of their out-of-the-box functionality, and 2) Their steep prices. Add those two factors together, and it's enough to keep me away for the time being.

But there's just something appealing about a pistol that small that still fires a "respectable" round in 9x19... Although I also hear that these Rohrbaughs are quite ammo-finicky (115 Speer Gold Dot standard pressure seems to be the bread-and-butter load).

Regards,

-Bones

(Jefferson County)

d00d! I'm sooooo jealous of you right now!
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    d00d! I'm sooooo jealous of you right now!
    Jealous of whom?

I personally want a Seecamp 380!
    Peter.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast