Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Savage 99

(Delaware County)

Default Savage 99

I have a 99C detachable mag model. Its in .243. Since it has no collector value and I have not shot it in years I was thinking of a rebarrel or rebore to a cartridge I have more use for. I'm thinking .308 or possibly .338Fed. Any leads on smiths who know 99's in SEPA area?
    NRA for life.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Savage 99

The money that you would spend to re barrel it would be better spent on a new gun and just leave that one alone - or sell it and use the money to buy something else.

A Model 99 is pretty hard to come by where I live - in the heart of deer country.

(Delaware County)

I kinda collect 99s have about 6 right now, had as many as 10 or so a while ago Kept the more interesting ones and traded or sold the others. The detachable mag 99c has about 0%Collector value and can be found for around $400 to $450. I love hunting with them, I love .308s and dont have one in a 99. The .338Fed is interesting to me, it seems natural to put em together if it can be done without breaking the bank. Now if i can just find one of the rascals in .375win that I can afford......
    NRA for life.

(Allegheny County)

Can't help with the original question. But since we're talking 99's, I have a question. I have my dads 1951 99f in .308. Its in good condition but I've heard that the stocks are prone to cracking. Where would that start? Is there a spot more likely to crack than others? And whats the best product to use to keep that from happening? Thanks for any help.

Most stock cracks when cause by a firearm is right where the steel meets with the wood. This is why many old rifles have a brass band there to avoid cracking. Natural preservatives like linseed oils can restore a wood from dry to a more moist form, but may sause some discoloration, there is a product that I am planning on buying soon that actually plastifies the wood. No not a mistake, it is used on old rotten wood when turning bowls, (I knew this would get your attention) In the woodworking industry, it is called a stabilizer, basically a very liquid plastic that hardens over time and becomes a wood plastic part!

For my find, You have to go kiss a Union Jack that PA Rifleman want's on my behalf! Muhahaha! here is the link. http://www.preservation-solutions.co...WoodStabilizer
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Delaware County)

99s are somewhat prone to cracking at the tang, a high stress area without a lot of wood. Sometimes the buttstock is not fully tight, and the action gets "a running start" to ram into this area, sometimes just vibration can do it.
    Very new here, If the mods dont mind I can post a link to another forum with the best material I've found on the subject.
    NRA for life.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
    For my find, You have to go kiss a Union Jack that PA Rifleman want's on my behalf!

Thanks for the help Frenchy, you're input is always appreciated. I'll be passing on that kiss however!

Tiocfaidh ár lá

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by CJR View Post
    Very new here, If the mods dont mind I can post a link to another forum with the best material I've found on the subject.

I don't think they'd mind at all. There are lots of links to good info all over this site.

Quote Originally Posted by pghplr View Post
    Thanks for the help Frenchy, you're input is always appreciated. I'll be passing on that kiss however!

Tiocfaidh ár lá
    Eh! it was worth a shot! Btw if you do order that, tell me first so we can safe on shipping, I was looking at the possibility of a 1 gal aparently this stuff goes a long way as it only replaces the pores and not the wood. Its like a plastic filler, I am also looking at making/buying a preasure tank to make the liquid fo in the wood under pressure.
    BTW that lathe is still here if you intend to turn bowls.

Edit to add: You do celtic now Your Irish is showing!
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Delaware County)

NRA for life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast