Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default PSL and RPK questions

First off, does anyone know where to find one? I am primarily trying to find the
    74 versions of the RPK since I have a SAR-2.
    but I'm more interested in the PSL and I found them on AimSurplus.com. Does
    $700 sound fair for a new PSL? And does anyone have any experience with either firearm? They found like awesome weapons, but i have never fired either.Thank you all for your help.

PS -Sorry if these posts are sounding funny, i'm really sick and pumped full of night-quil and ill probably laugh about them tomorrow.

Default Re: PSL and RPK questions

My local shop had a PSL that actually lasted a few weeks but when I went in last Saturday it was gone, price was 820 so 700 sounds like a deal especially in this buying panic. I don't have any experience with them so I can't help ya there, but I'd love to have one.
    Welcome to the forum

(Bucks County)

militarygunsupply.com was advertising the availability of RPK-74's for a while. You might want to call them and see if they have any left. I know they have parts kits and receivers if you want to build your own.

PSL's are fun, and the ammo is cheap. I picked one up, along with a Polish Tantal, from Surplus City, for $1300 cash OTD.

(Allegheny County)

Welcome to the forum.

$700 for the PSL is definitely a good price. If your looking for one and found it at that price, definitely jump on it.

As for the '74 RPK ... good luck. I would think that those would be hard to find, and if you can find them you will pay a nice premium for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Blair County)

I've shot a full auto RPK 47.

As a shooter, without the full auto capability, the RPK doesn't do anything the AK doesn't do, but its significantly heavier and more awkward. It's really made to be fired from the bipod.

With full auto, it's a decent squad automatic weapon, but not as good as the RPD, which it largely replaced. The only advantage is it fires from the same mags as the rifle. This generally lets you reload faster than you can reload a belt fed, but you reload more often because the capacity is lower.
    PREPARE FOR BATTLE

(Lehigh County)

I picked up my PSL from AIM surplus and after checking numerous other sources, they had the best price, so I snapped it up. I have had it for about 3 months and I am pleased with its performance.

A friend on mine has an SVD Tiger, we go shooting quite often and after comparing the 2 I would have to say that I am very much pleased with the PSL as the recoil is much less and the gun shoots just as accurately.

2 things worth noting, the PSOP optic included is 4x and the tritium reticle within is probably long dead, but the optic itself is actually pretty good. Also the ammo you use you probably want to be 150 grain or less as from what I have read the larger grain rounds will really do a number on the receiver and gas assembly.

Thats my 2 cents.

I agree with Stampeed Valkyrie about the ammo, but I say under 160. You can shoot the 157 grain. Seems like the Romanian's made 'em to shoot cheap surplus.

Classic arms inc has them too, same price, as good or better quality from reviews. Faster shipping. They sell out quick, so get over there!

They have the AES-10B's as well. Nice beefy AK variant with upgrades all around. Hello accuracy! Put on a dragunov stock and there's the look.

The PSL and the AES-10B are on my "to buy when I win the scratch-off lottery" list. LOL

Thank for the help guys, I'm getting a full time job that pays a little more then waiting tables in January. so im hoping to finally build my AR-15 (i have been sitting on a lower for awhile), get a PSL, and RPK hopefully before February.

(Blair County)

I just ordered a PSL from AIM Surplus, I'll post a range report when I get it.
    PREPARE FOR BATTLE

(Montgomery County)

I have both. The PSL is basically a long AK. Interally it isn't the same as a Russian or Chinese dragunov. That is a very tired thread topic over at THR. Overall, a Century made PSL is going to be hit or miss.

An RPK-74 is going to be harder to get than say 6 months ago. Not a huge amount came into the US before the ATF kit ban, so they are going to be more $$$ than other AKs. If you like shooting 5.45 x 39, you'll really like it. Smooth as silk, and yes you can burp fire it full auto if you want. Heavier or course, because of a thicker barrel, but nice bipod. It has a cool military history feel to it- it was used in Afghanistan, Chechnya, and I've seen it used in the recent Georgia conflict. I really like it.

You can check with Vector- they still have them on their web site for around $1,000. Atlantic sold out of them. I saw one on GB for $1600, but that is a typical obamapanic fishing trip by a seller (seeing who will bite).

I am really into Soviet weapons. The PSL lost its "cool factor" fairly early on, however the RPK-74 is a crown jewel in the safe.

Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast