Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Looking to join a range near Pittsburgh- need advice.

I have been looking for a range to join. I don't have any friends who have joined a range and very few who actually shoot. The only range I'm considering so far is Pitcairn-Monroeville Sportsmen's Club. The rules seem appropriate and the distance is not bad for me (17 miles). I live in the Brendwood area south of the city of Pittsburgh.

To join Pitcarin-Monroeville the application asks for two members to vouch for you. Does anyone know if this is required? can I show up with out this section of the application filled out and still be considered?

Anyone have any recommendations? If anyone would be willing to take me shooting somewhere I would be tickled. (26/m D&D free) --j/k

I would like to do more than just shoot paper, I have heard about the CMP and I really enjoy plinking (shooting at fixed metal targets(not shooting cans at close range). I have always wanted to go to an indoor pistol range as well.

I used to frequent the Beaver Vally Rifleman's club (sp??) (the range in Darlington) before it was members only and I loved this range 100%. Great people there and they allow things like shooting prone etc. I hear some ranges only only shooting from the bench.

I have just started reloading my own ammo so even if the place only has a rifle range with paper I would still be very interested.

I shoot an AR, mauser, ak, handguns and a couple break action shotguns for trap if that makes a difference (I hear that some ranges do not allow magazine feed rifles????)

Thanks,

-Ben
    Last edited by progman; August 20th, 2011 at 10:07 PM.

Default Re: Looking to join a range near Pittsburgh- need advice.

PM has CMP and NRA HP matches that are open to the public. I would suggest attending a few of the matches, demonstrate an interest in shooting safely, and learning who on the line are members or the match directors, and then get them to put their names to your application.

I am not a member of the club but over the past few years, I have shot some of their matches when in the area. They run a well organized, safe high power match and the guys there have always treated me well.

The club has permitted me to shoot my AR15 in their CMP M1 Garand matches (out of competition). I pay to shoot as everyone else but my score is not reported. In the NRA matches I shoot the AR service rifle. Very nice that they accommodate me in the CMP matches.

Another good club to look into is Clairton, http://www.clairtonsc.org/ , they have CMP and NRA matches, their range goes out to 300 and they use pits for their matches. I have shot matches there as well and they to have a good group of guys and the facility is nice.
    Last edited by X Hunter; August 21st, 2011 at 09:02 AM. Reason: add clairton