Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default First time firearm purchaser

Howdy all,
    I've been reading the discussions here for about a week now and like the feedback so I decided to post.
    I'll be purchasing a pistol in the next few months and would love to hear personal experiences. I consider myself an intermediate level shooter and am buying for target shooting/ home defense. My Pop (former USMC) is all about the 1911 and I love it as well. I'm a big fan of the characteristics of the .45 acp except for the price. So, I've been to the ranges and rented some 9mm to give them a whirl. Had positive sessions and hence my thinking. Get a 1911 and spend mucho bucks in ammo getting familiar/training with it. Get a 9mm and keep it a little lighter cost wise. Ultimately, if it came down to dispatching zombies, 7-14 rds. of .45acp or 15-17 9mm? +P of course.
    Cheers and thanks in advance.

Default Re: First time firearm purchaser

9mm for two reasons:

1. Cheaper ammo for practice. Practice makes better. Better practice makes perfect.

2. Two in the chest and one in the "computer" and you're just as "Stopped" as you would be with as .45.

Many 1911 style pistols come in 9mm. I love the .45ACP round and the 1911 platform, but since I'm not a reloader and have a finite budget for my shooting expenses I spend 99% of the time shooting my 9mm. It's proliferation in the firearms market makes it easy to find both practice and defensive rounds cheap.

my $0.02

Quote Originally Posted by XwazaX View Post
    Howdy all,
    I've been reading the discussions here for about a week now and like the feedback so I decided to post.
    I'll be purchasing a pistol in the next few months and would love to hear personal experiences. I consider myself an intermediate level shooter and am buying for target shooting/ home defense. My Pop (former USMC) is all about the 1911 and I love it as well. I'm a big fan of the characteristics of the .45 acp except for the price. So, I've been to the ranges and rented some 9mm to give them a whirl. Had positive sessions and hence my thinking. Get a 1911 and spend mucho bucks in ammo getting familiar/training with it. Get a 9mm and keep it a little lighter cost wise. Ultimately, if it came down to dispatching zombies, 7-14 rds. of .45acp or 15-17 9mm? +P of course.
    Cheers and thanks in advance.
    I don't think that's enough firepower for zombies. Also a 9mm pistol isn't always low cost. It all depends on what you need it for. A kahr pm9 and ra9t talons is enough for me every day but thats not the zombie gun, the saiga 12 and drum are on zombie/SHTF duty.
    Last edited by archangel689; December 23rd, 2008 at 11:27 AM.

(Dauphin County)

Yea go with the 9mm or even better get your 1911 in a 9mm chambering! The weapon is only as good as the person shooting it, so if you can lay effetice rounds on target with a 9mm rather than no rounds on target with a .45 then the gun dose you no good, you see where im getting at. Plus its alot cheaper to practice with over the .45. With the 9mm defense loadings offered today the 9mm in a very capable self defense round and zombie round. A 9mm slug COM will ruin anyone's day, heck a .22 will do that too.

(Philadelphia County)

Thank you much for your input.
    I am leaning that way (1911 in 9mm) as we speak. Any input in that area? I am very interested in Para but have not fired one and get mixed feedback in my research. Ha, first hit after googling 1911 9mm is "once considered a sissy gun."
    I recently fired the M9 or 92 (guess they're similar) and the PX4. I liked the M9 very much so would not discount one of those.
    Thoughts and comments are greatly appreciated.

(Dauphin County)

Springfield and Taurus both make 1911's in 9mm. Para is a quality product also I have shot one of their .45's and it was very nice

http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=22

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/29316

(Berks County)

I have Glocks, BHPs and XDs and I prefer the XDs for daily cary but I would recommend that you try all three. The XD will probably feel better to you since the grip angle is very much like that of the 1911 or the BHP. There are a ton of people who love the Glocks though.

The absolute best advice I can give you though is to rent any or all of the handguns you are interested in and put some rounds down range, you may be surprised that a firearm that you didn't think you'd like is one that you are both comfortable and accurate with.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

Quote Originally Posted by XwazaX View Post
    Thank you much for your input.
    I am leaning that way (1911 in 9mm) as we speak. Any input in that area? I am very interested in Para but have not fired one and get mixed feedback in my research. Ha, first hit after googling 1911 9mm is "once considered a sissy gun."
    I recently fired the M9 or 92 (guess they're similar) and the PX4. I liked the M9 very much so would not discount one of those.
    Thoughts and comments are greatly appreciated.
    Who cares what people say about it being a "sissy gun?" Find what you like & to hell with what people think. I carry a .32ACP subcompact at times. .32 is considered by some to be antiquated, outdated and underpowered. I don't care. I'm comfortable with the weapon, and Rule #1: Always bring a gun to a gunfight.
    As long as you can shoot straight, carry confidently, and be disciplined with it it's not "sissy." It's YOUR weapon.
    M9 Is an excellent weapon. Lg. Grip area, reliable, and easy to find.

Good luck with your decision.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpshooter9x19 View Post
    Who cares what people say about it being a "sissy gun?" Find what you like & to hell with what people think. I carry a .32ACP subcompact at times. .32 is considered by some to be antiquated, outdated and underpowered. I don't care. I'm comfortable with the weapon, and Rule #1: Always bring a gun to a gunfight.
    As long as you can shoot straight, carry confidently, and be disciplined with it it's not "sissy." It's YOUR weapon.
    M9 Is an excellent weapon. Lg. Grip area, reliable, and easy to find.

Good luck with your decision.
    Completely agree with the above statement. I carry a .380 on work days and 9mm when not working. Even if it was a .22 well placed shot will end it all regardless of caliber. More people are killed by .22's than any other caliber

(Lehigh County)

hey you gotta buy what you like. throw some +p in it for "other than target shooting"

personally, I like both the new XD and the FN in .40... capacity, power, and reliability, and a bit cheaper than most 1911's.
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but believe me, it's on the damned list.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast