Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default 2009 MPOETC Mandatory In-Service Training

Looking at the MPOETC 2009 Mandatory In-Service Training Topics I had a thought. It appears the required training material covers new laws and new case laws. Since OC is not legal because of a law, but because of the lack of a law prohibiting it, that may be a reason why it's not covered. They focus on law that police officers can cite or arrest for, not situations that are not illegal.

I know, I know, you're asking if they are NOT taught it's not illegal then how would one think it is illegal. I can't answer that, maybe urban legend, false assumptions, I really don't know and not the topic of this post.

The challenge is to get law enforcement educated and IMHO with as little pain to all parties involved.

I plan on writing an email to the Executive Director of MPOETC (Major John M. Gallaher, jgallaher@state.pa.us 717-346-7749) and see if he can arrange to have the OC topic included in the 2009 Mandatory In-Service Training Topics. I'll post a draft here before I send it.

Oh and I am not doing this in any official capacity, just a normal concerned citizen of this great Commonwealth.

Here's what they list for 2009 Mandatory In-Service Training Program
    Based on a recommendation from the In-Service Training Committee, the Commission has
    approved the following courses for the 2009 Mandatory In-Service Training Program Curriculum:
    09-201 – Legal Update: Best Practices and Current Issues for Law Enforcement
    3-hour Required Course
    This three-hour Mandatory In-Service Training (MIST) course covers legal issues affecting
    municipal police officers throughout the Commonwealth. The course, a required class in the MIST
    curriculum over the past eighteen years, will cover topics such as, new criminal and traffic laws,
    Rules of Criminal Procedure updates, and changes in other statutes related to law enforcement.
    The 2009 course will update municipal police officers on “best practices” which may be used in
    subject areas such as, Eyewitness Identification, Custodial Interrogations, Informant Testimony,
    Forensic Science, Strip Searches and it will provide an overview of Pennsylvania’s Statewide
    Automated Victims Information and Notification Service (PA SAVIN).
    The course will also address landmark United States Supreme Court opinions and current
    Pennsylvania court decisions regarding Search and Seizure as well as other pertinent criminal and
    traffic case law.

And here is the list of 2009 Quarterly MPOETC Commission meetings which I think are open to the public.

MARCH 10, 11, and 12
    Holiday Inn-Harrisburg/Hershey
    604 Station Road
    Grantville, Pennsylvania 17028
    (717) 469-0661

JUNE 16, 17, and 18
    Toftrees Conference Center
    One Country Club Lane
    State College, Pennsylvania 16803
    (814) 234-8000

SEPTEMBER 15, 16, and 17
    Doubletree Hotel-Pittsburgh City Center
    One Bigelow Square
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15219
    (412) 281-5800

DECEMBER 8, 9, and 10
    Eisenhower Hotel & Conference Center
    2634 Emmitsburg Road
    Gettysburg, Pennsylvania 17325
    (717) 334-8121
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Indiana County)

Default Re: 2009 MPOETC Mandatory In-Service Training

Back on July 17th of this year I sent the following e-mail to the MPOETC people:
    Major Gallaher, Director Grubesky, and Commission Members:

I am a member of the Pennsylvania Firearms Association (PAFOA), a sitting Borough Council President, and a retired U.S. Army Master Sergeant.

On July 4th, the anniversary of our Declaration of Independence from an oppressive regime, a Pennsylvanian was once again hassled by local police due to a lack of training and knowledge, this time in RobinsonTownship (AlleghenyCounty).

The individual concerned was lawfully openly carrying a firearm, as was his right, and, according to the report, a RobinsonTownship police officer said, “This isn’t the Wild West, you can’t just carry it openly like that”

The Borough of Dickson City (LackawannaCounty) presently has two federal civil rights lawsuits filed against it because its officers either were not properly trained, or chose to ignore that training. This may not be the “Wild West” (which really wasn’t all that “wild”), but Open Carry of firearms in Pennsylvania is not illegal.

The City of Wilkes-Barre (Luzerne County), due to the actions of some police officers, will have firearms owners descend on its next City Council meeting to ask that they get the word out to their officers – the open carry of firearms in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania is not prohibited by law, and has two Pennsylvania Supreme Court decisions to back that up.

The City of
    Pittsburgh (AlleghenyCounty) will also have PAFOA members address its City Council meeting on the very same subject – stop harassing law-abiding citizens exercising their rights and comply with the law.

As more people become educated, there has been an increase in the Commonwealth of citizens exercising their right to carry a firearm openly (within the confines of the controlling statutes, of course). I have discussed the topic with local people as well as people residing in other parts of the Commonwealth, including several law enforcement officers. I was disappointed to find that a number of the officers engaged by myself and others had incorrect knowledge of Pennsylvania’s Uniform Firearms Act and its resultant legality of and restrictions to “open carry”. Apparently the subject is not mentioned at all in the annual MPOETC training curriculum. How can law enforcement officers enforce the law if they don’t know the law? Pennsylvanians do not want opinion enforcement officers, they want law enforcement officers.

Enclosed please find a copy of a training bulletin entitled “Open Carry of a Firearm in
    Pennsylvania”. The document was created by “Pa. Patriot,” a member of the Pennsylvania Firearms Owner’s Association.

I submit the enclosed document in hopes that it might be useful, if, as, and where appropriate as a basis for any training memos or sessions in the event you deem them necessary for your department’s officers, and police officers statewide.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if any other information is needed or if I can be of any other assistance in this matter.

Respectfully,
    A separate letter, hard copy, also went to the Pennsylvania State Police Commissioner.

P.S. Never received a response from either.

(Luzerne County)

They do not list every single topic that will be covered in that block of instruction. So the topic of OC may be covered, but not listed.

(Allegheny County)

There are something like 18 members of the commission, did you send your email to them all?
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Indiana County)

I believe I did.

(Adams County)

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I KNOW FOR A FACT that the legality of OC is covered in the 2009 legal updates for MPOETC.

By the end of the year, ALL municipal officers in the Commonwealth of PA will be informed that OC is legal in PA.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    Sorry to revive an old thread, but I KNOW FOR A FACT that the legality of OC is covered in the 2009 legal updates for MPOETC.

By the end of the year, ALL municipal officers in the Commonwealth of PA will be informed that OC is legal in PA.
    I'm guessing you took the class? Can you elaborate on what was covered and the manner in which it was presented?

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    I'm guessing you took the class? Can you elaborate on what was covered and the manner in which it was presented?
    Not at this time, but this site was mentioned.

I will say that it was covered with a neutral tone, neither positive nor negative, towards OC in general or OC'ers specifically.
    Last edited by bigbear; January 22nd, 2009 at 06:37 PM.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    Not at this time, but this site was mentioned.

I will say that it was covered with a neutral tone, neither positive nor negative, towards OC in general or OC'ers specifically.
    ETA~The hesitation was explained, and I apologize if I came across as overly sarcastic. Thanks for the confirmation of it's inclusion though
    Last edited by headcase; January 22nd, 2009 at 07:06 PM.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Lancaster County)

I recently graduated from Police Academy. OC was covered in much the same way, very mater of factly, without positive or negative. It was explicitly referenced both in class an in our patrol operations and tactics as well. Rest assured that many police officers are aware of the OC laws and new officers are being taught how to handle the situation properly.

Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast