Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What can I do about the Cheap Plastic on my Henry Lever Action Model H001??

Hello all!!

I just got The Henry Lever Action Model H001 as an early Christmas gift.

I was severely disappointed in the quality of the plastic barrel and forearm bands. I don't recall the old Henry Model 001 I had having these plastic parts.

Though I traded my old Model 001 in on a Marlin 1894C a few years back, I told my wife I wanted to get a Henry with "Brooklyn, New York" stamped on the barrel, as Henry has recently moved its production facilities to Bayonne, NJ.

Yeah, I knew going in that the overall quality of the Henry.22 caliber carbine is no comparison (given it's black painted aluminum receiver, etc.) to the quality of the Marlin39a, still I wanted one.

Can any of you lever-gun lovers tell me where to go to find black steel or blued steel replacement parts??

Any help you folks could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Stay well.

---elston

"I have always been fond of the West African proverb: 'Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.'" - Theodore Roosevelt, January 26, 1900.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ! - King Leonidas I, 480 B.C.
    When seconds count, the police are only minutes away. - modern adage.

(Somerset County)

Default Re: What can I do about the Cheap Plastic on my Henry Lever Action Model H001??

show us pictures

Default Re: What can I do about the Cheap Plastic on my Henry Lever Action Model H001??

I bought my Henry years ago. The barrel band has always been plastic.

I don't know if they still do it, but I called the company and asked if there was a metal barrel band replacement I could buy. They said sure -- and sent me one for free. The screw wasn't long enough to fit the new one, so I called back and they sent me a new screw.

My wife bought an H001 a couple of years back. I replaced the rear plastic barrel band with a metal one from Henry. You have to call and ask for one. I got mine for free, but I know some folks had to pay for theirs. Also, I replaced the front sight, which is also plastic, with a Williams Shorty Ramp and a fiber insert. Because the sight also acts as a front barrel band, I bought a front barrel band for a Winchester 9422 from Winchester and fit it. It took some time with a Dremel to fit the screws, but the end result works pretty well. I plan to replace the fiber front with a taller insert. I put a peep on the dovetail and I have to dial it way back to get it to hit right for my wife.

For what you pay and what you get, the Henry is a great little gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Greywolf View Post
    I bought my Henry years ago. The barrel band has always been plastic.
    I don't know if they still do it, but I called the company and asked if there was a metal barrel band replacement I could buy. They said sure -- and sent me one for free. The screw wasn't long enough to fit the new one, so I called back and they sent me a new screw.
    Greywolf:

I guess that I never had noticed the plastic front sight & barrel band on the first Henry model 001 an older used rifle I bought some years ago.

I do know that I noticed the black painted "aluminum" receiver.

Nevertheless, I still want to want to replace those plastic parts.

Stay well.

---elston
    Last edited by elston32; December 25th, 2008 at 01:51 AM. Reason: sp, clarification

"I have always been fond of the West African proverb: 'Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.'" - Theodore Roosevelt, January 26, 1900.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    My wife bought an H001 a couple of years back. I replaced the rear plastic barrel band with a metal one from Henry. You have to call and ask for one. I got mine for free, but I know some folks had to pay for theirs. Also, I replaced the front sight, which is also plastic, with a Williams Shorty Ramp and a fiber insert. Because the sight also acts as a front barrel band, I bought a front barrel band for a Winchester 9422 from Winchester and fit it. It took some time with a Dremel to fit the screws, but the end result works pretty well. I plan to replace the fiber front with a taller insert. I put a peep on the dovetail and I have to dial it way back to get it to hit right for my wife.

For what you pay and what you get, the Henry is a great little gun.
    Thank you for the help Ronin!!

I thought to do as much myself, and tried to call 12/24/2008 in the morning.

As you probably guessed already, the best I could do was to leave a message with Henry's answering service.

Thanks again!!

Stay well.

---elston

(Perry County)

i know they sell replacement bands.

Thumbs up Re: What can I do about the Cheap Plastic on my Henry Lever Action Model H001??

HENRY LEVER ACTION RIFLES
    Hello shooting friends! I was recently interested in obtaining a nice lever action rifle, so I thought about a Henry after obtaining one of their free brochures that they offered on the television (by the way, they also have a website for free catalog ordering: www.henryrepeating.com/catalog.cfm). First, I wanted to see what my fellow shooters out there thought of them. After researching several forums, I found out what people had to say about them. To my dismay, I read that they use “plastic” parts to hold the front barrel wood on and also use “plastic” sights. This really dimmed my lights (and my sights!). I thought…who would want a rifle that is held together by “plastic” and even sighted using “plastic” that could melt, bend or crack. That is not my idea of quality at all. However, the rifles really looked nice and the prices were very reasonable, so I decided to contact the company to inquire if they sold replacement components that were actually made of metal. Well, the answer came back that they do have replacement parts available. This is what I was told: Consumers can order metal barrel bands (Part # HL2229 for $3.50) and metal front sight (Part # HL2231 for $10.00) plus $7.50 shipping by calling toll free 866-200-2354. Additionally, all of their rifles are now equipped with metal bands and metal sights! Just in case anyone is interested, they also sent me some following info to digest. The exact points that they made to me were:
    1. All Henry H001 series rifles now come with metal barrel bands and metal front sights.
    2. All Henry Golden Boy rifles now come with brass barrel band and are all pre-drilled and tapped for easy scope mounting.
    3. All Henry Big Boy rifles now come pre-drilled and tapped.
    4. The Henry H009 steel round barrel 30-30 now features the XS Ghost Ring sight system, has checkered stock with rubber butt pad, swivels and has been reduced in weight down to 7 pounds.

I don’t want to sound like an advertiser for them, I just thought it be proper that I should share any info that I received to prevent those interested in these guns from being misled like I was initially. Guess what? I ordered one of their lever action carbines! And it's MADE IN AMERICA! What a great rifle for the price! The receiver is grooved for dovetail rings so I ordered the best-made pair that I could find. I chose the BSA brand that allows you to view the iron sights below the scope, and I am currently waiting for a NcStar scope. In case you’re interested, I also found 22 cal.short ammo “by the brick” at a really great price from http://www.midwayusa.com. Now I can plink, plink, plink till my heart’s content, or hunt till my freezer is full! SHOOT ON BROTHER!
    PS: The next neat rifle that has caught my roving eye is Henry’s pump action gallery style 22. It reminds me of the good old boardwalk days! Gotta git me one!

(Franklin County)

Off subject: I know of a good sling for a Henry. Very simple set up for slinging with no drilling. The Whole sling just velcros on. It's called a SlingALL for Henry.

(Monroe County)

OP, Henry sells the replacement bands in metal at their website for about 7 bucks, you can buy them there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast