Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Franklin County)

Default Anyone knowledgeable about HO Trains or Antique Railroad Lanterns?

my grandfather passed about a year ago and my family has reached the last large task of appraising and selling his HO model train collection (i'm guessing on the order of 400+ trains in boxes) and Antique railroad lanterns (maybe 40 or so)

they meant a lot to him and while we'd love to keep them, we simply can't.... however finding information is hard (especially about the lanterns, as some a very old and in amazing shape)

anyone into these hobbies and know their stuff or have a contact?

thanks for reading guys and gals!

-advocate

Default Re: Anyone knowledgeable about HO Trains or Antique Railroad Lanterns?

Since you're thinking about liquidating, try searching for similar items on ebay. Despite ebay's enmity toward guns, no other online auction service has the audience. As I type this there's about 18 thousand HO scale items on ebay right now (search results).

With the trains, try to be as specific as possible with details, including the manufacturer (Marx, Athearn, Walther, etc). You might have some real gems given how long your grandfather was active. Expect locomotives to sell for more than rolling stock (cars), again watching out for real gems in his collection. Generally (but not always) metal locomotives will have more collector interest and command a premium, especially if it's fairly detailed.

As far as the lanterns, again check on the internet or see what's happening on ebay (RR lanterns on ebay).

Good luck, I fell into some wonderful acquisitions from a local HO rail enthusiast in the 1980s. No doubt your grandfather had some nice specimens too.
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(Franklin County)

I talked to a railfan at work today. He said that a large percentage of lanterns have a railroad name around the bottom of the metal housing. The key to their value is having the original globe (glass), because the original globes had the name embossed in the glass as well.

He also mentioned to top appraisers, and was going to e-mail their names to me, but forgot to do that. I'm going to see if Google can help me track them down. Depending on what you have, there is a chance that they may be interested themselves, if not, he said that ebay is definitely the way to go.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Franklin County)

Yay! Google helped.

Try contacting

TOMMY GILBERT'S HOBBY SHOP
    346 East Water Street
    Gettysburg, PA 17325
    Phone: (717) 337-1992
    FAX: (717) 337-0966
    e-mail: sales@gilbertshobbies.com

My friend said that Tommy (like any good businessman) likes to buy low and sell high, but he definitely knows his stuff. He said that if the collection contains a lot of brass, Tommy would probably refer you on to Howard Zane. I'm told his appraisal services aren't cheap, but again, he's a leading authority, and if you have brass, he's the guy you want. Depending on what you have he may be interested in buying the collection himself.

Howard Zane
    5236 Thunder Hill Road
    Columbia, MD 21045
    410-730-1036
    EMail: hzane1@comcast.net
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Franklin County)

WOW
    thanks a million guys!
    that really helps!

Ditto, Ebay will get you in the zone on pricing, also the train shows are a great place to spend the day at. Another place was mitchels in North Del, 1 mile from pa, they had a large ho selection, now closed, but the guys who used to run the train part opened up just right up the road. I'm sure there are forums like these for train entusiest, do some google searching. Good luck. I have the imfomus milk unloader car in ho.. The action cars are sometimes worth more than the locos...

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by justsayno View Post
    Ditto, Ebay will get you in the zone on pricing, also the train shows are a great place to spend the day at. Another place was mitchels in North Del, 1 mile from pa, they had a large ho selection, now closed, but the guys who used to run the train part opened up just right up the road. I'm sure there are forums like these for train entusiest, do some google searching. Good luck. I have the imfomus milk unloader car in ho.. The action cars are sometimes worth more than the locos...
    the HO has worked out pretty well on ebay... but the railroad lanterns have such a broad value base, i can find SEMI similar items in SOME cases, but never a an exact and normally not even a close match...

i've looked for railroad boards but most have "no appraisal policies" (apparently there are a lot of fake lanterns out there)

...i think i'll go with gnbrotz's suggestions and see where it leads me.

thanks again!