Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Lethal Force Institute

I'm posting this in General, just because Training seems more geared towards scheduling, and what not, and I wanted to make sure folks see it (my own bias is showing, I rarely peruse Training).

I'm taking the LFI course in Harrisburg 6/21-6/24. Is anyone else taking (or considering) it?

And has anyone taken any of the LFI courses?
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Lethal Force Institute

Quote Originally Posted by Rule10b5 View Post
    I'm posting this in General, just because Training seems more geared towards scheduling, and what not, and I wanted to make sure folks see it (my own bias is showing, I rarely peruse Training).

I'm taking the LFI course in Harrisburg 6/21-6/24. Is anyone else taking (or considering) it?

And has anyone taken any of the LFI courses?
    I have not taken LFI, but it is on my short list of must-take courses.

If I'm not mistaken, LFI is half classwork and half shooting. If you want just the classroom (which is the one indispensible value-add you can't get elsewhere), Judicious Use of Deadly Force might be an option....although obviously you have to choose from what's available nearby.

Btw, you do know that LFI-2 is the very next week at the same place?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by dgg9 View Post
    I have not taken LFI, but it is on my short list of must-take courses.

If I'm not mistaken, LFI is half classwork and half shooting. If you want just the classroom (which is the one indispensible value-add you can't get elsewhere), Judicious Use of Deadly Force might be an option....although obviously you have to choose from what's available nearby.

Btw, you do know that LFI-2 is the very next week at the same place?
    I'm taking it for what are probably unusual reasons:

I'm (go figure) very comfortable with deadly force from a legal standpoint.

I'm mostly concerned with the physical aspects of deadly force. Mostly I'm trying to learn whatever techniques I can to minimize the chance that I'll be hurt incident to a gun fight. Hence the need for the shooting stuff.

As a secondary issue, I want the training for its impact in terms of aftermath. If I'm ever involved in a shooting, I absolutely don't want to be in the position of saying "I did X because of Y" -- but not be able to show, right then and there, why doing X was a good idea. If I take the class, I can say "I did X because of Y...because that is what I was taught to do by *prominent law enforcement trainer*" Also, if I've taken the course, I can use the instructor as an expert witness who can testify to my abilities on a first hand basis.

As far as LFI-II goes -- I can't be away from the office any more than I am, and my wife is irked at the $800 I've already spent. I'll take it next year or something
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rule10b5 View Post
    I'm mostly concerned with the physical aspects of deadly force. Mostly I'm trying to learn whatever techniques I can to minimize the chance that I'll be hurt incident to a gun fight. Hence the need for the shooting stuff.
    My point was that there is the LFI classroom stuff (unparalleled in the industry, AFAIK) -- and the shooting segment, which is not really different or better than the other good-to-top trainers out there. IOW, there's no pressing reason to go to Ayoob to learn tactics or how to shoot. Any of several dozen trainers can do that, and for much less than $800.

The value from Ayoob is the classroom stuff (and yes, the witness support, later on). So I would separate my agendas, and decide what you're after.

(Westmoreland County)

I've had both LFI 1 and LFI 2.

LFI 1 is well worth the money.

I can't say the same about LFI 2. However, I attended back in the late 90's and he may have revised his syllabus.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by dgg9 View Post
    My point was that there is the LFI classroom stuff (unparalleled in the industry, AFAIK) -- and the shooting segment, which is not really different or better than the other good-to-top trainers out there. IOW, there's no pressing reason to go to Ayoob to learn tactics or how to shoot. Any of several dozen trainers can do that, and for much less than $800.

The value from Ayoob is the classroom stuff (and yes, the witness support, later on). So I would separate my agendas, and decide what you're after.
    Good points.

(Allegheny County)

I have taken LFI I, my wife has taken LFI I & II. We both have worked as Range Staff during LFI I courses also.

LFI I is a valuable course for those that have chosen to carry a firearm. Their are also many other courses that one should attend if one has the availability to attend them.

I second TonyF’s opinion on LFI I being well worth the money.

Two of my students just attended LFI I in Florida this last winter, they felt it was well worth it.

Have a great time in the course; let us know what you thought of it.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

(Delaware County)

Didn't know that they had classes in PA. Harrisburg isn't really close, but it beats traveling to Arizona in July or something.

I'll have to look into that.
    Last edited by Suburban; March 29th, 2007 at 12:36 AM. Reason: speelng irrer

LFI's webiste: http://www.ayoob.com/index.html with couse schedules and info for those interested.
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

(Chester County)

Thanks for all the feedback, guys.

I think it'll be worth it, and certainly fun, in any case.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast