Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default Re: How "unsafe" is (Bryco) Jennings?

I would own one, I wouldn't pay much for one but I'd probably own one. Why? Just to see if I can get a gun that everyone hates to run well. I think I could too, it would be fun. If I can't, oh well.

I wouldn't bet my life on it, unless I put at least 500 rounds through it with one or two failures.

If you can get one to run well it wouldn't be a bad gun to throw in the trunk or anywhere you don't want to put a $500 Glock.

That being said, there are better cheap guns you probably won't care much about. A Hi-Point, surplus Nagants or FEGs, etc.

(Allegheny County)

I don't have any experience with a Bryco/Jennings, however I think your premise of saying that the only alternative is to spend $600 is way off base. As others have noted there are guns which you can get. Definitely you could find used guns and police trade-ins, for around $300 or even less, that would be reliable and suitable for personal protection.
    It just takes some legwork checking out your local gunshops or gunshows and the internet auction sites like gunbroker/auctionarms/gunsamerica.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Flint Lock View Post
    When I ask why they are junk the response is, "because they have a bad reputation." That doesn't prove anything.
    But, understand how silly and irrational it would be to abandon this gun that performs satisfactorily for me just because of unverifiable rumors in the internet.
    I answered your question as to why it is junk, but apparently unless the gun blew up in my hand with witnesses, it's just "rumors". I've seen them, shot them, witnessed their accuracy(or lack thereof). I've never owned one, but if I had and it caused me problems enough to send back, I wouldn't discount the poor rep on them because the problem was "fixed".
    Ok, I've got the response your looking for.
    "YOU'VE GOT A JENNINGS?? SAH-WEET!!! I feel like such a dope buying a S&W for $300 when I could of saved myself $250 and bought a JENNINGS! You sure are right about those Jennings. I'd bet my life on it functioning perfectly each and every time I might need to defend my life or my families'."

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bib View Post
    As to the "Blowing-up", what's happening is fracturing of the slide or frame which allows parts to head for the shooter's face... It happens so fast that it looks like an explosion.

I had a Bryco .380 that was relaible and accurate....I started shooting it often. After 500 or so rounds I spotted a crack forming in the frame so I sent it back....
    I had one of these in .380

After shooting it for about an hour one time the trigger stopped working and I threw it in a drawer. When I looked at the gun about a year later there was a large crack in the slide. This was not from firing the gun, but simply the pressure of the recoil spring on the slide.

If that isn't jumk then I don't know what is.

These guns are made of a soft alloy and are cast to keep the cost down.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Whiterook View Post
    I would own one, I wouldn't pay much for one but I'd probably own one. Why? Just to see if I can get a gun that everyone hates to run well. I think I could too, it would be fun. If I can't, oh well.

I wouldn't bet my life on it, unless I put at least 500 rounds through it with one or two failures.

If you can get one to run well it wouldn't be a bad gun to throw in the trunk or anywhere you don't want to put a $500 Glock.

That being said, there are better cheap guns you probably won't care much about. A Hi-Point, surplus Nagants or FEGs, etc.
    Wanna buy a J-22??

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    Wanna buy a J-22??
    Just save yourself the guilt and give it to him.

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    Wanna buy a J-22??
    Actually, I have a J-22 that works good. I think the small .22 round isn't powerful enough to blow it up. Just don't use SSS loads in it

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by QuakertownRich View Post
    Just save yourself the guilt and give it to him.
    Considering how much it would be worth if I went back to the enabler I bought it from, that's not really too far-fetched. The cost of the transfer would make his total cost more than the gun is worth.
    The problem is that I don't know how to get rid of a gun, I only buy them.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by QuakertownRich View Post
    I answered your question as to why it is junk, but apparently unless the gun blew up in my hand with witnesses, it's just "rumors". I've seen them, shot them, witnessed their accuracy(or lack thereof). I've never owned one, but if I had and it caused me problems enough to send back, I wouldn't discount the poor rep on them because the problem was "fixed".
    Ok, I've got the response your looking for.
    "YOU'VE GOT A JENNINGS?? SAH-WEET!!! I feel like such a dope buying a S&W for $300 when I could of saved myself $250 and bought a JENNINGS! You sure are right about those Jennings. I'd bet my life on it functioning perfectly each and every time I might need to defend my life or my families'."
    I think the OP's reason for starting this thread was to get some first-hand or second-hand experience regarding the safety of these guns, not just an "I heard on the interwebs that someone's friend of a friend has a catastrophic malfunction." Also, I believe he was hoping to hear from people who had had positive experiences, as few people complain about how safe and reliable their guns are...

For me, the case would be sealed with the fact that one can't safely carry with a loaded chamber. To me, a gun without a loaded chamber is a paperweight... but others are comfortable carrying with an empty chamber.
    Safety is a good tool for tyrants; no one can be against safety.

Μολὼν λαβέ

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by P-11 shooter View Post
    Actually, I have a J-22 that works good. I think the small .22 round isn't powerful enough to blow it up. Just don't use SSS loads in it
    remember that thread about the girl here in PA that the slide came off of and busted her in the face? It was on the news with her telling everyone to not shoot these guns. What model was that?

you know............

and then she signed up on the forum

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast