Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: How "unsafe" is (Bryco) Jennings?

Quote Originally Posted by Flint Lock View Post
    Sounds like more urban legend to me. I have a Jennings Nine, not a Talon. And Bryco Arms did not go out of business as a result of guns blowing up in people's hands. They went bankrupt after losing a lawsuit in which a kid was paralyzed because his friend was trying to unload a handgun and he accidentally fired. The lawsuit was over the absence of childproof safeties.
    My father-in-law has a jennings .22 that has come flying apart more than once at the range, and it was 100% assembled correctly. My wife gave him her beretta 32 inox and made him promise to never shoot the jennings again. it is now just a curio.

Quote Originally Posted by sidney View Post
    .... Only went thru a dozen or so clips of ammo. ...

Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(York County)

Not trying to hop in this thread out of nowhere, but i have several Bryco 25's and i have had maybe 3 jams out of about 4000 rounds thru them. User 356 at http://www.bryco-jennings-jimenezarms.com/forum/ has over 14,000 rounds through his jennings 22 before it bit the dust (minor frame crack but he retired it even though it was nowhere near a catastrophic failure) The only major cheapo gun failures has been with the 380's as you really shouldnt put a high pressure cartridge in a zinc alloy gun. You always hear "my friends bryco,jennings,jimenez, ect blew up in his hand, but i have yet to see any real proof of those failures except for the major Talon 200 failures. And also those walther p22's they are the exact same material as all those cheapo guns and from the reviews i've heard on them they are less reliable then most bryco jennings pistols. Just my 2 cents i tend to rant about these pistols as mine have been utterly reliable.

(Elk County)

I can tell you my personal experiences with a jimenez .380 I owned a year or so ago. I got it because I was on a tight budget at the time and my Ruger P95 was a little big for summer carry. I was not impressed with how it performed, not matter what I did the slide always felt gritty. It only accepted three to four rounds in the magazine before the magazine would get stuck and it would fail to feed. It kicked brass back at my face and failed to eject multiple times even after the first 100 rounds, takedown, clean, oil, try again.
    The worst thing about it was the cuts on my hand I got from the slide rubbing against my skin. I tried to adjust my hand to avoid this, but I couldn't escape it. I had the safety fly apart during cleaning one time as well (hunting for parts in the carpet). I sold it back and have a Ruger LCP now.
    Did it blow up in hand, no; did I end up hating it, yes. I couldn't depend on it cycling when I needed it so I didn't end up carrying it. With everything in life your mileage may very.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by sidney View Post
    I've had a 9mm jennings for about a month now and it works as it should. Fires every time with no jams. Only went thru a dozen or so clips of ammo. It was used and I'm sure had much more then that thru it already. I have a friend that has had a 380 since graduating college in the 80's and loves it. Shoots it regularly with no problems.
    I may be wrong but I heard that firearms had to do a 5 foot drop test to avoid firing if dropped. They had to pass this test to be saleable in the US. I believe the jennings is manufactured in Irvine,California, it least mine is listed as.
    Any brand of pistol can have a defect. My colt goldcup 45 had a front sight that was loose enough to fall off from the factory. This gun was many time more expensive then my jennings. Never had one blowup but don't want to either.
    I believe a good many problems are from ignorance like loading a 9mm in a 380. Not cleaning, using hot ammo like P+ or not inspecting for frame cracks or a mllion other issues that coulds occur in any brand.

Sid

I've already stated my feelings about Jennings/Bryco. I have 2 J-22 pistols that shoot pretty well for what they are but they're not 100% reliable. I've tried all sorts of ammo, all sorts of lube, I've tried running them dry, I've used graphite and moly, they are still just OK, not good.
    I had a J-9 that wouldn't shoot for shit. I tried all sorts of factory ammo, never +P and never reloads, it just didn't shoot for shit, period. I sold it back to the dealer I bought it from for a significant loss. He lost just as much on the deal, when he test fired it the slide flew off of the gun before he emptied one mag. The little cast metal piece that holds the spring in the back of the slide broke. Nothing to do with maintenance, cleaning, improper ammo or ignorance on the part of myself or the dealer, it was just a junk gun, literally, it's bee put aside as a parts gun in the event someone actually wants to try to repair one.
    I haven't fired either J-22 since then. I've learned to have more appreciation for the higher quality guns.
    And for what it's worth, you aren't going to fire a 9mm Luger in a .380, the round won't chamber. 9X18 Makarov won't chamber either.

The only "too hot" ammo you'll fire from a .380 is +P or "hot" reloads in the correct cartridge.
    Last edited by mauser; February 10th, 2010 at 02:47 AM. Reason: Sorry, Quoted the wrong post the first time

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

(Lackawanna County)

I had a Jennings 22 that sucked so bad for the first owner that he GAVE it to me. It didn't like the federal 40-grains that he was using; it had no problem with the CCI stuff that I had. Ultimately, I ran about 2500 rounds through it, had maybe half-a-dozen misfires or stovepipes that were not caused by a defective cartridge.

One bright and sunny day, I fired at a target, the slide came back, and kept right on coming. A casting flaw had caused it to snap in two pieces. No injury was suffered.

My personal opinion is that the gun was worth exactly what I paid for it...
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

(Philadelphia County)

On my wife's Bryco 9mm you could make the trigger override the magazine safety if you pulled slightly harder. She owned it before we met and had never fired it. The gun never instilled much confidence and I never bothered to fire it either before I sold it.

There are so many cheap, functional guns out there (Makarovs, Hi-Points, Bersas, used Mark IIs) that I cannot see why anyone would want to play Bryco Roulette but to each his own.

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by wa3ra View Post
    A casting flaw had caused it to snap in two pieces. No injury was suffered.
    Luckily for me the .380 I owned broke in two while stored in a gun case for a year. The pressure of the recoil spring on the slide caused it to crack on both sides. If that happened at the range I would've gotten a face full of slide. Luckily it was so un-reliable it was annoying to even shoot at the range.

Here is a little proof of how unsafe. I owned the same gun, the jennings 9. It shot great, had fully adjustable rear sights, and it was cheap. It shot pretty good for the first 500 or so rounds with ball ammo. Would not shoot any hollowpoints. FTF every time. After the first 500 or so rounds it started spitting out the various pins holding it together after 10 rounds or so. Just a total piece of crap. Then the story about the Lakeland range shooting came out and I started looking online and found all kinds of negative things. So it went to the nearest gun shop and it was traded in on a Kel-Tec p380. They gave me all of $25 which I didn't complain about. You can pick up a brand new S&W Sigma for under $300.00 and the newest generations are great guns. Not really a CC gun but then again neither is the Jennings. Kel-Tec also under $300 in the .380 flavor and under $350 in the 9. They have the best customer service of just about anyone.

Story about range accident...
    http://www.tampabay.com/news/publics...people/1041591
    Last edited by rebootit; March 17th, 2011 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Forgot URL

and then there are these...
    BRYCO ARMS
    MODEL 59,
    9MM LUGER CALIBER, SEMIAUTOMATIC PISTOL
    WARNING: The Bryco Arms, model 59, 9mm Luger caliber, semiautomatic pistol is subject to misfeeding and jamming during the loading of cartridges into the chamber from the magazine. If the primer of a cartridge comes in contact with internal parts, such as the tip of the ejector, an unintentional discharge may result. This occurs while the port is open and without the trigger being pulled. This situation is extremely dangerous and could result in serious injury.

Source:

AFTE Journal, Summer 1999; Volume 31, Number 3:379-381

BRYCO ARMS
    MODEL JENNINGS NINE,
    9MM LUGER CALIBER, SEMIAUTOMATIC PISTOL

WARNING: The Bryco Arms, model Jennings Nine, 9mm Luger caliber, semiautomatic pistol is subject to accidental discharge. The pistol MAGAZINE SAFETY is subject to FAILURE when the trigger is pulled and the magazine release button is depressed simultaneously. When this occurs the pistol will fire even though the magazine has been removed from the pistol.

Source:

AFTE Journal, Summer 1999; Volume 31, Number 3:379-381

BRYCO ARMS
    Model Jennings Nine,
    9mm LUGER caliber Semiautomatic Pistol

WARNING: These pistols may create an EXTREMELY DANGEROUS CONDITION and a POTENTIAL FOR SERIOUS INJURY by firing without pulling the trigger.

During the testing of a Bryco Arms, Jennings Nine pistol by a forensic firearms examiner it was noted that it would fire upon release of the thumb safety and spontaneously fire in a FULL AUTO MODE on an inconsistent bases. When loaded with the manual thumb safety in the “safe” position, if the trigger of the submitted firearm has been pulled stiffly a few times, the firearm will discharge when the thumb safety is moved to the “fire” position.

Disassembly of the pistol revealed some wear/damage to the sear which allows slight downward movement when the trigger is pulled. It appears due to the wear/damage the sear/striker engagement is reduced allowing the striker to override the sear after the thumb safety is released.

MANUALLY UNLOADING THIS PISTOL MAY BE VERY DANGEROUS SINCE IT COULD DISCHARGE DURING THIS PROCEDURE.

Source:

AFTE Journal, Spring 2001; Volume 33, Number 2:145-147
    Illinois State Police Laboratory, Springfield - Notice, December 7, 2000

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast