Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Wal-Mart Arms Greeters With Semi-Automatic Weapons

http://www.crystalair.com/content.php?id=75200812001

BENTONVILLE, Ark. (CAP) - In the wake of the trampling death of one of its employees during a "Black Friday" shoppers stampede in Long Island, N.Y., Wal-Mart has announced that its greeters will be outfitted with body armor and Kimber ICQB semi-automatic pistols, effective immediately.

"We know our customers are always excited to experience our high quality merchandise and terrific values," said Wal-Mart director of security Clint Redman. "That said, we want them to realize that if they become unruly, we are within our rights to shoot them in the chest."

The move to arm greeters has raised eyebrows in some quarters, particularly given the problems Wal-Mart encountered in 2005 when it tried outfitting some greeters with Tasers. Wal-Mart aborted the program when it came out that more than half of those greeters wound up accidentally shocking themselves while on duty.

"It was getting to the point where small children wouldn't want to come into the store, because they were afraid they might see the greeter lying on the floor convulsing again," admitted Redman.

However, Redman attributed that problem to the "generation gap" involved in issuing such "new-fangled" equipment to greeters, most of whom are over 75 and unfamiliar with much of the technology involved in modern retail, such as Tasers, product scanners and cash registers.

"In my day an old shoe box full of change worked just fine," said Clarence Friedrichsen, 83, a greeter at the Wal-Mart Supercenter in Boonville, Ind.

But as for firearms, Redman noted that most of the greeters are very comfortable with carrying them, and many have even offered to bring in their own weapons to work.

"It just make senses for us to be carrying," said Friedrichsen, waving his locked and loaded Colt M1911A1. "Frankly, I've been lugging this baby around since the war, and I figure I don't have much time left to get a few more notches on the old barrel."

Fred Cranston, 79, a greeter at the Wal-Mart in Caruthersville, Mo., agreed. "Between you and me, I've been bringing my piece to work for years," he said over the sound of his Browning 9mm pistol discharging as he practiced shooting coffee cans off the fence in his backyard. "Sometimes when a kid's yowling or acting up, I'll lift my shirt and show him the handle sticking out of my waistband. I tell ya, that stops 'em crying right quick."

Still, there are those who are afraid that arming the greeters might just escalate the violence and even increase annual fatalities at Wal-Mart, which tend to average between 250-300 customers and employees, typically the result of boxes that fall on them from a high shelf.

"It's our opinion that fewer guns is always better than more guns," said Darlene Fortenski of Mothers Against Everything (MAE), whose group has also raised concerns over small children injured when the bins of $5 DVDs nobody wants have overflowed, burying them.

Still, Wal-Mart seems determined to go forward with the plan. "We plan to have every greeter armed by the start of next month," said Redman, if they can get the training done and reassign to other positions the 30 percent of greeters known to have at least one glass eye and/or a history of psychosis.
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Wal-Mart Arms Greeters With Semi-Automatic Weapons

WOW, I seriously hope this is a joke. Arming 80 year old greeters that make $7 an hour is not such a good idea. While I’m all for people arming themselves, I don’t think Wal-Mart should give protection responsibility to 80 year old greeters. If they want to “protect” people in their stores, they should pony up and higher a trained security force. I can see it now. A senile 80 year old Wal-Mart greeter pulls his weapon and shoots a punk kid because the kid mouthed off and refused to show them their receipt. BAD IDEA.

(Lawrence County)

That sure reads like something from The onion.

Lycansnopesithrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

Sounds like k-mart is putting this out.

Everyday, Love your Wife. She might love you back twice that day. :D

(Northampton County)

At first it was a little funny, but as it turned into a list of Brady-esque stereotypes of gun owners, it got decidedly less funny.

Articles written like this appear far too often already in the MSM under the guise of "news", so it's not exactly entertaining to read an attempt to push the alienation of the gun owner just a little bit further.
    Safety is a good tool for tyrants; no one can be against safety.

Μολὼν λαβέ

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by tdyoung58 View Post
    http://www.crystalair.com/content.php?id=75200812001

BENTONVILLE, Ark. (CAP) - In the wake of the trampling death of one of its employees during a "Black Friday" shoppers stampede in Long Island, N.Y., Wal-Mart has announced that its greeters will be outfitted with body armor and Kimber ICQB semi-automatic pistols, effective immediately.

"We know our customers are always excited to experience our high quality merchandise and terrific values," said Wal-Mart director of security Clint Redman. #1."That said, we want them to realize that if they become unruly, we are within our rights to shoot them in the chest."

The move to arm greeters has raised eyebrows in some quarters, particularly given the problems Wal-Mart encountered in 2005 when it tried outfitting some greeters with Tasers. Wal-Mart aborted the program when it came out that more than half of those greeters wound up accidentally shocking themselves while on duty.

#2."It was getting to the point where small children wouldn't want to come into the store, because they were afraid they might see the greeter lying on the floor convulsing again," admitted Redman.

However, Redman attributed that problem to the "generation gap" involved in issuing such "new-fangled" equipment to greeters, most of whom are over 75 and unfamiliar with much of the technology involved in modern retail, such as Tasers, product scanners and cash registers.

"In my day an old shoe box full of change worked just fine," said Clarence Friedrichsen, 83, a greeter at the Wal-Mart Supercenter in Boonville, Ind.

But as for firearms, Redman noted that most of the greeters are very comfortable with carrying them, and many have even offered to bring in their own weapons to work.

"It just make senses for us to be carrying," said Friedrichsen, waving his locked and loaded Colt M1911A1. #3."Frankly, I've been lugging this baby around since the war, and I figure I don't have much time left to get a few more notches on the old barrel."

Fred Cranston, 79, a greeter at the Wal-Mart in Caruthersville, Mo., agreed. "Between you and me, I've been bringing my piece to work for years," he said over the sound of his Browning 9mm pistol discharging as he practiced shooting coffee cans off the fence in his backyard. "#4.Sometimes when a kid's yowling or acting up, I'll lift my shirt and show him the handle sticking out of my waistband. I tell ya, that stops 'em crying right quick."

Still, there are those who are afraid that arming the greeters might just escalate the violence and even increase annual fatalities at Wal-Mart, which tend to average between 250-300 customers and employees, typically the result of boxes that fall on them from a high shelf.

"It's our opinion that fewer guns is always better than more guns," said Darlene Fortenski of #5.Mothers Against Everything (MAE), whose group has also raised concerns over small children injured when the bins of $5 DVDs nobody wants have overflowed, burying them.

Still, Wal-Mart seems determined to go forward with the plan. "We plan to have every greeter armed by the start of next month," said Redman, if they can get the training done and reassign to other positions the 30 percent of greeters known to have at least one glass eye and/or a history of psychosis.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA....

5 GREAT POINTS THAT JUST HAD ME ON THE FLOOR CRYING FROM LAUGHING.
    "Do not use K-9 advantix on cats"

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Guns4Fun View Post
    WOW, I seriously hope this is a joke. Arming 80 year old greeters that make $7 an hour is not such a good idea. While I’m all for people arming themselves, I don’t think Wal-Mart should give protection responsibility to 80 year old greeters. If they want to “protect” people in their stores, they should pony up and higher a trained security force. I can see it now. A senile 80 year old Wal-Mart greeter pulls his weapon and shoots a punk kid because the kid mouthed off and refused to show them their receipt. BAD IDEA.
    I am quite certain this is a joke.
    Debate Politics Online at Defending the Truth!